News:

• May 02, 2024, 03:49:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Sport Scale  (Read 1483 times)

Offline Bill Little

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
Sport Scale
« on: February 22, 2008, 12:12:13 PM »
Ok, I am going strong on a Great Lakes from a Sterling C/L kit.

I will have a three line BC, and that throttle will be the only operating function. (I cannot think of anything else! LOL!!)

Do I need a pilot(s)? 

Please give me a brief breakdown of what i should take to my first Scale contest.    I have read the rules, but reading the rules really hasn't helped me much! LL~

Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Online Dick Byron

• Vendor
  • Captain
Re: Sport Scale
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 02:58:13 PM »
Pilot required.

Offline David Miller

• Lieutenant
  • CL, RC, Hunting and Fishing!
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008, 04:47:23 PM »
Parachute for the pilot! S?P
MSgt (RET) David G. Miller
AMA 560263

Offline chuck snyder

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008, 05:25:41 PM »
You will need your model and flightbox. I have a "contest" bag in which I keep my documentation, static display props, spare bombs, pitot tubes, and a copy of the rules. I have not run into many "Philadelphia Lawyers" at scale contests arguing rules, but I still need to remind myself what the flight routines and starting allowances are in the different events I fly. So when I pack the car I only need to remember a few big things and I don't need to search for "stuff."

Reading the rules is essential, but my experience has been that the real world of a contest is where you learn how to compete.

The throttle is all you need for the potential to be very competitive.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2008, 08:57:37 AM »
Thanks, Chuck. (and you others! LOL!!)

I will add a pilot, no problem.  I would really like to make one of the Golden Age Racers into a Scale entry.  I like the planes and I don't *think* the racing event will make a comeback.........  :'(  Another *throttle only* set of planes to draw from!  I am looking at keeping things simple for now.  No planes with flaps, retracts, etc.   That *should* help with getting in the flights.
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Allen Goff

• Charter Member
  • Admiral
    • Fellowship of Christan modelers
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2008, 02:36:14 PM »
Bill;  I think you will find many who are willing to help you with your entry into scale. I know when I started 4 years ago, I knew absolutely zero about scale. Like any form of modeling compition, you have to "pay your dues". As time goes on, it gets easier. I drew on the knowledge and experience of many in the c/l scale arena. Guys like Jack S., Richard S., Chuck S., Dale C., and Charlie B. to mention a few. And the neat thing about it all, they were more than willing to help. Even at the "Nats", when it can get a little hecktic. They really care about you doing well. All tho, Richard S. told me this past FAI Team trials, if I scored higher than he, get someone else to help next time. joke, joke, he was just being funny. I don't think he meant it. Have fun with c/l scale, they are a nice bunch of people. If I can be of any help, give me a buzz.

Blessings
Allen

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2008, 07:30:40 AM »
Bill;  I think you will find many who are willing to help you with your entry into scale. I know when I started 4 years ago, I knew absolutely zero about scale. Like any form of modeling compition, you have to "pay your dues". As time goes on, it gets easier. I drew on the knowledge and experience of many in the c/l scale arena. Guys like Jack S., Richard S., Chuck S., Dale C., and Charlie B. to mention a few. And the neat thing about it all, they were more than willing to help. Even at the "Nats", when it can get a little hecktic. They really care about you doing well. All tho, Richard S. told me this past FAI Team trials, if I scored higher than he, get someone else to help next time. joke, joke, he was just being funny. I don't think he meant it. Have fun with c/l scale, they are a nice bunch of people. If I can be of any help, give me a buzz.

Blessings
Allen

Thank you, very much, Allen.  Dale is a member of the club in Huntersvile (closest one to me!) but the field is a *little* over 2 hours away.  Dale is a super guy!  I see Richard on occasion, and he *has* given some pointers. 

I will just have to "suck it up", finish a plane, and enter somewhere.  Then learn from my mistakes.  The whole documentation thing really puzzles me, sometimes.  Just hit in the head too many times! LL~

Thanks, guys
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2008, 07:36:48 AM »
Parachute for the pilot! S?P

OUCH!  What you trying to say, David????   LL~  LL~  LL~  LL~  LL~ n~  :##  H^^
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline chuck snyder

