News:

• May 05, 2024, 01:31:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Ryan STA  (Read 1110 times)

Offline Allen Goff

• Charter Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • Fellowship of Christan modelers
Ryan STA
« on: November 11, 2010, 03:42:55 PM »
What great weather for Nov. 11th in Indiana. #^ #^ #^
Took the Ryan STA out to AMA today to test the new Satio gas 4 stroke. What a nice time it was, sunny, 5 mph wind, and 70 degrees.

The engine ran perfectly, idle was great, and it is everything you could want in a motor (gas or glow.) I made many, many touch and go's, and it was fun to taxi around the circle then take off again. Had it in the air for two flights for a total of 25 minutes and used less than 4 oz. of gas. Now that in it's self is a savings of $5.00 plus over the glow setup.  I can't wait till next year, I think I will fly the Ryan at the "Nats".

The weather for tomorrow is to be some of the same, and I plan on flying some more. BUT.....Saturday it turns back to normal temps for Nov., high's in the low 50s and rain. Happy Thanksgiving all.

Blessings
Allen

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
Re: Ryan STA
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2010, 05:06:18 PM »
It sounds as if you have solved the take-off problem with the gear on the Ryan.  Waytago!
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline Allen Goff

• Charter Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2010, 04:32:16 AM »
The problem is fixed. It was a combination of the tail wheel aliening with the rudder, and enlarging the wheel openings in the wheel pants. Wish I could get the Waco and the Stearman to touch down and stay down as easy as the Ryan does.

Blessings

Offline John Witt

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2010, 11:31:26 PM »
That is nice to hear, Allen.  I have one of the Brodak PT-21's about 60% complete. It is electric, of course and will have one of Clancy's throttles.  It is primarily a test ship to learn how to do metal covering.  Awful kit, would have been faster to scratch build it.  How about a picture or two of yours?

John
John Witt
AMA 19892
Edmonds, WA
"Houston, Tranquillity Base here. The Eagle has landed."

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2010, 06:54:42 PM »
You say the Brodak PT-21 kit is awfull  ??? ??? ??? What is wrong with it  ??? ???
Leester
ama 830538

Offline Mike Lauerman

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2010, 09:30:16 AM »
That is nice to hear, Allen.  I have one of the Brodak PT-21's about 60% complete. It is electric, of course and will have one of Clancy's throttles.  It is primarily a test ship to learn how to do metal covering.  Awful kit, would have been faster to scratch build it.  How about a picture or two of yours?

John

Hi, John. Love the cowl work, and metal covering! (is that done with Printer's plate?)
The oval thimbles at the leadout exits are functional as well as vintage. (no binding on lines at extremes)
Some grown men flew C/L near my home in 1949, and I remember the hardware...those ovals were standard hardware then. Intriguing ship...

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2010, 02:26:46 PM »
What great weather for Nov. 11th in Indiana. #^ #^ #^
Took the Ryan STA out to AMA today to test the new Satio gas 4 stroke. What a nice time it was, sunny, 5 mph wind, and 70 degrees.

The engine ran perfectly, idle was great, and it is everything you could want in a motor (gas or glow.) I made many, many touch and go's, and it was fun to taxi around the circle then take off again. Had it in the air for two flights for a total of 25 minutes and used less than 4 oz. of gas. Now that in it's self is a savings of $5.00 plus over the glow setup.  I can't wait till next year, I think I will fly the Ryan at the "Nats".

The weather for tomorrow is to be some of the same, and I plan on flying some more. BUT.....Saturday it turns back to normal temps for Nov., high's in the low 50s and rain. Happy Thanksgiving all.

Blessings
Allen

Allen..
HOPE THAT BBBBUUUTTTT FUL' WEATHER IS STILL BEHOLDIN' AND HOLDING FOR U..
ARE WE ENVUS OR WHUT;???! BW@
OLD SHULTZIE exiled here in "RAIN SOAKED PINEAPPLE EXPRESS Gig Harbor Wa.country.
..Thankfully you are still of sound body and mind and just maybe helping me UNFUZZ my long term memory cells...where in the  VD~ I shot these  undated stamped slides this amazing RYAN?
Any of you lurking scale addicted souls...jump in here and joggle my mind...What, Where, n' when  gifted sould built and flew this amazing piece of art?

Don Shultz

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2010, 09:37:15 AM »
Looks like the one at the '69 Nats in Philly, Donaldo. Nice model. I think there were two of them, one had a painted silver body and this one with the plating. I think of that Nats often, it was a great experience for me. Of course you factor in highly on the fun memories.
Chris...

Offline Allen Goff

• Charter Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2010, 05:10:47 PM »
John, nice look'en Ryan. y1  Are you going to bring it to the "Nats" next year? I'd like to see it when you get it done.

Blessings
Allen

Offline John Witt

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2010, 05:25:59 PM »
Thank you, Allen.  It's one of several things going at once so the progress isn't too fast, and I am not completely happy with the metal work.  The later part is better than the earlier stuff and since I took the pictures I have discovered some mag wheel polish that makes it shine more. From 15 feet it doesn't look too bad, tho.

The chances of getting to the Nats this coming summer are improving.  It looks as though I am going to leave my steady job soon, not exactly retire, but have more time on my own schedule, perhaps.  If so I will bring the Jenny and the PT both. I'd really like to do a precision scale model too, but even if I started right now, it would have to be next year.  It's just a gleam in the eye at the moment.

Sure love hearing from you guys,

John
John Witt
AMA 19892
Edmonds, WA
"Houston, Tranquillity Base here. The Eagle has landed."

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here