News:

• April 27, 2024, 12:25:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: painting  (Read 840 times)

Offline roger

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
painting
« on: July 25, 2011, 07:40:50 AM »
ty. a club member from your group said to ask you about preparing bare balsa  for latex paint, he said you do it also finiising after painting
thanx
roger H^^

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
Re: painting
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 04:20:51 PM »
Latex house paint makes great paint for models, I fiberglass my models then paint them with Latex exterior grade latex house paint, then put a clear coat, then decals, then a final coat of clear.

Now that I am flying with electric I don't need the fuel proof clear coat, any clear coat will work with electric models.

The paint is easy to use, clean up and you can get it mixed to any color locally (lowes, home depot, sherwin williams, etc..).

checkout this link for an article on how to paint with latex paints, the RC guys who fly with the large gas engines have been using these paints for quite a while.

http://www.houstonhobbies.com/tips/painting/latex/spraying-latex.pdf

Good luck.

Fred Cronenwett
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 04:41:28 AM by Fred Cronenwett »
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale
Model Aviation CL Scale columnist

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 09:54:30 PM »
From the paint section:

Posthole_digger
Ensign

Re: Floetrol - Latex Paint
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 10:49:42 AM » Quote 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Go to this site and down the left side for painting with latex.

http://www.vaillyaviation.com/Intro.html

Paul
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2011, 09:33:25 AM »
I am getting my Great Planes RV-4 done and will be painting the model with latex house paint. I just got done doing a paint sample with Sherwin-williams exterior grade latex house paint (flat) and sprayed it with the airgun. I set the gun to 20 psi with a regulator and followed all of the recommendations in the article above. The sample came out fantastic and it was easy to do. With the availablity of lots of paint stores that can mix paint to any color this makes the job of matching a color really easy. You do need a compresor, air gun, regulator, water trap

My sample was a fiberglassed piece of plywood with primer on one side and no primer on the other side. It worked great and the paint was dry in less than 5 minutes due to the heat wave we having right now. based upon the sample I just did I don't need the primer, just like the article said.

another tip I got from a friend finishing up a CL scale model for the clear coat he is using this product. Now it's only good for electric models since this would be fuel proof. Both my model and my friends are electric power.

http://www.floorcareproducts.com/floor-finish/index.asp

Land softly,
Fred Cronenwett
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2011, 05:25:26 PM »

another tip I got from a friend finishing up a CL scale model for the clear coat he is using this product. Now it's only good for electric models since this would be fuel proof. Both my model and my friends are electric power.

http://www.floorcareproducts.com/floor-finish/index.asp

Land softly,
Fred Cronenwett

I have been dreading spraying a clear coat on my Latex painted LA-5.  But the raw latex paint showes every speck of dirt and hand print (painted winter white camo).  Applying a coat of Pledge may be the easy answer for a surface that can be wiped clean.  Thanks for the tip Fred.
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2011, 05:45:59 PM »
Make sure the surfaces are flat, I have been told that the clear will run easily and it is shot with the airgun directly has you buy it. You don't have to mix it at all or thin the stuff. I will be using a paint stand so I can get the surfaces flat. Grant also told me that he had to do three coats. I haven't tried it yet, but will be trying it later this week.

Is the LA-5 powered with glow fuel? if so then this stuff may not be fuel proof.

Fred
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2011, 12:51:56 AM »
The LA-5 is electric.  Wounder if you can apply it as a hand rubbed finished with a cloth?
John Rist
AMA 56277

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here