News:

• May 13, 2024, 04:30:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: My C45J - Part 2  (Read 4037 times)

Offline Jim Fruit

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
My C45J - Part 2
« on: December 04, 2011, 07:19:27 PM »
My apologies for separating this post from the original post as a part 2. I had some concern that the post was getting so long that it might lose some interest.

Attached are some photos of the current status of my C45J Navigator (Navy Beech D18).

Photo 1 shows the rough start of the styrofoam form for the fiberglass upper nacelle. The upper nacelle needs to be removable for access to the retracting gear mechanism. It is held in place by pins into the firewall and rare earth magnets at the rear. There is a decided "snap" when pulling the magnet apart.

Photo 2 shows the same nacelle after the styrofoam has been shaped, but before the application of the fiberglass.

Photo 3 shows the completed upper nacelles and cowls. I have left the styrofoam in the upper nacelles but I have removed all of it from the cowls. I have a lot of detail to complete with the cowls including radial engines, cowl flaps, scale exhaust stacks and other cowl vents. I have started the tail feathers, but the horizontal stab that you see in the picture is just sitting there for the picture. I have had to remove the landing gear to build the lower nacelles and to detail the gear. So I made a styrofoam carrier to hold the plane up off of the table. It gets enough hanger rash as it is. The female Futaba J connector and wire that you see hanging out of the left cowl is for connecting to the signal from Clancy's system through the flying wires. During static judging, that connector will be tucked up inside the cowl.

Photo 4 is just primarily a side view of the current fiberglass work.

Photo 5 shows the completed wiring and mechanics inside the airplane. The fabrication of a battery tray remains to be completed. The red lumpy thing closest to the rear of all of the mechanics is Clancy's decoder. Tiny, isn't it.

Photos 6 and 7 show the bottom nacelle fabrications from two different angles. The fiberglass work for these nacelles was done similarly to the others. I left the styrofoam formwork in place for these, it helps with the strength of it all and these do not have to be removable.

Photo 8 is a simple front view of the airplane in it's current status. It is starting to look more like an airplane and less like a box.

Jim Fruit

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
Re: My C45J - Part 2
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2011, 07:29:48 PM »
Looks great to me!  How many operating features will it have?

Thanks
Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Jim Fruit

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2011, 07:58:30 PM »
Looks great to me!  How many operating features will it have?

Thanks
Bill

Bill:

Throttle (2); Retracts (2 mains & tailwheel); and flaps.

Jim Fruit

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2011, 08:30:06 PM »
Jim...Seeing your thread made me post 2 pictured from Dad's WW2 pics. These two were in New Guinea. I was rather amazed at how shiney the C-45 was, so figured it was probably pretty fresh off the boat from the USA. We have one parked on the ramp near where we fly stunt at Auburn Muni. I'm always amazed at how small the props are, relative to the cowls.  H^^ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2011, 10:30:05 PM »
 Looking very good Jim, thanks for the photos. y1
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Jim Fruit

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2011, 07:44:23 AM »
Jim...Seeing your thread made me post 2 pictured from Dad's WW2 pics. These two were in New Guinea. I was rather amazed at how shiney the C-45 was, so figured it was probably pretty fresh off the boat from the USA. We have one parked on the ramp near where we fly stunt at Auburn Muni. I'm always amazed at how small the props are, relative to the cowls.  H^^ Steve

Steve:

The engines were 9 cylinder Pratt & Whitneys, which dictated the diameter of the cowl. But, prop shaft to the body was just a little over four feet, which dictated an approximate eight foot diameter propellor. It does look small compared to what the engine could handle. At least they ran a variable pitch.

JHF

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2011, 11:30:09 AM »
Jim,

Great job!!

Drop me your address. When your done with the C-45, I'll send you my parts. You can make a Jewel out of it.

Just like you're doing with your model.

Keep it up, I'm learning stuff.

CB
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Jim Fruit

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2011, 11:44:05 AM »
CB:

I only build for myself. I would be concerned about not doing good enough for others.

