News:

• April 27, 2024, 10:09:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Scale Corsair F2G-1!  (Read 8384 times)

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
Scale Corsair F2G-1!
« on: April 01, 2012, 09:55:40 AM »
I've always had interest in the Corsairs, especially the F2G-1. In fact, it's my second favorite Warbird.

Unfortunately no kits are available for this particular aircraft, the F2G-1.

So, I've decided to draw plans for this model, using outlines from the F4U. The F2G-1 is actually a modified F4U Corsair. Engine change, rudder area increased, bubble canopy few other things, but still basically the same Corsair outlines.

The finished model probably won't be 100% scale but will be reasonably close. Greatest change will be the airfoil.

Nothing to share yet, except a preliminary profile drawing of the fuselage and dreams.

Not the best photo, sorry about that.

I do hope there's interest.

Corsair F2G-1:
65.5" in span.
53" in length.
851.5 sq. in.

Charles

Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
Re: Scale Corsair F2G-1!
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 01:27:56 PM »
The preliminary drawing looks fine.  Since you have mentioned that this will be fully stunt capable, what power train are you expecting to use?

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 01:54:17 PM »
Bill,

At the moment I'm considering an OS 90 4C. Only because I have one NIB.

The engine can be dealt with down the road a bit. The cowling is 7" in diam., or there about, so there's plenty of room for a good engine choice.

Thanks for the reply.

Charles
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2012, 02:31:32 PM »
I guess that the .90 would probably work.  With in excess of 800 sq. in. WS and so much frontal drag, it will have to be on a diet to stunt much.  With that much airframe, weight could build up very quickly to where performance would greatly suffer.

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2012, 03:11:15 PM »
I guess that the .90 would probably work.  With in excess of 800 sq. in. WS and so much frontal drag, it will have to be on a diet to stunt much.  With that much airframe, weight could build up very quickly to where performance would greatly suffer.BIG Bear RNMM/AMM

Bill,

I'll just have to be careful with my calories.

The model, like the aircraft, will have fabric covering in areas. Like the rudder for one example.

Not a quick drawing. This drawing will be used as my "parts to cut" drawing/template, for the rudder.

Stock F4U rudder at this scale is 8.375" in height. The F2G-1 rudder had an increase in height to create more area. Couple of inches.

Charles

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2012, 07:56:04 PM »
I decided to cut some wood tonight. I only had about a half hour so I didn't get to much done, but here are the results.

The drawing was done in CAD.

Templates are templates, you draw them you draw them.

I sometimes trace them with carbon paper between the drawing and the wood. In this case, I cut mine out then use aerosol can paint to transfer templates to the balsa and plywood. I wish I had black.

Finish piece placed on drawing, wainting for other rudder parts.

The photos tell it all for the first half hour.

Charles

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2012, 07:39:37 AM »
This is going to be one great how-to post.  Keep up the good work.  Looks like a must read for all who want to learn.   H^^   H^^   H^^
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2012, 08:04:43 AM »
This is going to be one great how-to post.  Keep up the good work.  Looks like a must read for all who want to learn.   H^^   H^^   H^^

John,

You're way too kind!

And thanks for the interest.

Look, don't tell anyone, but, I'm making this stuff up as I go.  n~

Thanks again!

Charles

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2012, 08:12:17 AM »
Couple of quick tasks for the rudder.

Left and right pieces cut and assembled.

The actual aircraft's rudder has fabric and the aluminum sheet structure on the actual aircraft's rudder is the same outline as my cut balsa. Probably overkill, but scale detail none the less.

That detailed edge will be visible when finished. Scuffed from weathering will also make that edge more pronounced.

Aerosol can paint sprayed on the template, transfers paper template outlines to balsa quickly.

Charles

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2012, 01:36:01 PM »
Jump to light speed!

We now have what's starting to look like a rudder for a F2G-1 Corsair.

Surface detail drawing replaces construction drawing.

Charles

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2012, 01:55:25 PM »
How much does that assembly weigh?
Chris...

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2012, 02:49:32 PM »
How much does that assembly weigh?
Chris...

Chris,

I have no idea because I haven't weighed it. Care to guess?

Charles

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2012, 05:22:10 PM »
Chris,

Charles

I understand what Chris means here, just that small piece of the build is somewhat overdone for the function it performs - or at least it looks it.

Just be aware what the progressive weight tally is going to be or it could end up un-flyable.
MAAA AUS 73427

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
 Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.  It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2012, 05:41:04 PM »
I understand what Chris means here, just that small piece of the build is somewhat overdone for the function it performs - or at least it looks it.
Just be aware what the progressive weight tally is going to be or it could end up un-flyable.

