News:

• May 02, 2024, 04:58:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Question on leadouts on a scale model  (Read 1736 times)

Offline EF

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
Question on leadouts on a scale model
« on: September 05, 2008, 09:23:14 AM »
I guess it's a rather basic question but here goes:

I noticed the leadouts on scale models are usually outside of the wing.
It is perfectly understandable when the model has dihedral or is a bipe, but if it's a model with a straight or very little dihedral wing, is there a reason to still run the leadouts outside?
Erez

Online chuck snyder

• Commander
Re: Question on leadouts on a scale model
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2008, 10:41:53 AM »
I like to have the leadouts at, or near, the vertical center of gravity of the model to promote wings level flight. For a lot of low wing scale models this results in the leadouts being above the wing.

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2008, 03:14:33 PM »
I like to have the leadouts at, or near, the vertical center of gravity of the model to promote wings level flight. For a lot of low wing scale models this results in the leadouts being above the wing.

The idea that it is important for the leadouts to be located near the vertical center of gravity is good.  Depending on the aircraft design, many low wing airplanes will have enough dihedral where the wing tip is not that far away from the vertical CG of a model replica.  Many WW II fighters would fall into this category.  Running the leadouts through the wing to exit the wing tips would not place the leadouts that far away from the vertical CG and using sufficient outboard tip weight to balance the weight of the lines will result in a model that does not fly with the outboard tip excessively high.  (On a CL scale model, the use of plenty of outboard tip weight is advisable up to the point that the amount is not ludicroously excessive.)  There are some full scale aircraft which would not adapt to this approach to run the leadout through the tips as well as others.  An inverted engine with an appropriately place fuel tank coupled with the landing gear design (as well as other factors) will all have a bearing on where the vertical CG is.

And has been discussed and shown on these forums before, the important part of leadouts position is their location relative to the CG.  The placement of the bellcrank can essentially be wherever it is structurally sensible to do so.

Keith

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
  • I am 5 Ft. 8 In., the Taube is 7 Ft. 4 In.
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2008, 07:11:54 PM »
In place of lots of tip weight, I use only enough to offset the weight of the lines.

Then I add right aileron to maintain line tension.  The right aileron up and the left aileron down.  It does not take much offset to do the trick.  A 1/4 inch up and down is enough.  If you rely only on tip weight, if the model gets tuned in any you may be in trouble.  I have had Scale C/L models get turned in but they will immediately start banking away from me and return to the end of the lines.  You can adjust the amount of aileron offset to adjust the pull on the lines.  Use only enough to make it fly level when flying at about 10 to 15 feet high.

A trick I learned from Jack Sheeks is to hang the model from the lines and look at how near vertical the wings are.  Adjust the line guide height to make the wing hang vertical.  While you are at it adjust the line guide position to have the fuselage hanging level or just slightly nose down.

Clancy
Clancy Arnold
Indianapolis, IN   AMA 12560 LM-S
U/Tronics Control
U/Control with electronics added.

Offline EF

• New Pilot
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2008, 12:30:00 AM »
Thanks for the detailed answers! they certainly clarify the issue.

Regarding the tip on the ailerons - it certainly makes a lot of sense.
Question - is rudder offset not enough to ensure the model will always correct itself towards the end of the lines?
Erez

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2008, 06:25:05 AM »
In place of lots of tip weight, I use only enough to offset the weight of the lines.

Then I add right aileron to maintain line tension.  The right aileron up and the left aileron down.  It does not take much offset to do the trick.  A 1/4 inch up and down is enough. 

(clip)

Clancy

That is really a good idea.  On my Martin Baker MB 5, I had operating ailerons and rudder that worked with the controls in the cockpit.  Rudder pedals worked with the rudder, the control column with a spade grip worked with the elevators and ailerons.  These controls operated in both directions for static display.  Prior to flight, a linkage was made to the throttle control such that for high speed throttle setting, there would only be slight right rudder and slight right aileron settings.  As the throttle was reduced for slower speed, the rudder offset for more right and the ailerons moved for more right bank.  The deflections were not excessive, but noticeable.  It seemed to work very well.  However, I still used slightly more tip weight than was necessary to offset the weight of the lines, like 1.5 ounces on this 42 inch span model.

