News:

• April 30, 2024, 08:28:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Super G Connie  (Read 1047 times)

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • I am 5 Ft. 8 In., the Taube is 7 Ft. 4 In.
Super G Connie
« on: September 13, 2009, 06:05:10 AM »
After judging Charlie Bauer's Connie at the NATS and FCM contests this year, along comes an Email with this attached:

http://www.rbogash.com/Connie/connie-RME-SEA.html

Enjoy,

Clancy
Clancy Arnold
Indianapolis, IN   AMA 12560 LM-S
U/Tronics Control
U/Control with electronics added.

Alan Hahn

Re: Super G Connie
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2009, 06:28:43 PM »
My Dad flew the radar-equipped Super Constellations out of McClellan AFB (Sacramento Ca)--up and down the Pacific Coast--that was back in the late 50's, early 60's.

Offline John Witt

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2009, 06:40:08 PM »
I had a flight to Brazil in 1962 in a MATS C-121 as part of a Civil Air Patrol exchange program. We flew from Charlotte, W Va, to Zandirrij, Surinam, then to Rio de Janiero. Went back in the same plane while waiting an extra week while the C-121 had an engine changed in Surinam. As I recall, it was about 28 hrs each way. In the AF versions, the passenger seats faced rearward. It was interesting during the night portions to look out and see the exhast glowing. I always loved the looks of the Connie. When it was first introduced in WWII it was as fast as the front line fighters.

John
John Witt
AMA 19892
Edmonds, WA
"Houston, Tranquillity Base here. The Eagle has landed."

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2009, 11:47:06 AM »
While stationed in Quonset Point, RI in an anti-submarine squadron I used to be amazed when, at the end of winter, the snow was pilled so high between the runway and the taxi way that only the radome of a Super Connie showed above the snow accumulation!!!  That baby really stuck up there so the snow was amazingly high.
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2009, 12:34:27 PM »
This is a great story of another Connie.  I haven't heard if the one in the Municipal Airport of Downtown KCMo ever got the engine rebuild or not.  I still think it was the most beautiful plane flying when I lived on South 38th St in KCKs.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Thomas Wilk

• Commander
    • Tom Wilk's old mag plans on CD
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2009, 07:34:48 AM »

The Connie has been reassembled and placed in Boeing's Plant II.

Details below:

Connie Re-Assembly:   http://www.rbogash.com/Connie/connie-reassy-BFI.html

and

Entry into Plant II hangar:   http://www.rbogash.com/Connie/connie-plant%202.html

Website hits on the Trip and Arrival pages have passed 1.8 Million since Sept 1.

Bob Bogash

Tom Wilk  H^^

Offline afml

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2009, 05:01:59 PM »
Memories..... y1

As a young tyke, my Family went to visit relatives in the "burbs" of L.A. We flew on a TWA Super G from Pittsburgh, PA to L.A. & back.
Stopping in Chicago to exchange passengers. Still remember seeing the exhaust glow at night, since I had a window seat, and jumping up in the isle to see how far the plane would fly out from under me.  LL~ LL~

Back then, Pittsburgh had an observation deck which enabled you to have a clear view of the tarmac and when those "big birds" started up with all the smoke & noise, it was a race to the railing to see one get pushed back & on its way. y1

"Tight Lines!"

Wes
Wes Eakin

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2009, 02:10:09 PM »
My Dad flew Connies for TWA. L-649, L-749 and Super G's, the L-1049G's. He flew them at the very end of their careers, 1965 to 1966. He said it took 6 hours from Chicago to San Francisco. Pretty fast for a propeller driven, piston powered airplane but nothing compared to nowadays!

Dad flew piston executive airplanes in the 50's and early 60's and their large, twin row radial engines were short on time between overhauls. He told me how he quickly found out how the airlines got 1000 hours TBO when a good engine on the Super Ventura or Howard 500 went about 200 hours. The executive airplanes were using about 1200hp for cruise from their Pratt&Whitney Double Wasp R-2800CB-17's rated power of 2500 hp. TWA's 3750 hp Wright Duplex Cyclones were cruised at 900hp, less than 30% power!

I never rode in a Connie, but I did ask to once. In 1971 a Connie was entered in the 1000 mile US Cup pylon race at San Diego by the famous racing and Lockheed test pilot Fish Salmon. He game me a tour of the airplane and I asked if I could ride on his qualifying flight as I really thought the whole idea was really neat (12 year olds are prone to overlook obvious danger, I guess). Fish was very nice and asked if my Dad was around to ask permission. Darn it! He knew Dad was a on a trip because we had spoken about it earlier in the day and I was taken to the race by one of Dad's business partners!
I still have magazines that show that Connie being guided by Fish around the pylons where the tip tanks were mere feet from the ground and pylon!

Amazingly there are several Connies flying as museum pieces and tour the country periodically. The Airline Museum in Kansas City operates the Save-A-Connie Super G at Downtown Airport, though it hasn't flown in a few years for maintenance issues (ran out of "can" motors surplus from the military and now they must pay for overhauls at 50 to 75K each). Lufthansa is restoring a Lockheed L-1649 Starliner Connie to new condition in Maine and has constructed a maintenance facility there just for this purpose! There is it's sistership right next door for reference when reassembling the Starliner as well as a third sistership at Kermit Weeks' Fantasy of Flight Museum in Polk City, FL which will remain there.
Chris...

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
  • I am 5 Ft. 8 In., the Taube is 7 Ft. 4 In.
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2009, 07:53:31 PM »
Received this from a friend.  If you want to take a ride in a Connie click below.

Clancy

« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 08:16:35 PM by Clancy Arnold »
Clancy Arnold
Indianapolis, IN   AMA 12560 LM-S
U/Tronics Control
U/Control with electronics added.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here