Not much to teach either that another 70 years of building model airplanes would not cover.

JHF

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2011, 01:26:44 PM »
CB:I only build for myself. I would be concerned about not doing good enough for others. Not much to teach either that another 70 years of building model airplanes would not cover.JHF

Jim,

I'm not fussy. Jist build it about a third as good as yours. I'll be all set with that!  ;D

Hey! Demostration of the retracts on U-Tube?

CB
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2011, 01:29:34 PM »
Jim,
That thing is looking just super great!!  I love the detailing start you have, can't wait to see it in person!!
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2011, 08:12:38 AM »
Hi Jim,

I think the project is totally awesome!  Thanks for filling me in on the working features.  Seems you have about all the things that worked on the real one!

Best wishes and I hope it flies even better than your expectations!

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2011, 08:49:38 PM »
Steve:

The engines were 9 cylinder Pratt & Whitneys, which dictated the diameter of the cowl. But, prop shaft to the body was just a little over four feet, which dictated an approximate eight foot diameter propellor. It does look small compared to what the engine could handle. At least they ran a variable pitch.

JHF

Hi guys,
The Twin Beech was designed with certain engine types and propeller parameters in mind. Most engines were in the 350 to 450 hp range and the propeller length was a known. All P&W R-985 engines are equipped with 8 foot props. Some early versions were variable pitch which required the pilot monitor the RPM and adjust it manually. Some were two position props, T/O and cruise.  Later WWII versions had constant speed props where the governor kept the rpm at a preselected value set by the pilot, and after WWII the most of the military and civilian airplanes were equipped with full-feathering, constant speed propellers.

The Model 18 design was built for these types of engines, Jacobs, Wrights and Pratt & Whitneys which were all about the same displacement (915, 975 and 985 ci respectively) and turn the same diameter props. There was no shortening of the blade diameter to fit it to the design, the designers drew up the airplane to fit the equipment available.

As for the modelers thinking that the blades are too short compared to the cowling, in racing the blades are shortened to allow RPM overspeed and keep the blade tips from supersonic speeds. Overspeeding allows the engine to make more BMEP, more pitch is used for greater speed per rpm and the diameter reduction allows this. That is where you find Wasp Jr. (P&W R-985) horsepower ratings of 575 hp. This is what is listed in many written accounts for the R-2 Gee Bee. The cowling was about the same diameter of the Staggerwing and Twin Beech, and the prop was several inches shorter than 8 feet.

The NACA cowlings on the Twin Beech and the Staggerwing, AT-6, etc, are very aerodynamic. Inside of the cowling are inter-cylinder and cylinder head baffles that direct air through the fins of the cylinders. This internal aerodynamic flow is as important as it's external shape and the size. The speed ring is very close in diameter of the engine itself for smallest frontal area, and is kept from moving forward by clamping them down around the cylinder mounted anchors. If these weren't in place the speed ring would "fly" forward into the prop. The forward thrust propulsion of the prop is mostly done by the outer half of the blade diameter and the shape of the blade shank at it's root is completely round, it only begins to form an airfoil about 14 inches up from the blades exit of the hub itself. Where the blades are an airfoiled shape, they are about inline with the airfoiled curve of the speed rings external shape. This actually accelerates the air across the speed rings external aerodynamic shape aiding in thrust.

It all works in harmony and provides an efficient aerodynamic package of, power section making hp to turn the prop to blow air across the external and internal shapes to provide thrust to propel the airplane as well as cool the cylinders. This as well, the oil, which has a cooler which intakes it's air between two of the cylinders inside of the cowling. I can assure all that the acceleration and climb performance of the Beech 18 at gross weight outperforms every modern twin engine piston twin. The reason being is that it has the biggest engines and props. Also it's high speed abilities are in line with the more modern piston twins, the airplane will cruise at 165 mph true at low power and 235 mph at high power, this providing the pilot with a huge envelope in which to suit the profile of any flight.

I love the subject of your build, Jim. I've 2000 plus hours in the Twin Beech and still fly one every once in a while, still love it's strength and power.