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2008, 11:32:29 AM »
Bill,
Documentation doesn't have to be tough. Put yourself in the judge's shoes. You need to present outline information and color/markings information. Don't confuse the man! n~ The judges won't argue the validity of your documentation if you get it from published or on-line sources. In other words, don't make anything up. Then present it in a logical order and tie things together so the judge is not inclined to think you are trying to sneak something past him. Don't confuse the man! ??? If there is any way you can get a chance to seriously judge someone else's model, do it. You will quickly see what works, or more likely doesn't work, in terms of documentation. Finally don't do anything to make him wonder how you knew how to build or paint the model a certain way. If he asks himself questions that your documents don't answer, your score will be lower. For example, if you present documentation that says the plane was "medium green" and you paint it with Brodak "Middle Green" and don't do anything else the judge will wonder what "medium green" is supposed to look like. And a Brodak "Middle Green" chip would not convince me if I were the judge because I would ask myself how you knew that Brodak "Middle Green" was the same as "medium green."
Chuck

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2008, 12:57:04 PM »
Thanks, Chuck.  (I think! LL~ )
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Allen Goff

• Charter Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2008, 08:36:51 PM »
Bill;

I love visual aids. Seeing someone else work helps me, maybe this will help you. This is not the only way but this has worked for me. So along with Chucks advise and some pictures, maybe this will take away a little of the mystery.

Blessings
Allen

Offline Allen Goff

• Charter Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2008, 06:23:07 AM »
Pic # 1.  Cover of the binder.

Pic # 2. & #3. Different views. ( you don't have to have many. A judge told me once, "don't have a picture of something you don't want me to see.')

Pic # 4. Three view drawings. ( Can be gotten from Bob's Aircraft Documentation.) Bob Bonka 3114 Yukon Ave. Costa Mesa, Ca. 92626.  (714) 979 7279

Pic # 5. Paint documentation. I wrote the company and try supplied me with the paint chips'/splotches.

Blessings
Allen

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2008, 09:40:08 AM »
Thanks, Allen, and all,

That is a BIG help.

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2008, 05:43:00 PM »
Come on Bill,
You've got to post a picture every once in a while!
Chris...

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2008, 11:56:05 AM »
Come on Bill,
Chris...

LOL!!!!!!  I don't think about that part! LOL!!!!!  Plus, I would have to move everything somewhere else to take a picture.......  :o
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2008, 12:49:53 PM »
I to hope to enter my first scale contest (sport scale) this summer.  I have Bob's aircraft documentation Photo package.  The photos are 3 1/2 X 5.  Should I scan them and print them at 8 X 10 size.  Also in sport scale (Stand off Scale) are Bob's color photos good enough for proof of color.  At 15' and varying light levels color can be a tricky thing. I am building a 60 size Extra 300.  ???  y1
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline chuck snyder

• Commander
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2008, 06:58:06 AM »
John,
My suggestion on the size of the photos would be to consider two things: 1) you are only allowed 8 pages for your presentation, so you might not be able to include everything if you use the big photos. 2) If the small photo shows the detail you want to present, then go ahead and use them. And yes the Bob's photo pack is legitimate documentation.

Color is a tougher question--for just the reasons you listed. It tends to vary in photos, the top of the plane is lighter and the bottom is darker. The color varies from one shot to the next. Which shade are you going to match? Which spot on the photo is the judge going to select? Make it clear in your presentation what the judge ought to compare to. The photos are very good for the "markings" portion of your "color and markings" presentation.

When I am judging I spread the 30 available points over everything covered by the category. Hence on a multi-colored Extra 300 with lots of striping and logos the exact color match only gets a couple of points because I am looking at the size and shape of the stripes, the size and fonts of the advertising, and the placement of all that stuff. On a J-3 Cub the yellow better be the exact shade and the lightening bolt better be exact because that is about all I have to look at.

Disclaimer: other judges opinions will probably vary ;D

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2008, 09:10:11 PM »
Interesting points, Chuck.
Thanks for the pointers.
Chris...

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2008, 10:04:46 AM »
Chuck,

All good info.  Thanks.  At this stage of the game I hope build something that flyes. When I get past that point I will start worring about the details. But thanks again for the great input.

#^ #^ y1
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2008, 10:59:14 AM »
Come on Bill,
Chris...

Hi Chris,

Been *away* for a week or so, and found this thread.  I was struck by the comment this time and it made me think as to why I don't post pictures of anything I have, really.

I am a big boy, and in my profession, I have been called more things than probably anyone else except another higher level coach/teacher.

But, I can post tings and get a reply or two but seldom, if ever many real comments and critiques, while a few can post pictures an d get three pages of replies.  After a while it just got to the point that why bother.  I was getting no feedback to speak of, and fewer comments.  I give all i canto help anyone who asks, and I do have a good knowledge base on how to fly and build these models.  So, although I don't need a lot of *pats on the back*, I would like a comment or two by ones other than those whom I pay off to do so......

Also, I recently got REALLY stuck by someone in the hobby, and I just have been out of the *feeling* for a while.  I really like the guy, but he put it to me.  (and no, I will not give a name.........)

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here