News:

• May 02, 2024, 01:51:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Policing the BOM in scale...  (Read 2697 times)

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Policing the BOM in scale...
« on: March 26, 2008, 05:57:59 AM »
We discussed Dick's issue at our club meeting.  There was quiet a bit of difference of opinion about how far an Event Direstor should go to enforce this rule.

My opinion is that an official should ALWAYS do everything in his power to enforce all the rules all the time.

To my surprize, there were some (licenced Cd's) who took the attitude of letting things slide and only waiting for a contestant to file a protest.

Some felt that if a contestant signs a sworn statement that he built a model, the ED doesn't dare (effectively) call him a liar.  Furthermore, the rules don't empower the ED to do so.

On the local level, we pretty much know who can build what, so if a low grade builder shows up with a masterpiece model of looks fishy.  But if a traveler shows up, who knows?

What do you think?

--------------------------------

Maybe a good future idea would be to add "evidence of construction" to the documentation book.  Such as in-process photos at the contestant's home.

Paul Smith

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Policing the BOM in scale...
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 08:10:06 AM »
Being a CD I to figure if they sign the declaration that the model was built and preflown by the contestant I say all is cosher until someone files a protest.  Those that bend the rules need to be stopped, but, the CD can't do it by him/her self.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 09:27:05 AM »
Doc,

Thanks for the input.

In this particular issue it's not a question of mere "bending".  Either the contestant built the model or somebody else did.   This is quite bit different from combat & stunt.

------------------------

I'm of the opinion that when the ED collects the entry fee, suspects a violation, lets the guy fly anyway, and leaves it to the "losers" to protest, he's guilty of shirking his responsibility.

It's not just the static points.  With no model there would be no flying points.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 11:40:29 AM by ama21835 »
Paul Smith

Offline Dick Byron

• Vendor
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 10:16:43 AM »
I am still working on the letter. I did talk to Marv Denny and he knows the full story. In all other events where the BOM is in the book. There is a small impact to the outcome. In stunt you must fly to win. The appearance points can make a big difference at the nation level. It is my feeling that when you travel 1,000's of miles and spend $1,000's of dollars you should be able to expect the people you are competing with have followed the rules and built their own model.
   It is not only the contestant who is guilty it is the people that know they are cheating and let it slide. Those people are just as guilty.
   I made the mistake of not confronting the first cheater 13 years ago.

Offline L0U CRANE

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2008, 01:28:06 AM »
Paul,

To your Reply #2: In courts of law, Judges don't have arrest power. That's as it should be. Even in cases of contempt of court, a judge refers any arrest involved to sworn officers of the peace - cops, in other words. ...and the judge is the complaining citizen who reports the act and lodges the charges...

That is how it should be. Witch trials in New England a few hundred years back were examples of combining cop/judge/jury/executioner. That's NOT our way of doing things.

The person offended against is the proper one to raise charges. Only sworn police officers, trained to recognize criminal behavior against the community they are sworn to "protect, preserve and defend," have legal authority to arrest offenders in cases where the cop is not the direct 'victim' of the action.

So, in this thread, whether judges or other officials suspect, or know for sure, that evading the principles of the BOM happened, they are not the ones who need to initiate action. The officials are not "wronged" by the cheater; the other contestants are. It comes down to the basic question, the thing that makes con games so hard to prosecute: IS there an offense if the victim can't be bothered to report it to those who CAN act on the complaint?

Beyond the matter of arbitrarily declaring an entry ineligible, judges and officials can only act in response to the other competitors' requests. If these victims can't be bothered to request a ruling based on their certain knowledge of cheating, I'd find it hard to accept a "hanging Judge" jumping in and pre-empting the protest process. Which is worse? - Clear indication of bias on the part of the judges?...Or competitors who choose to keep silent about evident twisting of the principles and details of the rules?

A "competitor" willing to cheat, as we're discussing here, would probably also be willing to smear the event, the officials, the other competitors, and our hobby itself in as public a way as possible out of spite.  ...For being - not caught unless there is clear proof - slandered/libelled/dissed/ disgraced by unproven allegations from "envious and inferior" competitors.

