News:

• May 01, 2024, 04:39:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: recommend a first scale model  (Read 925 times)

Offline Ron Hopping

• drinking nitro and spitting fire
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
  • love my jax
recommend a first scale model
« on: May 23, 2009, 09:12:16 PM »
hello all could you fella,s recommend a first scale c/l model preferably a profile kit,40 size?i have been away from flying for a spell and would like to start a scale model as i think scale will be my poison,Thanks Ron
Ronald Hopping.Newbaden,IL

Offline chuck snyder

• Commander
Re: recommend a first scale model
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2009, 06:54:15 AM »
Ron, the only currently available kit I can think of that meets your criteria is Brodak's La5  -I tried to post a link but it didn't work. Go to Brodak.com,airplane kits, and scale kits. I have seen John's prototype, but don't remember seeing how it flew. Most of the profile models I have seen at contests were scratch built. (which is actually pretty easy to do)
Chuck

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2009, 07:35:13 AM »
If you haven't flown "3-line" before, you should retrofit one of your old planes and get some hands on exprience before you build "the big one".
Paul Smith

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2009, 07:53:47 AM »
What I have been doing is converting RC scale kits to U-Control.  One project I have considered is the House OF Balsa T-6 Texan.  You can get the kit from Tower for under $50.  It comes with full size plans and a decal set.  It wouldn't be that hard to design and build your own profile fuselage using full size plans as a templet.  The kit would give you a wing and tail feathers.  Don't get me wrong it will take some engineering skills to design your own controll system but all of the components are radially available at Brodak.  I would retain the ailerons but I would put them on adjustable fixed control rods.  This way you adjust them to trim for level flight.

Don't forget you need a 3 line setup for throttle.  The previous post has a good suggestion. It will do two things - give you a chance to practice flying 3 line and get your RC engine working.  It ain't no fun to destroy a scale model because the engine went soft.

The bottom line is that we U-control folks are on our own to make it work.  PS the Brodak La5 looks like a really fun project - especially for your first go at scale.

~>  #^  :!    H^^

John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2009, 08:59:27 AM »
I did a little more research. Pat Johnston and Dee Rice have teamed up to form the Brothers of the Ring Modeling venture which will focus on all wood laser cut “short-kits.”

http://www.brothersofthering.com/

If you go to Profile kits they have quite a few.  I have a couple of there custom Ringmaster kits and they are first class in every respect.  You email them and tell them what you want and they will fix you up.  These are not complete kits so its up to you come up with some of the wood and all of the hardware.  $$$$

#^  #^

John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Ron Hopping

• New Pilot
  • love my jax
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2009, 12:36:44 PM »
thanks for the replys i have checked the brotherhood of the ring and they do have a few nice profiles,

Offline Ron Hopping

• New Pilot
  • love my jax
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2009, 07:40:05 PM »
thanks TY no bipes for my first scale.

Offline Bill Heher

• Fix-it
  • 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
  • I may not always BOM- but I do the re-builds!
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2009, 11:37:22 PM »
I went the same route as Ty,drooled over that Neuport 28 kit at the hobby shop for at least 2 months before I scaped enough to but it and a pint of Aero Gloss Grey and Sky Blue.

Took me about 7 years to finally finish it- but it looked good. It had to- I used most of both pints of dope, brushed on straight from the can! Pretty darn good replica machine guns from the details on the plan, a dashing Williams Brothers pilot with a scarf  and a snarling K&B Stallion .35 up Front.

A big chunk of lead in the bottom of the cowl and it balanced O.K.  gotta fly it some time- right? yeah right.
Engine wouldn't start so I pulled the prop and cowl off. Checked it over, primed it and pop- it was running. needled to a nice snarl and let it run- perfect. Filled it up, fired right up again and I went to the handle, kenny let her go and it rolled nice for 20-30 feet - a tough of up and away we go, straight up over on it's back. Crash!! OOpps- forgot about that chunk of lead in the cowl i never put back on.

Yeah I would say - build a nice profile with a decent size wing, external controls so you can fiddle away, and a good reliable engine.
Bill Heher
Central Florida and across the USA!
If it's broke Fix-it
If it ain't broke- let me see it for a minute AMA 264898- since 1988!

Offline L0U CRANE

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2009, 02:07:22 PM »
Ron,

Added to all the good word you have by now, if you don't have a goat to bash around for a three-line trainer, you might do well with a SIG Skyray 35.

It is a pretty sturdy design, and if the fancy takes you, there is a Class of Skyray Carrier. Some places, Some times. The Carrier forum in here might give you some ideas on that... Might not, I haven't looked in there for a while...

Three-line flight is a lot of fun by itself! Scale models, sometimes, tend to be touchy and fragile fliers. It might be an idea to master the mechanics of controlling them (handle, lines throttle bellcrank) before you are challenged by a more tricky model to handle.
\BEST\LOU

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2009, 10:53:03 AM »
Might check with Clancy Arnold about his U-Tronics units for throttle.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2009, 11:08:30 AM »
Might check with Clancy Arnold about his U-Tronics units for throttle.  DOC Holliday

I use an electronic throttle (One of a kind my own design) and it has many advantages.  The foremost is that it is easy to set up.  Also if the lines go slack you still have motor controll.  You can add a or cut power depending on what is best to save the day.  I have looked at Clancy's setup and it looks first class and the price is right.  The major problem for some is that it looks like it takes a little electronics skills to get the insulated lines set up. By the way I think Brodak sell insulated lines.
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2009, 06:20:30 PM »
As the designer of Brodak's LA-5, I can tell you that it was designed, first and formost, to be a flyer. John B built 2 pf them, one for practise, and one to compete with. He crashed the practise one while flying a combat match with his brother.

He won Profile Scale at the Nat's with the other one, posting one of the highest static scores, coupled with a very good flying score. I spent a lot of time trying to keep accurate scale  shapes and profile.

In my opinion, it's an easy to build kit, that if kept to a reasonable weight, will fly very well. I believe it's an excellent entry into scale competition.

Getting a line on life. AMA 1601

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here