News:

• May 01, 2024, 03:55:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: SPIRIT OF ST. LOUIS KIT  (Read 999 times)

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
SPIRIT OF ST. LOUIS KIT
« on: November 23, 2006, 09:51:19 AM »
I have talked to Walt Musciano and have his ok to produce his "Spirit of St. Louis" kit. Wing span 26" length 20" engine .09 to 25 size. Full scale kit, NOT a profile. Would anyone be intrested? I do not know what the selling price will be but it will be under $80.00. This kit was offered by Scientific Models in 1954.
Larry

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: SPIRIT OF ST. LOUIS KIT
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2006, 10:39:52 AM »
I recognize the attractiveness that this model would have for many since it was a Scientific kit, a nice size and many people reading this will remember either having one or seeing one.

An alternative to Musciano'a Scientific Spriit of St Louis would  be his version of that airplane that was featured in Mechanix Illustrated.  I do not have the particulars with me right now (visiting family in Denver for Thanksgiving) but this has about a 48 inch span.  The plans show two versions, one has a scale airfoil, the other has a symmetrical airfoil.  It is Old Time Stunt eligible but even built super light, it is somewhat OTS pattern challenged.  (Two showed up one year at VSC.)  Either version makes into a respectable Sport Scale replica of the airplane.   Wit throttle control, it would be a very easy to fly scale subject.  Suitable power plants would be most any .25 engine.   (Jim Lee might want to add his thoughts on this.)

Construction of the MI version could be lightened up from what is shown on the magazine plans which shows the fuselage built from 1/4 inch balsa sheet.  Plywood doublers could be added to the nose for added strength and would add weight where weight would be needed anyway because of its relatively short nose.

Offline nobler

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2009, 03:34:44 PM »
I am blowing up a 26" Spirit (Scientific Musciano) to 36", so I can use the Guillow's stick and tissue kit decals. I have the fuse hollowed, and the wing sanded. Maybe for a future Musciano Unlimited. Currell

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2009, 10:29:51 AM »
Beautiful project....
Here is a scan of an old slide of mine....that was taken waaaay back in 1970?
The other photo is a replica at Osh-by-gosh! (borrowed off the web)
Don Shultz

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2009, 08:13:59 PM »
How well does the scale version fly with that tiny horizontal stab and elevators?  For free flight, the stab must be enlarged almost 25%. y1

There used to be a full size replica in the air museum in San Diego, but tow nuts burned the place to the ground back in 1976 or so. Ruined a ton of rare stuff including a A6M2 Zero Sen fighter and a Ryan Fireball.  There is still a replica hanging in the terminal in St. Louis International ( Lambert Field). H^^
Although the wind was pretty squirrleee' around the building the take off was smooooooth but the level laps had a great deal of turbulance to deal with and just like the real thing, the landing had a quite a few wobblees hops and bounces. Pretty stiff and narrow footprinted  landing gear. Very beautifully rendered model. From what I he flew it again with a little more nose weight..and now with a better feel for how that model handled. I didn' see it...but I hear that it flew quite nicely?
Gads..that was sooooooooo long ago, I can't remember the builders name or where he was from?
Don Shultz

Offline James Lee

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2009, 01:23:05 PM »
Musta missed this thread last fall....
As Keith said, the MI version of the 'Spirit of St Louis' is challenged for OTS.  Having said that, it also flies a LOT better than some might think.....
As a scale project it does have some real pluses...    The short nose will tolerate a heavier throttle motor.  The gear track is a problem being very narrow with the lines up a bit high, causing some tip in on take off.....   
Of course, Keith, being the master scale builder he is, detailed his like a Nats scale plane....   Mine was rather more 'stand waaaaay off' scale.....    Interesting that we finished almost tied at VSC that year.....   
Somewhere I have a picture of mine sitting under the EAA 'Spirit' replica at the Sig contest.....
Later
Jim

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2009, 04:32:55 PM »
Well, Jim Lee made some comments about my Musciano Spirit of St Louis that was built from the MI plans.  So I guess I need to make some comments about his.

First of all, we both built these things for a VSC several years ago.  Neither of us knew about the other's model until we met in the motel parking lot used by most at that VSC.  His comments about mine are a bit too kind.  He had some nice detail on his that were really nice.  I do not know how he did it, but his was several ounces lighter than mine and flew significantly better, or at least it appeared to fly better to me than mine did.  I think the relative placing of each or our models that year was more a function of the wind conditions when each model was flown than anything.

I have flown mine several times since in local contests in OTS, but it will not do the pattern very well in any kind of wind.  It has been flown in some Sport Scale and Fun Scale contests, but without a throttle, it really takes a beating in flight score because of limited flight options.  There used to be some local Fun Scale rules that would allow any maneuvers from the stunt pattern for flight options, so some points used to be available.  Now that Fun Scale is an official event which does not allow maneuvers not performed by the real aircraft, most judges do not seem to be too impressed to allow any such things as overhead eights or "dead stick landing" as flight options

Neverthe less, that MI Musciano design really builds into a decent looking airplane and like all of Musciano's designs, is easy to build, even with using thinner sheet for the fuselage construction and the addition of plywood nose doublers.  With a throttle, it would be easy and fun to fly.

Keith

(edit for typos)

Offline John Witt

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2009, 04:36:00 PM »
Lindberg spent some time in his book "We" talking about the design and construction of the NYP. The tail feathers, as I recall, were borrowed from the Ryan Brougham. The engineers calculated what the surfaces areas need to be, which was somewhat larger than the ones they had. However, the stability, though marginal, was considered to be OK. The whole project, like many projects, was over budget and behind the deadlines. Lindberg thought it over and decided the marginal stability would help him stay awake, so that's how they did it and is why the tailfeathers look small--they are!

Above as I recall--read the book about 40 years ago. It was a good read, and by one of the finest aviators ever.

John
John Witt
AMA 19892
Edmonds, WA
"Houston, Tranquillity Base here. The Eagle has landed."

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here