Given all this, I consider cheating unacceptable. On evidence presented to the officials in a protest, an entry can be ruled ineligible to compete. Depending on the rules involved, AMA's (or other rules body's) protest procedures should be followed. That protects the person protested against from unfair and unfounded rulings, as well as protecting the other competitors from being beaten by violations of the rules. A formal protest (if the rules allow for it) is messy, but much better than NOT protesting. Bad-mouthing the event and officials for not doing what can only be done in answer to a protest by another competitor is worse yet. Behind-the-back, whispering attacks are not good for any event's success...
\BEST\LOU

Offline Dick Byron

• Vendor
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2008, 05:01:53 AM »
Lou,
    Your input is very good. You are of course right, it is the contestant that has to file the protest. I should have years ago when I was positive someone was cheating. The letter I posted in the Soapbox portion of Model Aviation did get the offending girl to stop flying completely. It was later learned her brother admitted to Steve Ashby he had in fact built the model she flew, while he was under the influence of a few beers.
  The actual reason she flew and was put on one of the FAI scale teams is she wanted to be an astronaut and her family thought it would look good on her resume if she had some achievements to brag about.
  How nice that would have been a cheater trying to figure out all an astronaut has to. "Oops I missed that day in class"
  I will get the letter posted to my web sight this week end.

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2008, 05:35:44 AM »
It's a common fallicy to compare sports judging to courts of law. 

The difference is simple.  To excute, fine or imprison somebody, you need due process.

When you decide to play baseball, you agree to let the umpire call balls and strikes with no recourse.  No due process, the judge's decision is final.

We have many contestants who want to be nice guys, gentlemen, and sportsmen.  These men feel that it is unbecoming to protest.

We have some officials who want to maximize entries, be nice guys, and avoid confrontation.  They don't enforce the rules, but rather let things slide and wait for the contestants to protest.

These two facts leave a big crack for the person who wants to exploit them.

-----------------------------------------
The concept of "challenging the officials" can be seen on any basketball or hockey game.  It's easy to see how people can watch these games and get the idea that, to win, you cheat as much as the officials let you.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 12:52:55 PM by ama21835 »
Paul Smith

Offline Dick Byron

• Vendor
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2008, 06:55:20 AM »
The ethics letter is posted. www.dickbyron.com/dickbyron_082.htm  August 1990 page 138 Model Aviation.

The 3 page letter was just sent to the AMA. 9:24 am 3/27/08
« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 08:24:09 AM by Dick Byron »

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2008, 09:41:15 AM »
"It's a common fallacy to compare sports judging to courts of law.

The difference is simple.  To execute, fine or imprison somebody, you need due process.

When you decide to play baseball, you agree to let the umpire call balls and strikes with no recourse.  No due process, the judge's decision is final."

Hi Paul,

Yes, and no.  An umpire's *judgment call* cannot be protested.  Any *rule violation* can.  The Head of the Umpire crew can be consulted on any call during a baseball game.  If it deals with a rule, it can be overturned by the Head Umpire.  If it is not to your liking, you can announce that you are playing the remainder of the game *under protest* and have an official ruling passed by the governing body.  So, it is very similar to a *Court system*.  Same applies ot football.  After spending 30 plus pretty successful years as a high school coach, I can tell you that you CAN file protests and obtain rulings, just like appealing to a "higher court".
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2008, 07:37:38 AM »
We have a procedure in modelling that would take care of problems as far as breaking rules.  It is called "protests".  The hang up is most people wait until way after an incident to file a protest.  It must be filed immediately with all the pertintent details.  Been thru it as a CD and event director on both local and national level.  If people don't file a protest at the time it's their fault.  Of course you must be a contestant in that event to file a protest.  Like the year a Junior almost won the NATS with a borrowed airplane.  Another Junior had to file the protest, not an open or senior contestant.  My take,  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Dick Byron

• Vendor
  • Captain
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2008, 11:09:41 AM »
Doc,
     You are correct. That is why I have not posted the letter yet. I have had the need to sleep on this for several nights. I did talk with Greg Hahn at AMA HQ and he had a lot of additional cheating problems in scale. It seems that scale is the event where most of the cheating happens. Why I don't know.
   For everyones information I am not filing a protest now. I just feel that exposing the cheaters will do the most good to stop the cheating.
   I only found out about the current cheater at VSC, talking with several people. You can rest assured I will file a protest at this years nats if I find the aircraft in question there. Or should I say both aircraft.

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2008, 12:25:15 PM »
Hopefully this discussion will motive the officials to do their jobs in the first place and not rely on the protest system so much.

And, of course, serve as a warning to those who might want to enter something did not build.

"Mission Accomplished"
Paul Smith

Offline Dick Byron

• Vendor
  • Captain
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2008, 04:55:00 PM »
C/L has fun scale. Like team scale in R/C.

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2008, 07:05:10 PM »
Team Scale is an invention of The Devil.

It allows a master builder to dominate the event throughout his useful life, then bring in a younger pilot so the same model can win for all enternity.

Paul Smith

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2008, 04:57:07 AM »
Some can build, but not fly.  n1 Some can fly, but not build.  n1 Very, very few can do both with elan. LL~ H^^

EXACTLY right !!!!    You need to do BOTH to compete legally in model contests.