Chris,

This isn't a small model, 851 squares. Plus it's scale.

It has to have some "scale detail" or it wouldn't be scale!  n~

Ya can't just cut the rudder outline out of .25" stock and stick it on. Bet that would be heavier.

Backtrack a bit and take a good look at the assembly pieces of this structure, you will clearly see it's "hollow."

I use no timber. Also, the radius piece for the rudder, now installed, has been hollowed also.

I'm currently drilling holes to remove even more unneeded material.

I have to go to the PO tomorrow to mail a graphics set to a SH member, I can weigh the rudder then.

I really don't care what the weight is. I'm building as light as I know how. It is what it is.

If someone takes a stab at the weight, I'll take it to the PO with me.

Your guess is as good as mine?

Another hours work today. Here's a few recent photos. As you can see, I have more holes to make.

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2012, 06:03:43 PM »
Charles,
are you weighing your balsa? the density of the wood makes  a profound difference in the finished weight,, owning a small scale is one of the paramount concerns in modeling functional flyable models,,
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2012, 06:25:56 PM »
Charles,
are you weighing your balsa? the density of the wood makes  a profound difference in the finished weight,, owning a small scale is one of the paramount concerns in modeling functional flyable models,,

Mark,

You are correct! I should pick up a scale.

Luckly I can choose wood by grain, color and density.

I am paying close attention to saving as much weight as I possibly can.

Thanks for the interest and the reply.

Charles

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2012, 05:18:39 AM »
Here's what I have to show for a couple of hours work, not including drawings.

Vertical stab, trim tab and the bottom addition to the rudder still remains.

I will take this to the PO today, see what the rudder weighs at this stage.

Charles

Offline Glenn (Gravitywell) Reach

• Gravitywell
  • 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2012, 10:27:27 AM »
Very cool.  Thanks for sharing the build with us. H^^
Glenn Reach
Westlock, Alberta
gravitywell2011 @ gmail . com

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2012, 04:14:39 PM »
Chris,

Charles

850 squares is a little bigger than my usual, 760 to 770.

My horizontal, with elevator, hinges, horn and in sanding sealer ready to paint color weigh 2.8 oz. if you're wondering about the difference between stunting in C/L and going around and around, this is it, weight control.

You mentioned a stuntable Scale model, that's why I posted.
Your wood looked heavy with deep grain, and there were a "ton" of parts, looked like a build thread for a 10 lbs R/C Scale model.
If the model weighs more than 90 oz completed with paint, it won't stunt.

Chris...

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2012, 06:09:03 PM »
850 squares is a little bigger than my usual, 760 to 770.
My horizontal, with elevator, hinges, horn and in sanding sealer ready to paint color weigh 2.8 oz. if you're wondering about the difference between stunting in C/L and going around and around, this is it, weight control.
You mentioned a stuntable Scale model, that's why I posted.
Your wood looked heavy with deep grain, and there were a "ton" of parts, looked like a build thread for a 10 lbs R/C Scale model.
If the model weighs more than 90 oz completed with paint, it won't stunt.Chris...

Chris,

Are you building a Corsair also?

I see what you mean about the dark colored wood in that photo. Yes, looks like it weighs a ton.  But, if you look at all the other photos, you will see that photo is the only dark photo. The photo was taken with only one light lit. Dope will darken it also.

As for the rudder and it's weight. Gotta realize that the rudder is not completed. Obviously there's more to it.

What you see so far is almost 6" wide and 8.25" in length, not counting the insert stem. It's also .75" thick at the base.

Weighs a whooping .5 oz. courtesy the USPO.

This Corsair is a scale model, that's why I'm building it in the Scale Forum, and a stunter second.

In all honesty, I'll be happy if it does a wingover.

Thanks for the interest.

Forgot these photos. Tad of the lightest spackling added.

Charles

« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 07:00:26 PM by Avaiojet »

Offline Douglas Ames

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2012, 07:58:30 PM »
Excellent! Here's some inspiration...http://www.air-and-space.com/Goodyear%20F2G.htm

FYI- Vought sourced the canopy from a P-47, some had a sub-rudder, some did not.
AMA 656546

If you do a little bit every day it will get done, or you can do it tomorrow.

Offline Douglas Ames

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2012, 08:01:01 PM »
Have you had good luck with spackling over, say spot putty?
AMA 656546

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2012, 06:32:10 AM »
Doug,

There's a photo I've never seen! Thanks for that.

