News:

• May 01, 2024, 07:22:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Putting my Scale Models on a diet  (Read 457 times)

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • I am 5 Ft. 8 In., the Taube is 7 Ft. 4 In.
Putting my Scale Models on a diet
« on: June 12, 2010, 07:23:05 PM »
I a putting my CL Scale models and playing around models that have electronic throttle control on a diet.

Up until now my standard flight pack has been the traditional 4 AA NiCad battery pack that weigh 3.2 ounces and provides around 600 mAh of electric power.

Now I am changing all of my models to 4 AAA NiMH battery pack that weighs 1.3 ounces and provides 1,000 mAh of electric power.

This give me an almost 2 ounce reduction in weight and a 60 % increase in electric power.  That means more flights before needing to recharge the batteries.

For example this has reduced the weight of the Somebodys Original from 42.2 ounces to 40.3 ounces for a 4.5 % weight reduction.  Not a lot but every little bit helps.
Clancy
Clancy Arnold
Indianapolis, IN   AMA 12560 LM-S
U/Tronics Control
U/Control with electronics added.

Offline Michael Boucher

• Captain
Re: Putting my Scale Models on a diet
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2010, 03:57:56 PM »
Has anyone done a multi motor scale electric powered model yet?   ???
AMA 59633

Online chuck snyder

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2010, 06:28:13 AM »
Michael,
Charlie Bauer's Constellation as seen in Bill Boss' last Model Aviation column is electric

Offline Michael Boucher

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2010, 06:47:24 AM »
Thanks Chuck H^^
AMA 59633

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
  • I am 5 Ft. 8 In., the Taube is 7 Ft. 4 In.
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2010, 09:18:41 PM »
Mike
Everyone talks about how reliable an worry free electrics are but at the NATS last year we had to down grade Charlie's flight on the Connie because he lost one engine in flight.

The battery connector came loose.

Clancy
Clancy Arnold
Indianapolis, IN   AMA 12560 LM-S
U/Tronics Control
U/Control with electronics added.

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2010, 06:21:57 AM »
Mike
Everyone talks about how reliable an worry free electrics are but at the NATS last year we had to down grade Charlie's flight on the Connie because he lost one engine in flight.

The battery connector came loose.

Clancy

I have been in electronics all my life.  The # 1 failure I observed was a no connect: bad connector, broken wire, bad solder joint, etc.  The # 2 failure was failed power source: dead battery, burnt out supply, etc.  Having said all that I have work on a plated wire memory that has thousands of wires and solder joints for use on the Voyager satellite. Launched into deep space and as far as I know still works.  The point is reliability is what you make it. And the fact is electric motors are less affected by altitude, temperature, and humidity.  Apply power and they usually will run the same every time. As an example the model of the Spruce Goose in the Howered Hughes movie was all electric.  To keep 8 motors running on demand for filming required the reliability of electric.

Having said all that I still fly nitre burners.  But is is a matter of cost.  I have all of the nitro support equipment and a collection of good engines.  It does cost a little to get into electric the first time.  But every time My nitro burner quits in the middle of a taxi lap I long for a well designed - well constructed electric setup.

PS The electric model is clean at the end of a flight!
 D>K
John Rist
AMA 56277

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here