News:

• May 08, 2024, 05:30:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New scale plane, slow build,,,  (Read 681 times)

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
New scale plane, slow build,,,
« on: January 30, 2008, 03:10:49 PM »
I started this build about Dec 5, 2007.  As of today, I don't see the light at the end of tunnel.  It's also dark back where I got into it.

This is (at an advanced age) my first pass at full-body sport/fun/F4b model.

This is a very modualr build, with the major sub-assemblies kept seperate until the last possible moment.  The modules are: wing, landing gear, fuselage, control system, engine, tailplane, fin, rudder, and cockpit.

The 5th photo shows the test-fit of an OS LA 25, which ultimately went back to the engine bin.

Paul Smith

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: New scale plane, slow build,,,
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2008, 10:35:04 AM »
I had an engine showdown and weighin.  Decided the model was running bigger and heavier than I first thought.  So I changed from an LA25 to an H40.  Still a downsize from the original Fox .59.

I was able to make decals (60% of the time) according to Richard Oliver's article in CLW.  There's quite a bit of operator finnesse involved with the clear-coating step, and I'm successful 3-out-of-5.

I brushed the clear, yellow, and white, then pulled the trigger on a spray system for the red, white, blue, black and final clear.  Worked pretty well on the first pass.

The final hurdle is vaccume forming the canopy.  I don't have a satisfactory result at this time.  Fortunately, I made the cockpit module removable, so it dosn't hinder progress too much.
Paul Smith

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2008, 01:49:14 PM »
Hi Paul,

I would suggest contacting Bill Sawyer for molding a canopy.   Send him the mold and you get a VERY nice canopy back. y1
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2008, 04:29:25 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion.  I may have to "outsource" the canopy.  But I'll take few shots at it first.

This is a lot harder than a free-style or sorts-scale stunter.  On one of those, you can fiddle with the canopy, airplane, or both to make 'em fit pretty.  On a scale plane you need a good fit AND also true scale fidelity. 

It would help more if I could find some actual three-views of the subject.  It's a Consolidated PB-2A, of while 50 were built in 1935 and the last one disappeared in 1942.   Right now, I'm working from a Walter Musciano model plan, some photos, airwork, and a well-done display model.

Our club photographer, Steve Kanyusik, came up with some of his own UNPUBLISHED photos taken in 1937.

Note the rudder on #3, the yellow/flag line is well into moving rudder.  This contrary to the way almost everybody paints their models.  It's supposed to be at the HINGE LINE, so with offset hinges, it's well into the rudder.
Paul Smith

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2008, 09:21:20 PM »
PB-2A progress to date.  How I got to this point.

1. I met Walter Musciano at the logger at the Kalamazoo Air Zoo in September 2006.  He offered to provide, to the best of his ability, plans to whatever he designed, and that’s a lot.

2. I won the March 1952 Air Trails magazine as a door prize at a Cloudbusters Meeting.  It included a construction article on the Consolidated PB-2A by Walter Musciano.

3. I asked Walt for plans to this plane and a few others, and he delivered, as promised.

4. I found from the history and markings that this plane had been based at Selfridge Army Air Field, where I worked as a volunteer in the museum, and the late, great Ed Stoll was librarian of the achives.  Ed helped me find some unique one-of-a-kind photos.

5.  I read the decal making article by Richard Oliver in Control line World.  Thus far, I’ve had a 3 of 5 success rate with decal making, 60% to the good.

6.  I read an air brushing series by Al Rabe on Stuka Stunt and decided I couldn’t get where I needed to be with MonoKote and acid brushes.  So I pulled the trigger on a spray system and got instant gratification.

7.  I read a really great series of postings on AMA District VII’s web forum. http://forum.amadistrictvii.org/ .   The series was a well-documented step-by-step on vacuum forming by Grumman-cats.   

8.  Dan Olah of the Cloudbusters loaned me his vacuum forming system and I was able to make a borderline acceptable canopy with my first and only piece of plastic. 

9. Steve Kanyusik, a WWII Navy photographer heard me talking about the PB-2A at The Beef and produced two unpublished photos of the subject, taken in 1937.  Photos are in short supply because the airplane first flew in 1935 and was out of service in 1938.  In those days, air progress was fast and cameras weren’t cheap.

10.  Last open item:  I’ve been digging around like a hungry rat, but I can’t find a set of 3-view drawings.  Does anybody have a likely source?   In addition to the PB-2A, this aircraft has also been called the P-30.

I have to reluctantly lose two weeks of production to attend 10th Mountain Division arctic warfare training at their classified base.  While the objective of the training is Nordic and Alpine skiing, I will as always keep my spy camera ready for any aircraft documentation that comes my way.  Maybe somebody will need Corsair II 71 years from now.

Paul Smith

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here