Chris...       

Offline Jim Fruit

• Commander
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2011, 10:57:15 AM »
Chris:

Thank you very much for your input. It is always helpful to obtain the expertise of someone who knows the subject. I finished a model of a Laird Super Solution last year. I believe the original used a pre-war P&W 985. It scaled out as an eight foot propeller also, somewhat verifying your point about the eight foot prop for that engine. However, on the Solution, the prop looked so much larger than the prop on the D-18, even though they were the same size.

The position of the nacelles and the size of the props became another item, however, when I was preparing to build my model. I had selected to build the model at a 1" to 1' scale. This yielded a 48" wingspan. I wanted to build a slightly smaller model than others that I have completed, primarily for transportation purposes. Maxx Products helped me in the selection of electric motors and controllers for the project. I advised them that I was shooting for 5 pounds, so they set me up with two motors that are the equivalent of .25 internal combustion engines. The only thing is that the motors were designed to use 9" to 10" diameter propellers. At the scale I had selected, the distance from prop shaft to the fuselage is only a little greater than 4". Maxx Products crunched the numbers for me and advise that we could go to an 8" three bladed prop. The three blade props will be used for flying while scale two blade props will be used for static judging. This is allowed by the rules.

Again, thanks for the information.

Jim Fruit

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2011, 05:41:46 PM »
Hi Jim,
Just for your info, I flew two different E-18's with three bladed Hartzell propellers. It was an STC available for all versions of the Model 18. They were lighter, slightly smaller in diameter and very fast-feathering.
Chris...

Offline Jim Fruit

• Commander
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2012, 09:32:35 PM »
Hi Guys:

Just wanted to post a couple of pictures of my C45J in what I call it's "ghost mode" before I start to add the color to it. My next task after the color will be to create the flight control box at the handle for Clancy Arnold's control system.

Jim Fruit

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2012, 05:11:02 AM »
Jim,

Your model is beautiful, you've done quite a job with it! Kudos!!

Can't wait for color!

Charles

Offline Allen Goff

• Charter Member
  • Admiral
    • Fellowship of Christan modelers
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2012, 06:59:40 AM »
Really nice work Jim.

Blessings
Allen

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2012, 12:25:21 PM »
Fabulous, Jim!
Chris...

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2012, 02:01:05 PM »
Absolutely super job!! #^ #^

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2012, 10:44:47 PM »
 Very nice job, looks awesome. I wish I could do such a job. y1

Wayne Willey

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2012, 11:37:20 AM »
Hi Jim,

It is really looking great so far!  Can't wait to see the finished piece.

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Jim Fruit

• Commander
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2012, 07:41:56 PM »
Hi guys:

One more post of the C45J finally in color and with the flight options control box constructed.

Picture No. 1 is of the right quadrant with the color applied. It is sitting on its gear. Much to my chagrin, the landing gear motion has stiffened up a lot during construction. I have a lot of loosening up to do. Now I also have a lot of detail to add (radio antennae and wires, pilots, engines, etc.).

Picture No. 2 is the left rear.

Picture No. 3 is of the inside of the flight control box. The box is a project box that I bought from Radio Shack. The control system is Clancy Arnold's four channel system with four slide potentiometers. The top two are throttles, the center one is retracts and the bottom one is flaps. The assembly is powered with a nine volt battery that is sitting in place, but not mounted yet. There is an on/off switch at the top of the box. The wires leading to the control lines come out of the back of the box. This was necessary because the removable face plate faces the airplane. The whole assembly attaches to a Brodack control line handle.

Picture No. 4 is of the other side of the flight control box (the side that faces the pilot). I have yet to label the box.

This takes my C45J (Navy Beech D18) fairly well through the interesting stuff. The rest is just the boredom of details, so I think I am finished with this post. The model will be at the Nats, hope to see you all there.

Jim Fruit

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2012, 08:02:01 PM »
Jim,

Wow!!

Congratulations on your work! Kudos!

Makes me want to dig up my Beech and get to work on it. Mine looks like junk!

