News:

• May 09, 2024, 08:09:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Giant Scale??  (Read 910 times)

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • I am 5 Ft. 8 In., the Taube is 7 Ft. 4 In.
Giant Scale??
« on: November 22, 2010, 02:21:50 PM »
I just got the word.  IMAA says a monoplane model over 80 inch Wing span or a biplane over 60 inch wing span qualify as Giant Scale.

That makes Dick Byron's B-24, John Witt's Jenny and my Jeannin Stahltaube all Giant Scale.

Anyone else have a model that qualifies?  Sorry G-Man, your SDR is not a Scale Model. LOL
Clancy

Clancy Arnold
Indianapolis, IN   AMA 12560 LM-S
U/Tronics Control
U/Control with electronics added.

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Giant Scale??
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2010, 09:48:46 AM »
Does an 80" Eindecker qualify?  Almost I guess because right now it is waiting a major rebuild.   LL~
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Paul Wood

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2010, 03:59:49 PM »
The other qualifier is true 1/4 scale or larger.  So yes, the Eindecker will qualify if at least 1/4 scale of the original, regardless of the model's wing span.  A good example is the Shoestring.  Quarter scale model only has a wingspan around 60 inches, but it's giant scale legal.

Paul

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2010, 04:41:31 PM »
By the way -  what does giant scale have to do with Control Line Scale?  I thought Giant scale was an RC term.

???  ???  ???
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2010, 06:40:16 PM »
John
Short answer. Nothing! 
Long answer.  Not much but it is interesting that some CL Scale models are big enough to qualify.  I assumed that they had to be much larger than the stated requirements.  I had heard the 1/4 scale requirement but thought it was a mandatory requirement until I read a post on an RC Forum that his model that is smaller than mine, of the same plane I just built, was Giant Scale.

The idea of converting a RC Giant Scale kit model to Control Line opens up more planes to consider for your next build.  The larger model is also easier to detail.
Clancy
Clancy Arnold
U/Tronics Control

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2010, 08:28:19 PM »
For some reason I have stuck with bigger scale models. All were converted RC models.  The biggest problem that I have is the larger airplanes need more room to fly right.  My first shot at the Nationals was a converted RC Extra 300S with an OS max 55.  It simply would not land smoothly.  I converted it back to an RC and it lands great!  As an RC it has a 100 yards to set up a glide and the wind is not changing directions.  My current project is a Brodak La-5 profile.  Bet it flies great and lands great.  It will be light and is designed for Control line.  Also remember we have a 20 lb and 1.25 CI limit.   Oddly enough their isn't a limit on electric size.  Bet that rule was written before the current crop of electrics came on the market.  Hobby King has a 6000 W electric equivlent to a 50 CC gas burner.

Anyway big is fun but too big doesn't fit the circle and fly well. Especially on a windy day.

H^^
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2010, 06:46:12 AM »
John
You point out something that most modelers would not think of, Landing in a continuously changing wind direction.
I think the "fix" is to move the CG forward on CL models.  I moved the CG forward on the Taube 1 1/2 inches from 33% of root cord to 20% of root cord.  Now  we have to wait for decent weather to test fly in to see if that was the correct adjustment.

The change required a 6 oz block of lead under the front of the OS FS91 engine.  That brought the total weight to 9 1/4 lbs or 14.22 oz per sq ft wing loading.
Still should be a floater.
Clancy
Clancy Arnold
U/Tronics Control

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2010, 10:29:14 AM »
1/4 Scale is a group of scale RC people/group/organization.  Giant Scale is another group.  Two distinct groups.  I remember a distinguished RC Scale modeler that was asked to speed at a 1/4 Scale Banquet.  He brought his newest plane that the name eludes me now.  It was a biplane with only a 48 inch wingspan and was enclosed single seat design.   H^^

Thanks to a fellow modeler, I need to proof read a little better.  It is either the keyboard,  my fingers or the brain that keeps messing up.  I meant to say "speak" at the banquet.   Hope you all will forgive me.  Just think if I started getting senile.   HB~>
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 08:53:15 AM by john e. holliday »
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here