Yes, "sub" rudder. The F2G-1 did have an increase in rudder area. If you look at the drawing, this added rudder area is included beneath the normal rudder. I have yet to make it. Possibly over the weekend I'll work on the rest of the pieces to the rudder assembly.

The added rudder deflected automatically when the flaps and gear were lowered. Aircraft that had no operational flaps, were without this extra rudder.

Have you had good luck with spackling over, say spot putty?

I've always looked at spackling as a "wood filler." I've only used it over naked wood and wood that has had a chemical applied to it for saturation, like thinned dope or thinned resin. The Automotive "spot putty," of which I believe you refer, I've used only over primed areas to fill really small imperfections.

There are heavier/thicker spackling compounds, that I imagine, could be used over putty, but I have never used spackling over any primed surface or automotive putty.

Thanks for that photo and the interest!

Charles

« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 06:53:54 AM by Avaiojet »

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2012, 05:22:16 PM »
If you like gull wing stunters then check this out (post 8 has the pic) -

http://controlline.org.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=7163&highlight=wayne
MAAA AUS 73427

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
 Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.  It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2012, 06:57:13 PM »
If you like gull wing stunters then check this out (post 8 has the pic) -http://controlline.org.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=7163&highlight=wayne

Chris,

Thanks so much for that link!

What a great design! Certainly styled after the Corsair, but much more than that.

Check out the wheel pants as part of the wing structure. Clever. Nicely painted also.

Sorry to read the model is no more. I'm going to try to get plans for that model. For sure!!

Thanks again,

Charles

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2012, 01:33:36 PM »
Quick update.

Building has slowed down because decisions are being made.

Engine choice, prop choice, custom exhaust, retracts brand, wheels, stuff like that, things are going on.

I'm also finalizing the profile drawing that will be used to make this F4U Corsair a F2G. There really are differences. I should have the CAD drawing soon.

This is the actual aircraft I'm modeling. So you see, I have my hands full.

Charles

Offline Jim Fruit

• Commander
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2012, 02:31:22 PM »
Chris,

Thanks so much for that link!

What a great design! Certainly styled after the Corsair, but much more than that.

Check out the wheel pants as part of the wing structure. Clever. Nicely painted also.

Sorry to read the model is no more. I'm going to try to get plans for that model. For sure!!

Thanks again,

Charles

Charles

The model in the picture is a replica of a Goodyear racer referred as "Lovings Love", rather than a model of a Corsair.The giveaway is the treatment of the wheels and pants. The model is also painted in the style of the original racer. The original had a horizontally opposed engine, not the radial of the Corsair. I have forgotten his name, but about 20 years ago there was a gentleman who campaigned a replica of the Lovings Love in the scale competitions. It was a great looking airplane, but he always seemed to have engine troubles.

Jim Fruit

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2012, 03:15:07 PM »
Jim,

Thanks for that.

I don't generally build from kits. If I do, I'll bash the think so much you'll never know.

But this design, Lovings Love, as you say, I would pay strict attention to the plans.

Gee, speaking of plans. There's has to be plans someplace?

Tell me the original Goodyear Racer, didn't have wheel pants built into the wing?

I'm gonna google that.

See what you come up with and send me a copy of the plans.

Thanks again,

Charles

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2012, 03:28:28 PM »
Jim,

Beat you to it! I want one of these!!

Check this out! I'll pitch a book. There's a great photo of the aircraft in a PDF file along with three views, but I had trouble with the download.

Copied text.

""By the standards of his youth, the late Neal Loving had no business in aviation; he was a poor black kid, growing up on the wrong side of the tracks in Detroit in the late 1930s and eventually was disqualified for Air Corps because of a supposed heart condition, only to lose his legs in glider accident. Many such tales can leave the reader exhausted as the author slogs through one battle after another, soldiering on - however, Mr. Loving's account, while not diminishing the obstacles and prejudices of his day, is refreshing, dwelling on the successes and triumphs. This is Mr. Loving's story, self-told in an engaging fast-paced style that had me reading the entire book in one very enjoyable day.

What caught my childish eye many decades ago was Mr. Loving's exquisite little aircraft: "Loving's Love." As a kid growing up in the 1950s, I was captivated by the shapely lines, the curvaceous inverted gull-wing and the amazing speed he got out of an 85hp engine. Originally designed to be a Goodyear Racer, Neal arrived on the racing scene just as the racing class was fading, nonetheless, he qualified it for racing even though by then he was a double amputee. He eventually turned "Loving's Love" into a cross country speedster, visiting much of the South Eastern United States, pre-Castro Cuba and Jamaica where he eventually found his bride - all while operating a busy flying service.