Your work deffinetly has a good influience, as it should be.

Looks larger than what it is!

I do have a bunch of questions, so, we gotta talk!!

Thanks for the update and photos!!

Charles

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
  • I am 5 Ft. 8 In., the Taube is 7 Ft. 4 In.
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2012, 09:02:55 AM »
Jim
The plane looks great and the control handle is neater inside than mine. 

I am Left Handed and fly with my left hand.  To fly your model I would have to hold the handle up side down and fly the entire flight "inverted".  LOL

Clancy
Clancy Arnold
Indianapolis, IN   AMA 12560 LM-S
U/Tronics Control
U/Control with electronics added.

Offline Jim Fruit

• Commander
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2012, 09:11:41 AM »
Jim
The plane looks great and the control handle is neater inside than mine. 

I am Left Handed and fly with my left hand.  To fly your model I would have to hold the handle up side down and fly the entire flight "inverted".  LOL

Clancy

Clancy:

No, you could fly left handed. You would just have to control "cross handed". LOL

JHF

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2012, 09:17:09 AM »
Clancy:No, you could fly left handed. You would just have to control "cross handed". LOLJHF

Clancy,

If you flew standing on your head, would that solve the problem?

Hey! Clancy, we have to talk!

I got flaps, throttle, and retracts, not to mention gear doors! Similar to Jim's setup. I gotta pick Jim's mind also.

What inspiration, Jim does great work!

Charles

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2012, 09:29:43 AM »

This takes my C45J (Navy Beech D18) fairly well through the interesting stuff. The rest is just the boredom of details, so I think I am finished with this post. The model will be at the Nats, hope to see you all there.

Jim Fruit

You are far from finished with this post/thread.   We need details of the first flight, second flight and the rest of them. mw~
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2012, 11:38:30 AM »
Hi Jim,

Tat looks simply awesome.  Outstanding job!  I am really hoping to get to he NATS, maybe I will be able.

Tell us how she flies, OK?

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
  • I am 5 Ft. 8 In., the Taube is 7 Ft. 4 In.
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2012, 07:44:45 PM »
I got a one up on all the rest of you modelers today.  I got to see it up close and within reach but Jim handled it, not me!  It is GORGEOUS!!

Jim has been having some problems with his U/Troics Control system in the model and brought it down to my house so that I could troubleshoot the problem.  We replaced two of the Slide Pots in the box on his Control Handle and that fixed the problems he had been having.

The cause of the problem is the size of the soldering Gun that Jim has been using.  A 100/140 Watt Soldering Gun.  The heat from the solder joint was loosening the terminals on the Slide Pots.  Not Repairable!  I recommend a 30 Watt Pencil Soldering Iron ($5.00 on eBay) or an adjustable temperature Soldering Station ($30 on eBay) as I use.

It is going to be an interesting NATS this year,  
Clancy
Clancy Arnold
Indianapolis, IN   AMA 12560 LM-S
U/Tronics Control
U/Control with electronics added.

Offline Jim Fruit

• Commander
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2012, 08:41:02 AM »
Thanks, Clancy. Kind words for an unfinished airplane. Listen to what Clancy says guys, low wattage for this electronic work. I was frying slide potentiometers and did not even know it.

Jim Fruit

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2012, 09:51:02 AM »
"It is going to be an interesting NATS this year," 
Clancy

Right you are, Clancy old pal!  Allen couldn't have picked a better year to draft me to judge!!!  I'm excited at the possibilities!

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2012, 06:19:12 AM »
Hi guys,
The Twin Beech was designed with certain engine types and propeller parameters in mind. Most engines were in the 350 to 450 hp range and the propeller length was a known. All P&W R-985 engines are equipped with 8 foot props. Some early versions were variable pitch which required the pilot monitor the RPM and adjust it manually. Some were two position props, T/O and cruise.  Later WWII versions had constant speed props where the governor kept the rpm at a preselected value set by the pilot, and after WWII the most of the military and civilian airplanes were equipped with full-feathering, constant speed propellers.