The linkage was connected to the throttle pushrod inside the nose cowl.  The bellcrank was mounted in the wing with the leadouts through the wing tip.

Keith

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2008, 07:34:51 AM »
There is no limit to what I don't know and what I can learn on this BB.  I am about ready to put the first flight on my Extra 300S  I had never thought about vertical center of gravity.  But the big deal is I never thought about cranking in a little right turn with the ailerons.  I have them hooked up as control line flaps but I can adjust them seperately.  Cool and thanks!    #^
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2008, 12:51:29 PM »
John
Reading your last post, I have one worry! 

If you are planning on doing stunts, be aware that the offset ailerons will make it turn away from you upright but towards you inverted!!!  Think about it.  The Aileron offset drops the outboard wing tip up right but will lift the outboard wing tip inverted.

That is the time to only use Rudder and Engine offset to maintain line tension.
Clancy
Clancy Arnold
U/Tronics Control

Offline Just One-eye

• Another Old Fart
  • Commander
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2008, 01:10:00 PM »
Or else it's time to add a servo and linkage for an electronic control that neutralizes the deflection for stunting. 

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2008, 06:44:38 PM »
John
Reading your last post, I have one worry! 

If you are planning on doing stunts, be aware that the offset ailerons will make it turn away from you upright but towards you inverted!!!  Think about it.  The Aileron offset drops the outboard wing tip up right but will lift the outboard wing tip inverted.

That is the time to only use Rudder and Engine offset to maintain line tension.
Clancy
Clancy, you are right!   I am hoping for hornzal 8s inside loops and inverted flight.  I do have engine off set and the rudder in on a servo so I will be able to adjust it.  I think I will adjust the Ailerons 0-0.  Line rake and wing tip are also the order of the day.  Clancy  - Once again thanks!
 mw~
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2008, 09:58:44 AM »
John
One benefit of the Aileron offset is that the amount of right bank is dependant on flight speed.  That is why I stated to adjust it to level the wings when flying at 10 to 15 feet.  When you slow down for your touch and go or landing, the amount of outboard wing droop will reduce and the model will land on both main gears at the same time.  Looks much better to the crowd, and more importantly, to the judges than a one wheel touch down.

You thought C/L Scale was going to be easy!!! LOL  LOL

John, a final thought, use the Ailerons during landings to help with line tension at the reduced speed when you are most vulnerable to wind gusts.

Good luck and hope to meet you in Muncie next year,

Clancy
Clancy Arnold
U/Tronics Control

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2008, 10:21:24 AM »
EF
Back to your question.

Rudder offset and Engine offset both help maintain line tension.  Aileron offset will add even more line tension.  When the model is slowed down for landing it will reduce the amount of bank the model wants to fly in allowing better landings.  Excessive tip weight is there all of the time and causes bad (one wheel) landings. 

The big difference is that if the wind lifts your outboard wing tip, Rudder or Engine offset is not working to get the wing tip back down, only Aileron offset is.  I have a profile Cessna 152 that when I fly it at 45 degrees, I can reduce throttle and it will roll wings level and retain good line tension.  Do not try that with out Aileron offset.

Just my personal experience and observations speaking. 

Remember, total weight is not in your favor.  Tip weight adds to your total weight.   Aileron offset weight nothing.  And you thought something for nothing was impossible.

Clancy
Clancy Arnold
U/Tronics Control

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2008, 11:41:20 AM »
I have found that tip weight is always there, because gravity is omnipresent.

At slower speeds, fixed aileron offset authority is reduced.

A balance of aileron offset and tip weight is best.

Aileron offset for aerobatics could become problematical.