Well after his fortieth birthday, Neal went on to complete an aeronautical engineering degree -- eventually becoming among other things the USAF's expert on high altitude clear air turbulence. I've known about the little airplane for decades, now I know a little about the rest of the story and the indefatigable, passionate aviator who built it. Highly recommend. ""

Offline Randy Snow

• Lieutenant
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2012, 06:53:00 PM »
Captain Sir, I find your Corsair the bee's knees -- I saw the pic of the Gray Gull beautiful ship -- are you going with outside wing panel flaps or the gulls 6 part --- I didn't notice in the posts what the plan was as far as flaps -- and if the 6 part flaps - how - maybe you all know this stuff but after this ripvanwrinkle thing I'm one not knowing.

Offline Randy Snow

• Lieutenant
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2012, 06:54:31 PM »
Captain Sir, you did say stuntship right?

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2012, 07:41:13 AM »
I got a 5-pound digital ounce/gram scale for Costco (maybe Sam's?).  It didn't cost too much.  It goes down to 0.1 ounce which is OK for me, but the indoor guys scoff at it.  I'm constantly running stuff across it.

As for "density", I've weighed the off-the-shelf 1"x1"x36" Voodoo leading edges across my scale.  They ranged from 1.6 to 4.4 ounces. 

Indoor guys take their scales to the shop when they buy wood. 
Paul Smith

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2012, 08:40:58 AM »
Captain Sir, you did say stuntship right?

Randy,

I moved the project down here to "Scale." Scale building is what I do anyway.

I'll build this model as a scale model of the #57. Will it stunt? Probably not in the manner of which most would look at stunt. But I'll bet any money I'll get a good loop out of it.

I found a way to have flaps in both directions, then, for landings, just lowered flaps. The ailerons will not be flaps.

Charles

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2012, 08:43:56 AM »
I got a 5-pound digital ounce/gram scale for Costco (maybe Sam's?).  It didn't cost too much.  It goes down to 0.1 ounce which is OK for me, but the indoor guys scoff at it.  I'm constantly running stuff across it.

As for "density", I've weighed the off-the-shelf 1"x1"x36" Voodoo leading edges across my scale.  They ranged from 1.6 to 4.4 ounces. 

Indoor guys take their scales to the shop when they buy wood. 

Paul,

Are you going to hollow that 1" X 1" leading edge?

Charles

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2012, 05:19:47 PM »
Well, as I said, Here's the final side view of the F2G-1.

The green represents the fuselage I'll be working from. A standard F4U-1, from the H9 R/C ARF.

Now with this final side view I'll have enough line information to create the parts needed for the conversion to the F2G-1.

As you can see the differences are numerous. I've already received the engine, I'm working on a custom canopy and hopefully separate canopy frame, plus a custom cowling.

Charles

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2012, 04:51:23 PM »
Well, time to ruin a perfectly good $350.00 H9 ARF Corsair.   n~

Ever remove factory Monokote? Well it's a pain.

Gotta remember, I purched this model a few years ago, probably 2007 or 2008. Purchased it to build a F2G-1, # 57 Corsair for R/C. I tried many times to sell this ARF, and there were no takers.

I'm glad it didn't sell.

Don't think for one NY minute this fuselage is done or completed.

This fuselage has a long long way to go before it's a scale F2G-1. There's changes that have to be done everywhere.

Charles

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2012, 09:53:45 AM »
Well, not much to tell but, I had a bit of time today to progress with the F2G-1, actually the #57.

Here's what 15 minutes bought me. Not a lot actually. Just the lower rudder. Build hollow and you will build light. Well, whenever possible.

I'm waiting on dope so I can't actually continue with the rudder. Trailing edge and leading edge will be shaped when the rudder has coats of dope and gets covered with silk. Same with the trim tab.

I'll probably layout the pieces for the vertical stab or possibly move on to the front fuselage area. Not looking forward to that.

Charles

Offline Douglas Ames

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2012, 10:41:28 AM »
Looks good!
How much of the original ARF fuse do you think you'll have left?
Are you going to scrap the wing and build new?
AMA 656546

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2012, 12:47:04 PM »
Looks good! How much of the original ARF fuse do you think you'll have left? Are you going to scrap the wing and build new?

Douglas,

Thanks for your reply and interest.