The Model 18 design was built for these types of engines, Jacobs, Wrights and Pratt & Whitneys which were all about the same displacement (915, 975 and 985 ci respectively) and turn the same diameter props. There was no shortening of the blade diameter to fit it to the design, the designers drew up the airplane to fit the equipment available.

As for the modelers thinking that the blades are too short compared to the cowling, in racing the blades are shortened to allow RPM overspeed and keep the blade tips from supersonic speeds. Overspeeding allows the engine to make more BMEP, more pitch is used for greater speed per rpm and the diameter reduction allows this. That is where you find Wasp Jr. (P&W R-985) horsepower ratings of 575 hp. This is what is listed in many written accounts for the R-2 Gee Bee. The cowling was about the same diameter of the Staggerwing and Twin Beech, and the prop was several inches shorter than 8 feet.

The NACA cowlings on the Twin Beech and the Staggerwing, AT-6, etc, are very aerodynamic. Inside of the cowling are inter-cylinder and cylinder head baffles that direct air through the fins of the cylinders. This internal aerodynamic flow is as important as it's external shape and the size. The speed ring is very close in diameter of the engine itself for smallest frontal area, and is kept from moving forward by clamping them down around the cylinder mounted anchors. If these weren't in place the speed ring would "fly" forward into the prop. The forward thrust propulsion of the prop is mostly done by the outer half of the blade diameter and the shape of the blade shank at it's root is completely round, it only begins to form an airfoil about 14 inches up from the blades exit of the hub itself. Where the blades are an airfoiled shape, they are about inline with the airfoiled curve of the speed rings external shape. This actually accelerates the air across the speed rings external aerodynamic shape aiding in thrust.

It all works in harmony and provides an efficient aerodynamic package of, power section making hp to turn the prop to blow air across the external and internal shapes to provide thrust to propel the airplane as well as cool the cylinders. This as well, the oil, which has a cooler which intakes it's air between two of the cylinders inside of the cowling. I can assure all that the acceleration and climb performance of the Beech 18 at gross weight outperforms every modern twin engine piston twin. The reason being is that it has the biggest engines and props. Also it's high speed abilities are in line with the more modern piston twins, the airplane will cruise at 165 mph true at low power and 235 mph at high power, this providing the pilot with a huge envelope in which to suit the profile of any flight.

I love the subject of your build, Jim. I've 2000 plus hours in the Twin Beech and still fly one every once in a while, still love it's strength and power.

Chris...       

Interesting stuff.  This is the first time I heard that the props turn at engine RPM, rather than being geared-down like most others.  It must be the last that breed.  I can see that supersonic tip speed would be an issue.  But on the other hand, the engines are more inboard and the flying props are near-scale on a model.

The Beech 18 was called the "Colonel-killer" in the Air Force.  The theory being that it was used to get causal flying time by aging officers with sometimes bad results.

While in Wichita, I heard a rumor that the FAA tried to ground the fleet under what proved to be a bogus airworthiness directive.  The owners (who were no slouches) lawyered-up and proved that modern airplane makers had drummed the thing up to get rid of Beech 18's so they could sell new planes.  The planes owners prevailed.

Paul Smith

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2012, 01:20:14 PM »
Up to 600 HP the direct drive engine is suited to the propeller length for the bore and stroke of the engines in the 900 to 1300 CI range. The 1340 CI 600 hp T-6 has more prop growl than a Staggerwing because of the prop diameter difference (T-6 longer blades) for the same rpm (2300), and the Air Force T-28 with the 1300 CI Wright of 800 hp has big paddle blades and geared reduction which makes it very quiet though the engine turns 2600 rpm.
The 985 was developed experimentally as a geared engine and Jackie Cochran flew her Staggerwing in the '37 Bendix with one installed, (as well as an intercooled turbocharger) but the complexity wasn't worth the expense and performance gain. The 1340 was developed as a geared engine for the single DeHavilland Otter and was used for many years in the bush, still used in fact.
The original Wright Cyclone 1820 was direct drive, hence the 790 and 830 HP ratings for the A-17 F and FS.

