News:

• May 03, 2024, 05:43:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Scale Trainer kit PT 17 for .15 Glow - Scale Radial engine??? How to?  (Read 4535 times)

Offline Walter Hicks

• 2018 Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
I am in process of completing the Scale PT 17- .15 size , I will be doing the Navy version so I need to make a dummy scale radial engine.
I do have a Herr Engineering kit and I will check on the size of the dummy engine on that one. Specifically pictures of how you do yours
It is 3 1/4 inch deep it appears that the Herr Engineering Rubber Powered Stearman is almost exactly the same.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 08:12:54 PM by Walter Hicks »

Offline Walter Hicks

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
Re: Scale Trainer kit PT 17 for .15 Glow - Scale Radial engine??? How to?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2016, 08:39:26 PM »
It appears that Brodak carries Dare Engineering scale radial engines . I will check into that also.

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2016, 09:56:40 PM »

Your going to do this on a profile?
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Walter Hicks

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2016, 11:40:44 PM »
Yes

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2016, 06:59:55 AM »
Specifically pictures of how you do yours

Walter,

I think some scale realism on the front of a profile model will look really good. The extra work will be well worth it.

You may get lucky and find something "off the shelf" that may need just a bit of tweaking.

That diagram you Posted where "layers" were used to build the cylinders.

That's how this 7 cylinder 9" radial was made for my 74" R/C Gee Bee. Takes more time to make the stuff than to do the assembly. Built the model in the 80's and it's undergone a few repairs. It will be rebourn again.

The smaller one, 6", was on my R/C Sikorsky S-39, also back in the 80's.  Balsa cylinders with thick string wrapped around them. Simple simple.  Not my idea, I copied another modeler.

With laser cutting parts for cylinders can be made in a flash.

I purchased a plastic Wasp engine kit for the Gee Bee Z, so there's no story there. Short nose on the Gee Bee, so I could use the weight.

Good luck.

Charles

Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Walter Hicks

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2016, 11:42:54 AM »
  Thank you for the response I appreciate it. I agree the extra work will make it look much better. I have on the way a 3 1/2" 9 cylinder Dare Design

radial dummy engine from Brodak this may work. I hate to use the Herr Engineering stuff as the Rubber Powered Stearman is a very nice kit.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2016, 07:15:43 PM »
Walter,

I forgot about this Vendor.

Here's an option that might be of some interest. 3.5"

http://parkflyerplastics.com/cart/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=31

Charles

If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2016, 07:52:15 PM »
Walter,

the CL scale rules only allow the cowl to be an additional 1/2" wider in the cowl area. The maximum width of the fuselage can be 1" and the cowl area can be 1.5" wide so a full size radial engine would exceed that dimension. But if you are not flying in competition that does not matter. Just don't want to you get to a contest and have a problem with the static judging.

Scale engine cylinders always look better than nothing at all

Fred
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale
Model Aviation CL Scale columnist

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2016, 09:24:44 PM »
Walter,

the CL scale rules only allow the cowl to be an additional 1/2" wider in the cowl area. The maximum width of the fuselage can be 1" and the cowl area can be 1.5" wide so a full size radial engine would exceed that dimension. But if you are not flying in competition that does not matter. Just don't want to you get to a contest and have a problem with the static judging.

Scale engine cylinders always look better than nothing at all

Fred

Fred,

I don't understand that at all?

How would this relate to my Gee Bee Z?

Sorry Walter, I'm not trying to change the topic of your Thread.

Charles

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2016, 04:33:23 AM »
Sport scale models have a full bodied fuselage so the engine, cowl and any detail can be a miniature duplicate of the full size aircraft. Since you have a full bodied fuselage the full round dummy radial engine can be installed inside the cowl just like it was on the full size aircraft.

Profile scale takes everything on the full size and flattens it out to be no more than 1" wide in the fuselage area. At the cowling the same thing applies, everything is flattened out but the rules allow for the 1.5" total width. I once entered a Profile model in profile carrier which only allows 7/8" maximum width and my fuselage was 1" wide, they did not allow me to fly the model in the event.

The main difference is that one model is a sport scale (Gee Bee Z) with a  full bodied fuselage and the other is a profile scale. But if you are flying for sport and have no intention of entering competition the full radial engine on a profile scale would not be problem. I just bring it up just in case Walter plans on entering a contest with the model.

Fred
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2016, 07:24:07 AM »
Fred,

Thank you for that, I understand.

That still gives Walter room for cylinders, only thing is, the engine will be an "oval" because, obviously, there's a greater measurement verticle.

Have you ever seen this with a profile model?

Two engines. One just for the contests and the other one, the round one, for a nicer look.

Charles

Offline Walter Hicks

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2016, 03:05:00 PM »
Thanks Fred for the input, I may very well use this for .15 Carrier. If not how do I get the Stearman to look like it has a radial when it is a profile?

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2016, 03:23:00 PM »
I haven't seen any good examples of what a radial would look like flattened to 1 1/2" wide, but you could have the upwards and down facing cylinder. Maybe just put the top of the cylinder head on the sides.

It would make a good model for Profile scale at the NW regionals.

Fred
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale

Offline Walter Hicks

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2016, 03:38:30 PM »
Thanks Fred, the easiest way would be to make a Red Baron Stearman that has a cowl. However My father was a Navy Pilot and trained pilots
in the Stearman and T-6 this is why I wanted the Navy one. I do have the Bob Holman pictures of the Red Baron Stearman though.

Offline Walter Hicks

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2016, 03:41:02 PM »
I forgot to mention I have three other options for Profile Scale kits from Pat King, F4U Corsair , T-6 and F4B-4 bipe all profiles those may be a better
choice for profile scale.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here