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2008, 01:11:45 PM »
I won't use it for the original flight but I am thinking about adding a mixer - the type used on a v-tail RC airplane. They are cheep $15-$20.  My ailerons/elavator are already driven by servos.  My bellcrank drives a pot that generates the siginal for elavator/aileraons.  My throttle/smoke control system has an unused channel that I could use for aileron trim. This would be truly a plug and play for me.
 #^
John Rist
AMA 56277

Online chuck snyder

• Commander
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2008, 07:25:37 PM »
John, if I were judging your flight and noticed that your ailerons were working like flaps on a stunt model, I would be deducting some points. Certainly in realism. Maybe in each maneuver that was "better" because of the flaps. In my opinion that is not a scale-like control surface movement. It is not spelled out in the rules, and other judges might feel differently.
Chuck

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2008, 08:39:45 PM »
Unless it was an Ultimate bipe or some of the monoplanes that actually have moving flaps, right Chuck?!
Chris...

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2008, 11:02:38 AM »
John, if I were judging your flight and noticed that your ailerons were working like flaps on a stunt model, I would be deducting some points. Certainly in realism. Maybe in each maneuver that was "better" because of the flaps. In my opinion that is not a scale-like control surface movement. It is not spelled out in the rules, and other judges might feel differently.
Chuck

We are talking about an Extra 300S.  It does not have flaps - only ailerons.  On a control line ship it is a little hard to find a good use for ailerons unless they act as stunt ship flaps.  If that is a NO-NO how am I supposed to get an eight pound, 64" wingspan airplane with a ST 90 swinging a 3 bladed prop to turn tight enough to do loops?  A tight loop for RC and a tight loop for control line are way different. We are talking stand-off scale.  During scale judging the ailerons will be displayed one up and one down.  I am new to all this so what do I know! An Extra 300S turns on a dime ---- so how do you do that?  I can't see geting good flight score with level flight -----
John Rist
AMA 56277

Online chuck snyder

• Commander
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2008, 01:57:33 PM »
Chris, I plead ignorance on how the control surfaces move on some of the aerobatic planes. If I modeled a plane that had coupled flaps and elevators, I would have documentation to show the judges that my model was correct. The judges are expected to have general knowledge of airplanes, but not know the specifics of an out of the ordinary configuration.

John, six most common optional demonstrations without loops: throttle, overshoot, high flight, touch & go (2), taxi. Note that starting in 2009 taxi will only be a single option. And I agree with you that a scale diameter loop is not likely in C/L.

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2008, 03:01:57 PM »
John,
the coupled flaps on a stunt plane actually do not speed up the corner, from my understanding, because of the nose down pitching moment they introduce they actually work against the corner. My no flap airplanes almost all turn tighter than my flapped airplanes.  I dont think that completing a loop or not being able to will be related to flaps or no flaps, I beleive tail authority and effectivness will have more bearing. that and the CG placement. Flaps generate lift,, tail generates rotation,, to put it simply,,
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2008, 03:27:25 PM »
John,
the coupled flaps on a stunt plane actually do not speed up the corner, from my understanding, because of the nose down pitching moment they introduce they actually work against the corner. My no flap airplanes almost all turn tighter than my flapped airplanes.  I dont think that completing a loop or not being able to will be related to flaps or no flaps, I beleive tail authority and effectivness will have more bearing. that and the CG placement. Flaps generate lift,, tail generates rotation,, to put it simply,,

Now I am really confused!  With my setup when the elevator goes up both ailerons go down and when the elevator goes down both ailerons go up.  When doing an inside loop the up angle on the elavator forces the tail down. The downward moving aielorans create more lift forcing the noise up.  Why wouldn't this create a tighter loop?  If this not true why are all master class stunt ships using coupled elavator / aileorn setups?  The bigger question is considering that real aircraft never do it this way does such a setup hurt your flight realism score.  Am I to assume that most all control line scale aircraft have non functional (fixed) ailerons?  Remember I am talking stand off scale not pricision scale.   HB~>
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2008, 04:24:38 PM »
John,
we are talking apples and oranges here. well sort of. you are correct, when the elevator on a stunt ship goes down, the flaps go up. However, your concern was stated as not sure you would be able to do a loop without the flaps coupled into the elevator like a stunt ship. My opinion based on experience and what I have read, when using flaps on a stunter, its not about being able to turn tighter,, its about the quality of the turn, and being able to fly the corner. Flaps act as a stabilizing force and improve the quality of the turn. They do allow you to carry more weight in a stunter and still maintain turn. But I still stand by the fact that my flapless airplanes will turn as tight or tighter than a flapped airplane. you are not able to ""control"" the turn as well however. so in your case, the flaps will not really help you loop as much,,
one other thought, I thought that part of the rules for Scale was that all flight primary flight controls, (up and down) had to be controled by the flying lines? does your system of servoes on the Flaperons meet this or am I full of baloney on that part of the rules?
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2008, 05:26:22 PM »