If you examine the drawing of the fuselage, you will see the ARF fuselage outlined in green marker. I did this so the ARF fuselage could be identified. What's left is line art that is the #57 Corsair.

I have much to add to the doner fuselage actually. However, the nose structure on the F4U ARF from H9, which is the doner fuselage, has to have material removed around the firewall area to allow for correct scale construction changes necessary to achieve the look of the #57.

There's much to do there, but it won't be a secret, the work, which I'll do in steps will get Posted.

I was gong to build another wing at first. This was when I was considering making this Corsair a Stunt Corsair. However, I've now decided to go scale instead, so the wings and airfoil can be used. I may change the wing incidence a bit, I'm looking into this.

Thanks for the reply and interest.

Charles 

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2012, 05:15:50 PM »
Nothing to new, just another half hour. Here's what it got me.

Harder more dense wood for the vert stab LE. This is the attachment post for all the rudder pieces and the vert stab, does have to be a bit sturdy.

Once shaped I will drill a series of holes from the back, pull a bit of weight out of it, probably 20% less weight could be removed. It all adds up and this is scale. Weight with scale models adds up really fast.

Rough eyeball sanding to achieve the basic LE shape. It'll match the drawing when completed. Area behind the LE gets built up and sheeted. That'll be next.

Charles

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2012, 06:46:12 PM »
Put in a little time today building the structure for the vertical stab. It is thick enough to be built up.

What's left is the skin that goes over this frame, both sides. Area under the lower rudder will be last.

Front and rear fairings will be done with the rudder in place on the fuselage. That's a ways away.

Charles

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2012, 07:46:14 AM »
OK, More on the #57.

Today I'm starting to draw the scale exhaust. It will consist of a ring with outlets in scale positions as the actual aircraft.

When the drawing is completed, I'll Post it.

Charles

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2012, 03:06:39 PM »
Walter A. Musciano just recently published his ultimate Corsair book.  The book is HEAVY.

Paul Smith

Online Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2012, 04:00:48 PM »
And here is another good reference on the Corsair.  This has color graphics of virtually every version of the Corsair.
If you are collecting any informtion on the Corsair, this one is worth a look.  Amazon shows a good price on a used one.

http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-30-Years-Filibustering-1940-1970/dp/2913903282/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1337205379&sr=1-1

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2012, 06:53:08 PM »
And here is another good reference on the Corsair.  This has color graphics of virtually every version of the Corsair.
If you are collecting any informtion on the Corsair, this one is worth a look.  Amazon shows a good price on a used one.

Trostle,

I know of that book, it is a really good one. I may consider it. Keep in mind, my interest is the #57 and most of these books only touch on the #57.

I do have over thirty photos of the #57 which will aid me with the paint issue. Got them on line.

Thanks again!

Charles

Online Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #45 on: May 16, 2012, 08:01:41 PM »
Not a particularly good scan, but you get the idea of what is in this book  The book has a chapter, 8 pages, on the racing Corsairs, lots of color.  This shows the sunburst color scheme on the bottom of the wing.  The entire book is printed on glossy paper.

Keith

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #46 on: May 16, 2012, 08:13:01 PM »
Not a particularly good scan, but you get the idea of what is in this book  The book has a chapter, 8 pages, on the racing Corsairs, lots of color.  This shows the sunburst color scheme on the bottom of the wing.  The entire book is printed on glossy paper. Keith

Not a particularly good scan, but you get the idea of what is in this book  The book has a chapter, 8 pages, on the racing Corsairs, lots of color.  This shows the sunburst color scheme on the bottom of the wing.  The entire book is printed on glossy paper. Keith

Keith,

You have the book!

That top illustration of the #57 isn't the aircraft I'm modeling, the cowling is different. I believe that particular #57 is the first Corsair done up that way. The #57 I'm doing is newer. Still flying today.

Your book may have the info?

Charles

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #47 on: May 16, 2012, 09:28:54 PM »
#57 that is restored and flying now is the same #57 that was raced in the same scheme in 1949. It was the spare airplane, of the four acquired, that was not supposed to fly but be used as parts. After the loss of one of the three flyers in 1947 when flown by Tony Janazzo, owner Cook Cleland transferred the paperwork to the parts airplane and that is why it has the same N number as the black one that crashed. The airplane was listed as owned by pilot Ben McKillan to complete the ruse of it being a different airplane. The Navy Bu Numbers tell the real story, it was Cook's parts plane, the fourth ship that was supposed to remain grounded.

