News:

• April 27, 2024, 04:34:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Orin and his NATS  (Read 1113 times)

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Orin and his NATS
« on: November 27, 2023, 08:12:29 PM »
Just came from Flying Lines site aand reading Orin Humphries trip to the NATS.  Over 2,000 miles one way is a trip.  His exsperience getting ready and what happened once there.   I vaguely remember meeting him at the Lincoln NE. NATS.  it is well worht the read in my opinion.  Thanks Orin for the write up. H^^ D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
Re: Orin and his NATS
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2023, 07:59:34 PM »
I originally met Orin when I attended the NW Regionals back in in 1999 time frame. Evey Nats is different depending upon how your airplanes work or don't work. I will read his Flying Lines write-up, driving 2,000 miles is a long drive to get to the Nat's or any contest. The longest I have driven is from St Louis to the Carmicheals PA for the NASA CLassic.

Fred
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale
Model Aviation CL Scale columnist

Offline Pete Bauer

• Ensign
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2023, 06:57:38 AM »
Here is link to Orin's writeup
http://www.flyinglines.org/orin.23.nats.html

Offline Gary Dowler

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2024, 02:37:32 AM »
Known him since 1976. He was my middle school science teacher, and he had a model airplane club at Libby Jr High.  That's where I got my start.  Yeah, driving 2400 miles is quite a commitment!  Its most unfortunate that the F-84 he spent 9 years building for authentic scale, which would have been at that contest, was destroyed in a practice flight.  The level of scale detail was phenomenal.

Gary
Profanity is the crutch of the illiterate mind

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2024, 07:04:51 AM »
Test flights are always nerve racking. I approach the 1st flight very carefully just like the full size guys do

1a) engine runs in the test stand & verify CG location
1b) line guide location - hang the model from the leadouts and verify I have positive line rake
2) slow taxi test - looking for any ground control issues like turning in towards me
3) fast taxi test - continue to look for turning in towards me
4) High speed run - almost at flight speed. get the tailwheel off the ground
5) low level flight - with enough power to lift off just a few feet evaluate the elevator control (too sensitive and cg location)
6) full power flight - throttle up to flight speed and take it up

I do not ramp the throttle up to full power and just release and hope for the best. The taxi test and low level flight will show a lot of problems without risking the model. I was flying a friends brodak Bearcat and when I got the model a few feet off the ground it was CG unstable, I had to lock my hand, throttled back and knocked one gear door but the model survived. We added nose weight and all was good.

Fred
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale
Model Aviation CL Scale columnist

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here