News:

• April 28, 2024, 12:32:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Proctor Jenny  (Read 15292 times)

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Re: Proctor Jenny
« Reply #150 on: June 01, 2010, 11:25:05 AM »
John
It was a pleasure to judge, I have always had a soft spot for scale. I keep threatening to build one of several airplanes I have in mind, but then, who would be left to judge lol.
Glad you enjoyed your time in Eugene. I wish I could say that you worked diligently to fight it out for first place in sport scale, winning by grit and pulling out the few points in the last minute, but, well,, it wouldnt be true, you were very well prepared, presented your model and documentation well, and frankly, it was pretty much an easy choice. The other entries were interesting, one gentleman had  low static scores, but flew his models well, the other had high static scores but had some flight issues sadly, but, no broken models,,

Again, look forward to your additional details on the Jenny, enjoy this great model. ( Oh and I PROMISE Pat and I never ever got closer than 15 feet to judge it,, or uh,, ok so AFTER we judged it we did, but thats ok right?)
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline John Witt

• Captain
« Reply #151 on: June 02, 2010, 12:48:43 PM »
Pictures and meet report at:

http://flyinglines.org/nwregionals.10.html

JW
John Witt
AMA 19892
Edmonds, WA
"Houston, Tranquillity Base here. The Eagle has landed."

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #152 on: June 03, 2010, 09:57:17 AM »
John, you can be very proud of your accomplishment.  The pictures of your Jenny really make it a stand out.  Are you going to the NATS with it?  Congradualations on the win. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #153 on: June 03, 2010, 10:26:28 AM »
I wanted to add, as for the flight, there was a light breeze in the morning, Pat and I talked with John ( read that as arm twisting lol) to add high flight to his manuever list, mostly cause we wanted to see it fly over our heads,, what a totally romantic sight that Jenny made flying overhead with the sun shining through the fabric, all the ribs highlighted,, it was cool. The other thing about watching it fly, it was very scale like in that the breeze would gently rock the wings as it flew. John flew it at a very convincing speed, I think he said it was less than half throttle. GOOD choice
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline John Witt

• Captain
« Reply #154 on: June 03, 2010, 11:01:25 AM »
Thanks for the kind comments. The Nats are probably not in the picture, as I can't afford the vacation time (at least right now) -- maybe next year. It takes 3 days to get there each way (2600 miles), plus the four days of the event and roughly $1K for fuel and hotels. And the wind blows in Indiana...

John W
John Witt
AMA 19892
Edmonds, WA

Kim Doherty

« Reply #155 on: June 03, 2010, 03:07:25 PM »
John,

A stunning model, beautifully built, a well deserved contest result. Incredibly impressed!

Kim.

Offline Michael Boucher

• Captain
« Reply #156 on: October 08, 2010, 11:36:21 AM »
Hi John, Beautiful model of a classic plane, outstanding. I was wondering what size bellcrank did you use of this mod el?  Thanks, Mike   #^
AMA 59633

Offline John Witt

• Captain
« Reply #157 on: October 11, 2010, 09:58:13 AM »
Thanks for the compliment, Michael

The bell crank is scratch built from two pieces of circuit board material. C-C on the leadouts is 3 1/2 - 4 inches, don't remember which at this instant. Pictures at Page 1, reply #35 and #48.

The leadout cables are reinforced with 3/32 copper tube which is wrapped around Delrin discs. Each disc has a short 4-40 screw as an axle.  8-32 screw for the bell crank axle mounted in 1/4 6-ply plywood

The hard part of this was figuring out how to feed the bell crank loads into the fuselage longerons. The pull test load is 50 lbs. The spruce crosspieces are backed up with 3/16 square carbon fiber tubes.  The whole thing has worked well so far and is very free.

Regards,

John

John Witt
AMA 19892
Edmonds, WA

Offline Dennis Saydak

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #158 on: November 22, 2010, 03:17:44 PM »
John, here's an optional maneuver that you may want to practise with your Jenny.  %^@ ;D ;D

http://www.oshkosh365.org/ok365_DiscussionBoardTopic.aspx?id=1235&boardid=147&forumid=180&topicid=5584
Just when you think you're getting ahead in the rat race.....you find the rats just get faster! MAAC 13120L

Offline John Witt

• Captain
« Reply #159 on: November 23, 2010, 07:23:06 PM »
That's pretty cool to see.  Don't think I can get a little robot to do that, but it would be fun to have two Jennys going around together!!

Thanks,

John
John Witt
AMA 19892
Edmonds, WA

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here