• April 26, 2024, 11:55:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: rivets  (Read 935 times)

Offline roger

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
rivets
« on: January 03, 2011, 07:09:24 PM »
i know there ??? is a way of making fake rivets on say the inside the cockpit area usuing a needle and glue, dose any body know this system?
roger

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
Re: rivets
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 07:27:55 PM »
Hi Roger,

Yes, I have seen it done.   ;D

A hypodermic syringe/needle blunted, and white glue were used.  Squeeze out a drop, and on and on until you're done.  When the drop dries it makes a decent looking "rivet".  A bit of practice to get the idea of what size the "drop" needs to be, it's cheap practice since Elmer's Glu All is cheap! LOL!!! 

I seem to remember Sig making scale rivets, but you would have to check their catalog to see if they are still available.  Scale bolts, too.  For bolts, Evergreen Plastics makes small diameter hex rod that you can slice off to fake hex bolt heads.  Down to about .010 dia.

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Allen Goff

• Charter Member
  • Admiral
    • Fellowship of Christan modelers
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 02:56:41 AM »
Joe, Sig sell's a small plastic syringe just right for rivets, and white glue too.

blessings
Allen

Offline Mike Gretz

• ACE
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2011, 09:41:45 AM »
Bill, SIG hasn't sold those aluminum rivets for ten years or so.  Our original supplier quit making them in the size we liked. No great loss though, as they were actually not the best solution to the problem of simulating rivet detail.  They were a shortcut, but not as scale looking as the "glue rivets" that are now commonly used.

The old SIG aluminum rivets had a perfectly round head, that was actually too tall - like a complete semi-circle.  The actual rivets on a full-scale airplane are more elliptical or "mushroom head" shaped - like the top 1/4 of a circle.  Glue rivets are actually a more scale like reproduction of the real thing.

There is a lot of info on applying glue rivets online.  Here are some links, including a youtube video:

http://www.rcscalebuilder.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=7045&KW=rivets
http://www.rcscalebuilder.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=14236&KW=rivets
http://www.rcscalebuilder.com/Tutorials/panels_and_rivets/default.htm

By the way, that www.rcscalebuilder.com forum is a wealth of great knowledge for scale builders, even if you are not doing R/C.

Mike

Offline John Witt

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2011, 09:38:06 PM »
Check out the model railroad guys as well for scale hardware. Grandt Line makes a bunch of different nut and bolt castings in plastic. I have a number of them on my Jenny, mostly the 1/4 inch scale stuff.  They also make plastic rivets, but they are of the old time structural round head type used on bridges.

John Witt
John Witt
AMA 19892
Edmonds, WA
"Houston, Tranquillity Base here. The Eagle has landed."

Offline Neville Legg

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 12:51:18 AM »
Go to www.mickreevesmodels.co.uk and then the accessories section, and you'll find a scale rivets system!

Cheers
"I think, therefore I have problems"

(not) Descartes

Offline Allen Goff

• Charter Member
  • Admiral
    • Fellowship of Christan modelers
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 05:48:45 AM »
One more thing to consider, weight. Metal or white glue? Scale ships are heavy, as a general rule, thats one reason I went with the glue rivets on my last ship. Good luck.

Blessings
Allen

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2011, 08:49:28 PM »
Bill, SIG hasn't sold those aluminum rivets for ten years or so.  Our original supplier quit making them in the size we liked. No great loss though, as they were actually not the best solution to the problem of simulating rivet detail.  They were a shortcut, but not as scale looking as the "glue rivets" that are now commonly used.

The old SIG aluminum rivets had a perfectly round head, that was actually too tall - like a complete semi-circle.  The actual rivets on a full-scale airplane are more elliptical or "mushroom head" shaped - like the top 1/4 of a circle.  Glue rivets are actually a more scale like reproduction of the real thing.

There is a lot of info on applying glue rivets online.  Here are some links, including a youtube video:

http://www.rcscalebuilder.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=7045&KW=rivets
http://www.rcscalebuilder.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=14236&KW=rivets
http://www.rcscalebuilder.com/Tutorials/panels_and_rivets/default.htm

By the way, that www.rcscalebuilder.com forum is a wealth of great knowledge for scale builders, even if you are not doing R/C.

Mike

HI Mike,

Thanks for the update.  My memory is great for going back "10 years", but terrible for going back 10 minutes. LOL!! 

I had known of the glue rivets for a long time, and I figured I would go that route, myself, when I do the "Scale *Thang*".  All "my" scale pursuits of a real nature were relegated to IPMS contests, years ago, when we had to "stretch sprue" to make a lot of details and such..  I became too "anal" to suit myself with that scene, though.  Still dabble in it, though, and as the nature of my physical limitations become more and more real, "stunt" might have to take the back seat before too long, and Scale could be the subject I move to.  I can't conceive giving up C/L flying!

Thanks, again,
Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here