(clip)

The bigger question is considering that real aircraft never do it this way does such a setup hurt your flight realism score.  Am I to assume that most all control line scale aircraft have non functional (fixed) ailerons?  Remember I am talking stand off scale not pricision scale.   HB~>

Without doing the research as to specific aircraft, there are certain full size aerobatic aircraft that couple flaps with the elevators to get increased lift in the loops.  The Wagner-Hirth Akrostar is one.  I beleive there are others.  Maybe Chris McMillin can enlighten us with this onw.

Keith

Online chuck snyder

• Commander
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2008, 08:20:36 PM »
Mark, the FAI scale rules require that the elevator be mechanically controlled from the handle. The AMA rules do not require this. John's system is OK under AMA rules.

John, the event you plan to fly is called "Sport Scale." The better models don't deviate much from scale outlines. In R/C where there is a lot more competition the static rules are the same--the Top Gun models you see in the magazines are judged from a "stand off" distance.

The opinions that have been offered here have all been in good faith. Many of us learned this stuff the hard way; with these forums, you can get the "experience" for free. And of course you can decide that the free advice is worth what it cost you.

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2008, 02:02:18 AM »
Chuck and Keith,

I know of a couple airplanes that have inteconnected flaps/elevators. The Ultimate biplane and the Hirth Akrostar (thanks Keith, I couldn't remember it right off).
I agree that it should be pointed out to the judges if operable, Chuck.
You are correct that in the Extra designs it is not an option.

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2008, 02:28:57 AM »
Now I am really confused!  With my setup when the elevator goes up both ailerons go down and when the elevator goes down both ailerons go up.  When doing an inside loop the up angle on the elavator forces the tail down. The downward moving aielorans create more lift forcing the noise up.  Why wouldn't this create a tighter loop?  If this not true why are all master class stunt ships using coupled elavator / aileorn setups?  The bigger question is considering that real aircraft never do it this way does such a setup hurt your flight realism score.  Am I to assume that most all control line scale aircraft have non functional (fixed) ailerons?  Remember I am talking stand off scale not pricision scale.   HB~>

Hi John,
The flaps will help your model because it is heavy. The elevator is probably large enough to over come the downward pitching moment that flaps produce. With them as large as they are, they would not have to deflect very much.

I wouldn't bother, as full points aren't a problem with the regular options. At 8 pounds the model probably won't do a loop in the room available. No sense in wrecking it.

You can build your next one just like a stunter and it'll loop. 
Weight must be kept down. Materials (four to six pound balsa, ply firewall, bellcrank mount and gear mount ONLY[yeah that ply spar, spruce stringers and bass whatevers, and fibreglass anything just have to go!]), etc) and control system (two micro servos, one throttle and one smoke, tiny batt pack as tip weight, no extras) must be lightweight.
Two pound motors are out, too. This is C/L. Use a 60, make your own lightweight muffler. Then it'll loop without flaps and be fine.
With C/L, weight is the enemy if one wants to acro. You must throw out everything that doesn't need to be there. R/C paradigm is totally different, leave it at the R/C field. Ask the Stunt guys what to do in the construction. Over 85 oz and it's not going to loop.

Scale guys build pretty heavy, so they are a great help with the systems, but the weight is the Stunter's area of expertise. If you want to acro in scale, you've got to use both C/L areas to get there, Stunt and Scale. That R/C stuff is baggage in the circle, leave it home.

Check your PM's, I sent you a message.

Chris...