Sort of like batting and fielding in baseball (except for another Invention of the Devil, the DH).
Paul Smith

Alan Hahn

« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2008, 06:44:38 AM »
Well actually no, in speed contests you don't have to be the FOM! There the trophy goes to the builder/engine mechanic.

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2008, 04:53:13 PM »
We have a procedure in modelling that would take care of problems as far as breaking rules.  It is called "protests".  The hang up is most people wait until way after an incident to file a protest.  It must be filed immediately with all the pertintent details.  Been thru it as a CD and event director on both local and national level.  If people don't file a protest at the time it's their fault.  Of course you must be a contestant in that event to file a protest.  Like the year a Junior almost won the NATS with a borrowed airplane.  Another Junior had to file the protest, not an open or senior contestant.  My take,  DOC Holliday

Unfortunately the AMA has killed the protest with the $50.00 fee they imposed at the 05 NATS in CLPA. Many do not have that to loose so they will keep their mouth shut. Oh yeah where does the $50.00 go? Who gets paid?

I already feel the entry fee is way too much. What does this go for? The site? Which we already own with our dues and share cropping revenues.To pay for the trophy's? Which there aren't many.

I don't get paid for anything I do in this hobby. The NATS costs me around $1000.00 and up per trip. Should I not expect that If I should protest this would be included with the entry fee? What possible work could be involved?

It's principle to me. This protest fee is nonsense.
AMA 12366

Offline Dick Byron

• Vendor
  • Captain
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2008, 05:42:52 PM »
I actually have come up with the perfect solution. I am going to post in a few days. Cheating is just unacceptable and must be stopped. My plan should work. H^^

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2008, 07:45:56 AM »
I hear you Sparky, but the people that work at the AMA HQ are not volunteers, but paid workers.  They get paid, and it has to be a competitve amount, or no one will work there.  Plus some benefits. H^^ D>K

Hi Ty,

I don't believe the protest fee has anything to do with salaries........  I agree with Sparky.   The entry is too high and the protest fee is ridiculous.  I am beginning to believe the conspiracy theory that the AMA just might want to get rid of us *poor* C/L fliers.  Maybe they feel that we fly C/L instead of R/C because of the expense. ???  And we just don't belong in their country club.  Raising the fees might be, in their eyes, a detriment to us.  While the cost of EVERYTHING has risen dramatically, it is harder and harder to spend a week in Indiana for the NATS.

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline L0U CRANE

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2008, 12:13:47 PM »
Particularly a thought for Paul...

There are times, places and ways to do just about anything (safe) at an AMA contest. As long as it is recognizable as a good idea, not intended to hurt competition placings, understood by everyone it affects, and accepted by them all. (It is still best to spell out all variations from the written rules ahead of time...)

The best example I recall was an exception made for a fast-improving young stunt flier. He was allowed to enter a Classic event with a post-Classic model. The kicker that made it acceptable was that he agreed, as did all the other Classic entrants, that he was flying to see what kind of score he'd get, but that his flight would not be considered for place in the event. He flew well, and his score did not 'bump' anyone in the final event placing.

He was glad of an opportunity to fly before judges to see how he did. The other fliers congratulated him on the quality of his flight. In these, narrow, one-time and accepted conditions, he was encouraged to keep at it. He did.
\BEST\LOU

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
Protests
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2008, 12:54:20 PM »
Provisions are in the rulebook to submit a protest at a contest if an individual feels that there is some action or decision that is improper.  The protest procedures are in the rulebook for very good reasons.  If an individual feels that something improper has occurred, that individual has the right to file a protest to correct what is believed to be improper.  At the Nationals, I understand that there is a fee to be submitted with the protest.  If the protest is upheld, the fee is returned.  If the protest is not upheld, the fee is kept by the AMA.  It makes sense that there are provision for protests.  It also makes sense that there are provisions that would discourage any frivolous protests that could be submitted only to disrupt the conduct of a contest as was threatened by a certain contingent several years ago.  It seems we reap what we sow.

Keith

(edit for typos)

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
CLPA Nats Entry Fee
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2008, 01:03:56 PM »
Sort of off topic, but there has been some comments here about why there are additional fees to enter the Nats CLPA event.

Perhaps some do not realize that there is a small reimbursement provided to judges and other officials that volunteer their time at the Nats.  One individual stated that it cost him about $1,000 to compete in the Nats.  I wonder if it ever occurred to him that the judges and other officials who volunteer their time might also have similar expenses, more or less based on distance traveled and time stayed at the Nats.  The reimbursements provided fall far short of covering the expenses of these volunteers, but it at least takes some of the sting out of spending a good part of a week in the sun coupled with the travel, lodging and food expenses.  It does help in getting "volunteers".  Think about it.

