News:

• May 02, 2024, 04:07:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: P-39 Cobra  (Read 977 times)

Offline John KruziK

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
P-39 Cobra
« on: November 18, 2007, 07:48:21 PM »
I was looking for pics of p-39 racer from 1946 Cleavland air races.Cobra 1 or 2 . Looking for color schemes sponsors etc. Thanks John
AMA 874027

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
Re: P-39 Cobra
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2007, 12:35:04 AM »
Try warbirdaeropress.com in the photo gallery section.
Chris...

Offline Bob Heywood

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2007, 06:44:19 PM »
John,

Cobra I was red w/ black trim. Cobra II was yellow w/ black trim. The "Bell" logo on the door was standard Bell red with a black shadow. Color pictures from the era do exist but are rare. A color print of each plane is shown in the color gallery section of Birch Matthews' excellent book COBRA!. It's available from Schiffer books, http://www.schifferbooks.com/newschiffer/book_template.php?isbn=0887409113. Not exactly cheap but well worth the price. There is a chapter devoted to the Cobra racers. Also, Accurate Miniatures has a 1/48 plastic kit with decals for both planes, http://www.squadron.com/ItemDetails.asp?item=AJ480408.

Cobra II won the 1946 Thompson Trophy flown by Tex Johnston. Unfortunately, Cobra I crashed into Lake Ontario killing pilot Jack Woolams. Woolams had returned to the Bell factory at Buffalo for an engine swap and was wringing out the new engine when he crashed.

Bob Heywood
Dayton, OH
« Last Edit: November 19, 2007, 07:01:33 PM by Bob Heywood »
"Clockwise Forever..."

Offline John KruziK

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2007, 07:23:16 PM »
I knew this was the right place to ask. Thanks for info John
AMA 874027

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2007, 07:28:37 PM »
Cobra II was later sold and flown by Chuck Brown to top qualifying speed of 418 at the 1948 Thompson.
It had the engine quit on the last lap due to vapor lock.
It was belly landed on the flight home to Indianapolis and sat in a hangar until bought by Ed Maloney in 1960. It was sold to Mike Carroll in 1967 and crashed on it's maiden flight after being further modified into a clipped wing pylon racer/World Speed Record contender.

Here are some pics from 1946, the one with the missing paint is after the 45 minute Thompson race where the lacquer was chipped off inflight. They are available from Warbird Aero Press on CD.

Keith Davidson is the proprietor of Red Pegasus Decals. he makes decals for Cobra I and II in the 1946 scheme. He has scaled up some of his offerings for me in the past. Check him out at redpegasusdecals.com.

Chris...

Offline Bob Heywood

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2007, 02:56:25 PM »
If you are interested in "Reading More About It" look for September Champions and A Season of Eagles, by Robert Hull. Both books give a vivid, intimate historical account of the Cleveland National Air Races. Tex Johnston's life story, TEX JOHNSTON, Jet Age Test Pilot is also a good read. Unfortunately these books are no longer in print, but I wouldn't be surprised if used copies surface from time to time.

And...Historic Aviation sells video copies of the Kendall Oil films fron the 1947; http://www.historicaviation.com/historicaviation/product_info.po?ID=570&product=Videos&category=flying&subcategory=Airshows and 1948;http://www.historicaviation.com/historicaviation/product_info.po?ID=1985&product=Videos&category=flying&subcategory=Airshows races. They're old films and need to be seen in that light but the action is there. Brown was not a happy camper.

Bob Heywood
"Clockwise Forever..."

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here