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2008, 05:22:39 PM »
I feel the need to support Mark's comments concerning the effects of flaps verses elevators.  Chris and other full scale pilots are already aware of this, but maybe my experience will be a positive support for any who are unsure of the fact.
In the mid seventies I owned and operated a full scale Piper Pawnee for a couple of years.  One day when I was walking out to make a final run I thought how much like a c/l stunter the little beast looked.  That got my curiousity going so after I was done with the final field and ferrying home I went a little extra high to play a bit.  The flaps on a Pawnee can be actuated, if I remember correctly, at 100 mph, a rather high speed for such a category of airplane.  I slowed to 100, gave it full throttle, and hit full flaps and up elevator together.
HA HA!!  Imagine my consternation when the ship just put the nose down and ballooned about a hundred feet straight up!  No positive rotation at all!
The tail on the Pawnee is quite anemic, for sure, but the flaps ain't all that big either.  I recommend no flaps for your operation, simply forget the loop, it won't score you any higher than high flight or other manuevors.
Blessings,
Will
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2008, 11:45:52 AM »
Will,
I flew a Bee Jay that flew like that!
With the small % tail and low vertical cg position of the flaps because of the low wing position on the Pawnee, I'm not suprised of it's reaction!
Chris...

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2008, 02:11:33 PM »
John
If you want to utilize the ailerons you could do a "wing wave" in flight.  Just be sure you time it to raise the outboard wing down wind and lower the outboard wing up wind.  If I was going to try this, I would want a caller in the center with me to call "Up wind" and "Down wind" in relation to the position of the model around the circle.  Up wind right bank, Down wind left bank (just a little past horizontal).  These calls must be made just before the model reaches 90 degrees from the direction of the wind.  If the wind shifts, the caller must compinsate.  Have I got you comfused yet?  LOL

Even better, have we talked you out of trying to do acrobatics in scale.  The biggest gamble I make is reducing power while flying at 45 degrees.  Only with a lot of aileron offset can I get away with doing it.  That is on a profile Cessna 152 with 65 inch WS and an OS 60 black head up front at 8 Lbs.  Model started out as a SIG RC kit.

I converted it to C/L in 1982.  It was my first model to utilize U/Tronics Controls for  Throttle, Flaps and Brakes.
Clancy

Clancy Arnold
U/Tronics Control

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2008, 03:24:46 PM »
Clancy,
I want to use brakes on the two Tri-Pacers I'm starting - what brand do you recommend?  (One "Tripe" for sport scale and one for FAI)
Thanks,
Will

Chris,
In the case of the Pawnee, elevator truly was "elevating"!  (No music, though.)

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Maintaining line tension.
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2008, 08:42:32 AM »
Things like engine offset, ailerons, rudder, line rake, and trim tabs work OK some of the time - usually when you don't really need them.

But The Big Kahuna - tip weight - never sleeps.

Paul Smith

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2008, 06:21:01 PM »
Will
The brakes that I have on the Cessna 152 and also on my P-38 are DuBro units.  I do not know if they are still available.  They have a coil of wire around a drum.  The drum is keyed into the wheel hubs.  A servo pulls the coil tight on the drum stopping the model.  I bought mine over 25 years ago.  I have one on the nose wheel on the 152 and one on each of the main wheels on the P-38.  My C-7a Caribou had dual wheels on the nose and I had a "V" shaped plate that was pulled against the rear inside of the two wheels, almost out of sight.
Clancy
Clancy Arnold
U/Tronics Control

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2008, 07:26:52 PM »
Thanks Clancy,
I even had a set of those DuBros way-back-when, but they're loooong gone now.  Maybe I'll have to jerry rig something for these.
Light winds,
Will

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2008, 03:36:27 PM »
I think Rocket City used to make a brake. But of course Rocket City is no more.  By the way they were located in Huntsville Alabama.  Rick Chambers, one of the owners sons, still runs a hobby shop in Huntsville Alabama.  You might give him a call at 256 539-1347 to see if he has some old stock.
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2008, 05:34:24 PM »
Thanks John!
I'll give him a call this weekend.

Will