The cowling was missing after the airplane was transferred from one owner to the next in the 60's through the 90's. The cowling scoop presently is built up from a Lockheed Harpoon carb air intake scoop. It looks very similar to the one on # 74 which was custom made by Cleland's crew in the 40's.

The scoop used on #57 in the 40's was a Navy Test Center design and worked very well. I asked Bob Odegarrd about it when he first arrived with #57 at Reno in 1999 and he said he wished it had been included with the airplane because it's rare and it would've saved him a lot of work building one up, too.

Chris...
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 11:16:51 PM by Chris McMillin »

Online Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #48 on: May 16, 2012, 10:21:53 PM »
Keith,

You have the book!

That top illustration of the #57 isn't the aircraft I'm modeling, the cowling is different. I believe that particular #57 is the first Corsair done up that way. The #57 I'm doing is newer. Still flying today.

Your book may have the info?

Charles

Charles --  I have lots of books  --

This book that has informatin on the racing Corsairs only tells part of the story that Chris provided.  The series of books titled "Racing Planes and Air Racers" by Reed Kinert, particularly Volume IV, also only tells part of the story about Cook and his Corsairs.  I would use any information that Chris provides as authoritive material.

Keith

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #49 on: May 18, 2012, 11:18:45 PM »
Hey Charlie,
I remember that series of "1001 Ways..." mags from my grade school days building plastic and C/L Scale models. Brings back memories.
Chris...

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #50 on: May 25, 2012, 12:28:40 PM »
OK, it's been awhile but I am making slow progress.

Back on track with the #57 and looks like I've created some problems for myself.

Just got back my laser cut parts for the scale tail wheel.

Let's see.

This thingie goes with that thingie and these two thingies get glued to those thingies but that thingie gets glassed first and can't fit this thingie until this other thingies is attached to..

Where's the bloody drawing?   n~

Charles

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #51 on: May 27, 2012, 02:21:25 PM »
Yep, that is what happens when you leave a project  for a time. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #52 on: July 10, 2012, 09:09:58 AM »
Well, it's time to bring this Thread to the front!

I'm progressing with the rudder. Here's a few photos.

I haven't applied silk in over 49 years, not to say I had a bit of trouble.

But thanks to the great guys at SH, Guys like Mark, Dan, Bill, Billy, Ed, Randy, and many others, with their advice and patients and generosity, I managed.

I first doped the tail end of The New American. Couple of issues there, but like I said, the guys got me through it.

The rudder, no issues at all. I paid attention to advice this time. Three coats of Sig clear on the wood before applying the silk and I was good to go.

Couple of models down the road and I'll be giving advice!  ;D

Thanks again guys, probably would have been more difficult without you.

Hey! Starting to look like a rudder.

Charles 

Offline Glenn (Gravitywell) Reach

• Gravitywell
  • 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #53 on: July 10, 2012, 12:15:18 PM »
Am loving this build Charles.  Thanks for all your posts, always informative. H^^
Glenn Reach
Westlock, Alberta
gravitywell2011 @ gmail . com

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #54 on: July 10, 2012, 01:22:23 PM »
Am loving this build Charles.  Thanks for all your posts, always informative. H^^

Glenn,

Wow! Thanks so much, we modelers do love encouragement. Few words but great words!

I put another coat of Sig dope on this morning. I'll cover the other side later today. When my knees stop shaking. Just kidding?

I'm lucky with this build. I don't have to build the fuselage or wings. However, both need many changes. Sometimes it's easier to start from scratch.

The F2G fuselage is really different than the typical Corsair. I'll be busy with that. I'm adding flaps to the wing.

I will try to make this model as close to scale as possible.

Thanks again!

Charles

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #55 on: July 10, 2012, 03:01:43 PM »
Well,

Here's the flip side. Same as the other but backwards.

Getting better at this silk thing.

Charles

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #56 on: July 10, 2012, 08:24:32 PM »
Charles,
one of the things you were warned about ( and you always follow advice you say) is to NOT cover ONE side at a time,, always cover both sides, especially before putting any dope on the silk,,,, doing it one side at a time is a great way to end up with a sculpture,, twisted and unusable
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #57 on: July 10, 2012, 08:36:32 PM »
Charles,
one of the things you were warned about ( and you always follow advice you say) is to NOT cover ONE side at a time,, always cover both sides, especially before putting any dope on the silk,,,, doing it one side at a time is a great way to end up with a sculpture,, twisted and unusable

Mark,

Interesting. What about all that overhanging silk? You have to put a second coat on the edges before anything is trimmed.

??????????????

Charles

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here