News:

• April 26, 2024, 12:13:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Team Scale for 2015  (Read 2771 times)

Offline Allen Goff

• Charter Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • Fellowship of Christan modelers
Team Scale for 2015
« on: October 07, 2014, 04:45:42 PM »
Many of us were talking at the NASA Classic this past weekend and we are going to try and "pump up" team scale. Here are some of the teams that are going to form for 2015. John Brodak / Harry Crespo, Grant Halstead / Fred Cronenwett, Mike McHenry / Allen Goff, and we already have Ed Mason / Bill Avera. The Scale Nats only has. 1 or 2 entries each year, let's see if we can make it better in 2015. Anyone else want to try your hand at team?
Sign on.  #^

Blessings
Allen
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 05:00:47 AM by Allen Goff »

Offline Jim Fruit

• Commander
Re: Team Scale for 2015
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014, 10:35:27 AM »
Allen:

I would not mind entering Team Scale, but I have no one that I could team up with. I am sort of a loner.

Just a side comment, I thought that Team Scale was created so that those of us who are of advanced age and have lost our hand/eye coordination abilities could still compete by teaming up with a younger pilot. All of the teams that you have mentioned are younger and very accomplished (constant 1st or 2nd finishes). If one is looking for a simple increase in competitors, I suppose that this proposed plan is a good approach. It is easy to understand why the participation in Team Scale, by its very nature, is marginal. Because of their advanced age, those competitors don't seem to hang around very long.

Jim Fruit

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 08:48:20 PM »
The event is just a spillover from RC.   They seem to think there are some builders who can't fly a model and hence the event.

CL Team Scale has become a Nats-only event.  A team of formed consisting to two able-bodied flyers for the purpose of claiming an otherwise unclaimed plaque.  In every case the so-called "non-flyer" actually flys in other events.  Time to stick a fork in it.

This is all just a matter of discussion.  It matters little whether this thing continues. It is even more perplexing given the current trend of deciding CL scale contests with little or no actual flying.
Paul Smith

Offline Allen Goff

• Charter Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2014, 06:17:17 AM »
Jim, you might get ahold of Jeff Hitchcock he lives in lower Michigan, he might be interested in teaming up with someone. He has not flown at the Nats in a couple of years now because of physical problems. He is planning on coming next year. Maybe Charlie Bauer, even tho he said he has retired he might be interested in someone flying his plane in team scale. Just a thought.

On a nether note, hay Will, how about you and Jeff Traxler as a team?

Blessings
Allen
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

The way to grow is to help, not criticize. What did grandma always say, if you can't say something nice, keep your mouth shut.

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2014, 12:44:08 PM »
In spite of the fact that "some" people just fail to understand the concept of team scale, it sounds like a good idea.  I mean, it doesn't say that only one person builds and the other fly.  I have no idea where THAT notion comes from, but it doesn't apply to C/L at all.
With that said, Jeff & I talked about it, and there might be a Tri-Pacer in the mix if we can just agree on who builds what sections. LL~ LL~ LL~
Remember, we said "Maybe."
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline Allen Goff

• Charter Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2014, 02:45:49 PM »
Maybe is a great start............................ n~

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2014, 11:55:29 AM »
Sites like this are about discussion of issues.

When you decide an event is worth saving and proceed to save it you are jumping to a conclusion.  Maybe Team was a "good idea"  that didn't work.

We would do better to just drop "team" a think up a new better idea like maybe splitting piston & electric or making a single engine only class.  

-----------
PS: The AMA Rule Book has always offered the concept of team entry to everyone in every event.  If two guys want to build model together they always had that option.
Paul Smith

Offline Jim Fruit

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2014, 12:42:27 PM »
Sites like this are about discussion of issues.

When you decide an event is worth saving and proceed to save it you are jumping to a conclusion.  Maybe Team was a "good idea"  that didn't work.

We would do better to just drop "team" a think up a new better idea like maybe splitting piston & electric or making a single engine only class.  

-----------
PS: The AMA Rule Book has always offered the concept of team entry to everyone in every event.  If two guys want to build model together they always had that option.

My mistake. I thought it had other, more particular, purpose.

JHF

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2014, 06:34:25 PM »
Or, we could go with the majority and still try team.  Hmmmm, do numbers make a difference?

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2014, 09:28:29 AM »
What happened to the old rule about proxy flying.   I know it is done in speed in which guys have someone else fly their planes.   
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2014, 10:24:21 AM »
What I like about the multiple events is that it makes the trip worth while when you drive from a distance. If you only bring one model and something goes wrong with the model you are done. But if you bring three models it is more work to fly 6 times that day but if one goes down you still have two events that you can fly.

A lot of us will drive 8 or more hours to come to a contest and having 2 or 3 events I can enter makes the trip easier to justify in terms of cost and time.

We have Military and Civilian sport scale at our Broken Arrow CL scale contest here in St Louis and we have noticed an increase in entries because folks can bring multiple models.

Team scale adds one event that will allow folks already traveling to the Nats to enter one more event. I plan on entering Team, Profile and Fun scale next year.

Grab that existing sport scale and find a pilot friend who will be at the Nats and form a team, adds to the spirit of the event and let's have some fun
this next year!

Fred
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale
Model Aviation CL Scale columnist

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2014, 12:20:28 PM »

Huh?

Where did this come from?  Maybe it happens where any BOM rule does not apply.  But certainly not in "every event".

Keith

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2014, 03:40:48 PM »
Team scale has a two people, one is the builder and other is the pilot. So builder of the model rule still applies. The rules state that is uses the same sport scale rules so everything is the same as sport scale.

Entries at the Nats (TEAM SCALE) have been declining over the years and just putting this out there for folks to consider. I think the Nats are the only place where Team scale is offered.

Fred
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 04:57:19 AM by Fred Cronenwett »
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale
Model Aviation CL Scale columnist

Offline Allen Goff

• Charter Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2014, 07:50:47 PM »
Contrary to the last statement the C/L scale Nats have not declined, check the AMA archives over the last ten years.

Now come on, team scale is all about FUN. I enjoy flying with my friends. Flying as a team with one of them would be to me as the true essence of modeling. If it were not fun I would go back to fishing for bass and walleye.

I wish I could live in Tucson and fly every day and have fun with my 1/2A's, you guys are sooooooooooo lucky.

Just my thoughts for tonight, or is it just indigestion.   n~

Blessings
Allen

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2014, 07:58:46 PM »
. . . I wish I could live in Tucson and fly every day and have fun with my 1/2A's, you guys are sooooooooooo lucky.
Blessings
Allen
=============================================================

You'd be more than welcome here.  Plenty of affordable housing available.

FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2014, 02:32:10 PM »
Sorry, friend Mike, you can't have him. n1 n1 n1

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2014, 05:48:31 PM »
You could come here too, Will.  Year-round flying..... y1
FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2014, 04:38:21 PM »
That's a very attractive offer, Mike, but who would pester my grandkids for me?

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here