News:

• May 02, 2024, 12:30:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Small scale pilots..  (Read 562 times)

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Small scale pilots..
« on: December 10, 2009, 11:16:58 AM »
I'm looking for a pilot figure in 1/20 scale or in other words 5% scale.

Williams Brothers only goes down to 1/12 or 1"=1'-0".  They go UP to 1/3, 4" = 1', both that doesn't help me.

I' trying to comply with "pilot required" scale rule on a model of a large airplane. 
Paul Smith

Offline Hoss Cain

• Captain
Re: Small scale pilots..
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2009, 01:40:18 PM »
I'm looking for a pilot figure in 1/20 scale or in other words 5% scale.

Williams Brothers only goes down to 1/12 or 1"=1'-0".  They go UP to 1/3, 4" = 1', both that doesn't help me.

I' trying to comply with "pilot required" scale rule on a model of a large airplane.  

Given that your 1:1 scale pilot is 5'6" to 6' that will make your 5%er about 3.3" to 3.6".

I suggest you hit a $-store, $-General store or such and look at eons of male/female figures within that size. I'm betting that you can find what you need. Of course at that price, you can easily CA some small bits of balsa here and there, sand to shape and paint with the frugally-priced Craft Paints so readily available using a watercolor brush and come up with a very decent pilot. I hand carve many pilots for my models and with craft paint (you can mix and match for your desired colors) make whatever you desire. Unlike dope, etc., craft paint does not require some 30  hand rubbed coats to get good results.  ;D
Horrace Cain
AMA L-93 CD and Leader
New Caney, TX  (NE Houston area)

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2009, 06:47:24 AM »
Thanks, I ordered four pilots off the Ebay site in England.  A bit spendy, but they come in a good variery of sizes.

I already browsed the aisles of the local toy & dollar stores and didn't find anything I would want in a serious entry.  Maybe OK for a novelty project in the future.  The current toy style does not include the American Fighting Man.

A third fallback would be a high end "toy soldier shop".  Their stuff is way too heavy, but it might be used as a vacuum forming master.

Anyway, Peter's Pilots, the Ebay shop in England got it done for me.
Paul Smith

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2009, 12:22:18 PM »
The new men reported for duty on 26Dec.  They're a little higher-paid than the Williams brothers, but they have more skeels.

From left to right: two 1/20 Pete's, the green one is a 1/12 Williams, then two 1/12 Pete's and a 1/8 William.

Williams only come in 1/12, 1/8, and huge.  Pete's offer those, plus a lot of odd-scale smaller men.

My carrier project was on hold for a couple weeks, but hopefully it will be worth it.
Paul Smith

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here