News:

• May 01, 2024, 01:52:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: TEAM SCALE 2011 NATS, QUESTION?  (Read 657 times)

Offline Allen Goff

• Charter Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • Fellowship of Christan modelers
TEAM SCALE 2011 NATS, QUESTION?
« on: September 04, 2010, 01:34:24 PM »
 BEFORE THIS GOES ANY FUTHER, I MUST ASK A QUESTION FROM THOSE WHO FLY SCALE AT THE "NATS".
JACK SHEEKS WILL BE THE EVENT DIRECTOR FOR THE SCALE NATS IN 2011. WE WERE THINKING ABOUT ENTERING "TEAM SCALE" TOGETHER.
QUESTION; SHOULD WE?
I DON'T WANT TO STEP ON ANY MORE TOES ABOUT WHAT I FLY AT THE NATS. THANKS FOR YOUR ANSWERS.

BLESSINGS
ALLEN

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: TEAM SCALE 2011 NATS, QUESTION?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2010, 02:35:48 PM »
I don't remember an event director of the NATS entering the event he is managing.  Evn tho as Carrier director several times I would enter Sportsman when it was separate from the regular events.  Usually we were too busy to think about flying the event we were directing even with an assistant.  I did racing for a couple of years also. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
  • I am 5 Ft. 8 In., the Taube is 7 Ft. 4 In.
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2010, 05:11:43 PM »
Allen
The event 527, Control Line Team Scale is presently only a proposal # CLS 11-21 submitted by Charlie Bauer.  It has passed the Initial and Interim (their spelling not mine) votes but still needs to pass the Final vote.  I think it will.

The wording Charlie used for the rules are:

527_Team_Scale_All_the_same_rules_as_509_except_that_pilot_and_the_builder_must_be_present_

I guess if Jack is the Event Director then he should be present.
Clancy
Clancy Arnold
Indianapolis, IN   AMA 12560 LM-S
U/Tronics Control
U/Control with electronics added.

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2010, 09:51:07 AM »
The AMA Nats and a local contest are two different things.

At the local level, judges, event directors, and even Contest Directors find ways to complete and nobody minds.  The theory is, "we never give up an entry to get a judge".

But the Nats (and FAI Team Trials) are a whole different thing. Maintaining integrity and the image of integrity is all-important. 

In categories like Speed, Racing, and Combat, it's no problem for everybody to compete and take turns judging. We do it all the time.

But in events that are judged by personal opinion (Scale, Stunt, and Carrier), "I judge you/you judge me", just won't cut it. Let's assume we have five events and two event directors:  So Event Director A judges events 1, 2, and 3 and flies events 4 and 5.  Event Director B does the opposite.  This is a hypothetical example, remember that!  If the two Event Directors end up winning all five events (or even place highly) some of the "losers" will sense the smell of home cooking.

It's good to discuss these things on a theoretical level now, so they won't come up in reality later.

Paul Smith

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2010, 02:26:38 PM »
IF the event director is not a judge I see no problem.  The only possible problem would be that if a protest is filed in the team scale, will the event director be involved in settling the protest.  Even worse, what if the directors plane was the target of the protest.  I hope to make the 2011 Nats but I deffentally wont be competing in team scale - So no matter what is decided it won't hurt my feelings.  I am 1/2 spectator so more really nice aircraft is more eye candy for me.  SO I would say OK, let the event directors compete in team scale.

D>K  H^^
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2010, 04:52:02 PM »
Obviously, the person who originally posted this suspects the scheme is a bit questionable, otherwise, he wouldn't have launched the trial balloon.  These sort of things generally don't trigger protests - just people going away and not coming back.
Paul Smith

Offline Allen Goff

• Charter Member
  • Admiral
    • Fellowship of Christan modelers
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2010, 06:31:08 AM »
Thanks to all for your imput. Paul you state a very good point, "These sort of things generally don't trigger protests - just people going away and not coming back." and we don't want that to happen, we need them to feel as they have been treated fairly. I know I would not want to travel hundreds of mile to compete and come away with a sour tast about it all. Thanks again all.

Blessings
Allen

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here