Keith

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2008, 12:01:09 PM »
Hi Keith,

I would never argue compensation for the Officials of the event in this day and time.  Expenses are very high for anyone attending a meet far from home which eats up over a week of time away from home, job, etc..

I can tell you this, I would take several of the jobs at AMA for a lot less money than is being paid now! LL~

As for judges, I commend them!  I refuse to judge at local contests.  That's just me.  I am expected to do so, so I guess many of my contest days are over.  If I have to judge to fly and feel welcome, I will take up something else, something that I can enjoy without having to spend a large portion of my time away from home doing something I detest.

I know there are MANY who will say, "You are wrong, you should be HAPPY to give back to the event by judging".  Well that is the person's opinion.  I didn't get into flying CLPA and building models to judge.  I abhor doing it, detest doing it, did I say I HATE DOING IT??  And I won't......

There are many of my friends that I wouldn't mind judging, since they know I will do the best I can, but it is the select few who would case me to probably spend a night in jail....... at my age, I know what I will and won't do, and what will cause me to go off.  If it is possibly going to cause a problem, I ain't gonna do it!

Bill Little
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2008, 12:49:56 PM »
Just a thought, but has anyone actually asked the AMA president why the high fees?   Could it be that they don't want to use any existing money to support the Nats, but support it, all phases, with the entrance fees??  That's how I would do it, and keep the  treasury full.  Perceptions ya know.  Bean counters are not modelers, so I was looking at it from "their point of view. I don't like it, but there it is. D>K

Considering the facilities available at Muncie, which include grass mowing, PA systems, and other things that cost local clubs money, the price of the NATS is OK.

Remember, CLPA prices are set by PAMPA, not AMA, and they are a lot higher than regular AMA CL events, or lounge acts run by other SIG's.
Paul Smith

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2008, 03:37:38 PM »
I don't know how this got off course, but, maybe it should be taken up in another forum.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2008, 12:48:49 PM »
You are correct Doc.

In CLPA we rely on the integrity of the pilot, at the NATS, to be the BOM.  WE do not require anything, really, to prove it.  I understand Scale events are the same way.  You simply *say* (or it is understood) that you built the model.  Unfortunately, with the way things have gone in Society as a whole, simply *saying* anything is open to conjecture.   People can whole heartedly *believe* they are with in the rules.  We are seeing that there are misconceptions (fostered by contestants) and other problems with this honor system.  Although we may not want to admit it, it is so. 

Bill Little
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Dick Byron

• Vendor
  • Captain
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2008, 02:03:38 PM »
Bill,
   Today I send an e mail to the AMA technical Director Greg Hahn with copies to the President and exec. I have received an answer that this specific problem is also common in free flight as well as R/C scale. It is going to be discussed in 2 weeks. I hope we can get a definition of builder in at least scale.
   I must say one thing. I don't want any an advantage, all I want is for everyone to follow the rules. The outcome then will be fair to all. I do think now that the offending person thought he was legal at the time. I hope the AMA can inform all of us what is correct.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2008, 12:09:38 PM »
Bill,
   Today I send an e mail to the AMA technical Director Greg Hahn with copies to the President and exec. I have received an answer that this specific problem is also common in free flight as well as R/C scale. It is going to be discussed in 2 weeks. I hope we can get a definition of builder in at least scale.
   I must say one thing. I don't want any an advantage, all I want is for everyone to follow the rules. The outcome then will be fair to all. I do think now that the offending person thought he was legal at the time. I hope the AMA can inform all of us what is correct.

Hi Dick,

The *ruling* on the rules, and possible alterations, will, indeed, be interesting to see! y1

When I was younger us guys built our own models (usually from Sterling, Goldberg, Midwest, or Berkeley kits) from start to finish!  We learned out to get them pretty straight, and decent looking.  Mostly only hand tools and a hand twist drill.  And brush painting only.....  We would have NEVER considered going to a contest and flying someone else's model.  That just wouldn't have been *right*.  Many years later, I am told at a NATS that 51% qualified as BOM.  Being naive I took it as gospel.  Didn't *sound right* but who was I?? LL~ LL~

I understand that all you want is a level playing field.  That is my intentions also.  I want to see the *MODELER* who can build AND fly since that is what model airplanes is all about, at least to me. 

BTW:  I have two scale planes under construction! (just don't laugh when you see them, I'm a rookie in this league. ;D )
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Dick Byron

• Vendor
  • Captain
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2008, 04:49:21 PM »
Bill,
   I was a rookie too.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here