News:

• May 01, 2024, 12:11:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Scale judging  (Read 751 times)

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Scale judging
« on: April 10, 2009, 01:31:32 PM »
Alrighty,
not enough griping going on over on the stunt side, so Im going to start something here,,,, lol S?P S?P H^^

actually in all seriousness, I am assisting to judge Scale this year at a ( rather large) local contest. I have not done this before. Have been around airplanes my entire life and am passionate about them, I am a builder, an artist ( to a fashion) .
I have read the rules,,
I do for the most part understand them.
What I am hoping for is that some of the experienced Scale people could potentially point out the traps and pitfalls that I may not be aware of. I had started a thread like this just prior to the " big crash" on the forum a few months back.
I am looking for EDUCATION not bitching. Please be informative and factual. I am open to hearing anything and everything just in a positive spin if you could. I have enough argumentative people at work to deal with ya know?

thanks in advance, I know some enlightened souls will help me out here thanks
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
  • I am 5 Ft. 8 In., the Taube is 7 Ft. 4 In.
Re: Scale judging
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2009, 04:50:09 PM »
Mark
Suggest you read the article "Picking a Subject Airplane to Model" that I wrote that was printed in Control Line World, in the April 2008 issue. 
Clancy
Clancy Arnold
Indianapolis, IN   AMA 12560 LM-S
U/Tronics Control
U/Control with electronics added.

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2009, 07:21:17 PM »
Hi Mark,
I don't fly scale yet, but I've started running the event at the FCM weekend in Muncie for five years now which made me an instant judge.  (Not necessarily a GOOD judge, just an instant one.)  I found the main pitfall I had to overcome was over-scoring in most places.
I would be really impressed and score someone high, then that REALLY GREAT  flight would come along and I was out of options to reward it accordingly. (The scoring numbers don't really have very much range.)   I did this both for the static and the flight scoring.  I have judged with a couple of former world team members since and really picked their brains and it has helped.
You may make, no - change that - you WILL make some errors for a while, but since you have applied yourself to reading the rules and seeking advice I'd bet the farm they will be small and that you'll quickly correct in the future contests.  Thanks for joining the ranks and giving back in this manner. 
AND - most importamt of all, HAVE FUN DOING IT!!! #^ #^ y1 y1 H^^ H^^ H^^ H^^
Will
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline chuck snyder

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2009, 03:28:37 PM »
Mark, try to find a way to static judge some models before the contest. R/C uses the same static rules so maybe you can find an R/C scale participant in your area if there are not any C/L models to look at. Surely you can find some three-views for a P-51 and an ARF at the R/C field. Then look at it with the proberbial "jaundiced eye" and note all the deviations. Start at the nose in the side view and work your way around the model's outline. Make a note of each deviation. Then do the same for the top and front views.

Do you give or receive "Performance Reviews" where you work? I did a lot of that and used descriptions like: "needs improvement, meets expectations, exceeds expectations, frequently exceeds expectations" and so forth. I started using this concept while judging scale models and found it helped avoid the issues Will talked about. When you look at a model that meets your expectations for that contest, give it whatever score you will give for meeting expectations be that a 5, 7, 9 or 9.5. And then give the same number to other models with quality in the same ballpark. If the model is better or worse than expectations give it a corresponding number higher or lower. One of my biggest disappointments as a contestant has been to have the scores compressed so that a clearly superior model only got a couple points more than a dog. I'll use an aileron as an example of having an idea of what your expectations are. Some models won't have any indication that the full scale had ailerons, then some will outline the shape with black pen. The next step up is to actually have a separate surface. Then some guys add the hinges, trim tabs, and push rods. I have found that this same level of excellence, or lack of it, carries over to many other aspects of the model. Now when you look at the list of deviations you made, the big and the little, you can compare the list to your expectations and assign a score.

I also take pretty serious deductions for changes that enhance the flight characteristics of the model. Oversized tail surfaces, disproportioned stabs and elevators, and big thick symetrical airfoils get knocked when I judge. IE, they don't meet my expectations of what I should see at a scale contest.

Make sure you judge to the documentation provided, not what you know about a particular airplane. The documentation can often be incorrect, but if the model matches the documents, the model is "right."

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2009, 04:18:00 PM »
Thanks much, Chuck, you've pointed out some really great points to consider and I learned a LOT from your post as far as really going the right route in looking a model over in it's completeness.  Super advice and some other things to look for that I hadn't considered!  (Like the seperate surface verses just ink lines.)
Will
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2009, 04:46:09 PM »
Thanks guys, thats the kind of help I was hoping for,
probably most important note stated,,, one I knew somewhat instinctivly but wasnt clear on, is to judge to the documentation. That is a very good point. I have been around a lot of airplanes so have some idea, or perception about how things look. I can see how this would be a potential pitfall for static judging. I am thinking however, that my observation from real life with regards to in flight judging is probably more valid. as in, a mustang that floats in for a landing isnt as accurate as a cub that floats in for a landing. Though lol, based on what scale models I have seen, not many are capable of floating, they do seem rather heavy lol,,  ;D
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here