We used to kid about the DC-3 being a good, docile trainer for the Twin Beech. The Beech demands one's attention during take off and landing for sure and taxi is just a hoot, often very entertaining for the spectators.

Beech 18's were involved in a number of A.D.'s through the years but the big one was for the steel tube wing carry-through structure, the requirement being a spar strap. Several companies developed spar straps and the maintenance business was good for there were so many Beeches in the fleet. It also involves an x-ray of the carry-through on an ongoing basis.

Beech historically doesn't give much help to owners of older models. They won't comment on Model 17 and 18 details officially. I remember training corporate flight departments in spin and unusual attitude training in a Beech E-33C Aerobatic Bonanza and the company kept making stricter and stricter requirements to retain the Aerobatic Category of the airplane. Such is tort and liability, I guess.   

Chris...

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2012, 01:51:12 PM »
Multi-engine tail-draggers are a piece of work on the ground.  I always felt that the double rudders on the Beech 18 would have given it something of an advantage over the single-rudder DC-3.  On the ground, the single rudder is no rudder at all.

Some people wonder why so many planes have double rudders.  They never taxied a Gooney Bird.  I think of the B-24 & B-25 as overkill: both double rudders and tricycle gears.
Paul Smith

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2012, 11:42:26 PM »
The Twin Beech will not taxi on one engine. The DC-3 will. It's a moment arm thing, the smaller nacelle moment compared to the longer fuse length moment on the -3 makes it possible. It's aided immensely by it's tall vertical with ample rudder area.

The rudders on the Beech are too small, the DC-3 is much easier to operate in any regime. As soon as the power comes up on a -3 the rudder is easily more effective than the Beech at 60mph. Just my experience.

Most airplanes of the 30's era had double rudders to keep the overall height of the airplane low, or to keep the stress low by having smaller structures. The 30's idea of having a rudder behind every engine seems a nautical one. The B-24 was superseded by the PB4Y with one tall vertical. A tall, high aspect ratio fin and rudder will always be more effective than a short, low aspect ratio. Examples are the F6F compared to the F8F, P-51D compared to P-51H, DC-4, 6, 7, etc.
The executive transport Howard 500 (Lockheed Ventura, small double verticals) had to have an auto feather, auto boosted rudder deflection system to get the VMC down to 100 kts and the On-Mark Marksman (Douglas Invader, single vertical) only needed a set of vortex generators and a metal covering on the rudder to achieve the same.

The single fin/rudder design is quite a bit more than no rudder at all.

Chris...

Offline Jim Fruit

• Commander
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2012, 07:21:44 AM »
Guys:

Thanks for all of your comments on this project. It has been fun.

I attended the Scale Nats in Muncie this week end. The old C45J is no more. I pancaked the airplane during a flight, causing enough damage that I could not continue. I was so disgusted with myself that I left early. The model is not destroyed, but it would take major effort to repair and I don't have that kind of time. If I repaired it, I would still have a small winged, heavy (5.2 pounds/approx. 2 pounds per sq.ft.), complicated airplane. And I would still have an airplane that struggles with effortless flight. Besides, I don't fix airplanes, I just enjoy building them. The C45J did score second high static to John Brodak's great goodyear racer. Recently, I have been building more and more complicated airplanes, without much success. I watched most of the other guys flying their obviously lesser weight per sq. ft. airplanes and had somewhat of an epiphany. I believe I am going to go back to simpler, larger winged airplane and try to keep the weight down. To tell the truth, this is where my previous models were most successful. To add to that, my flying abilities have gone to h... in a handbasket due to lack of practice and advancing age. I think I will build a large enough model so that I don't need a glass-smooth surface to practice on. Larger wheels/larger wings/lesser weight per sq.ft., that should help.

As per usual, I have a tendency to ramble when a simple sentence would have sufficed. The C45J "est kaput". Thanks again for all of your comments.

Jim Fruit

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2012, 02:28:18 PM »
Sorry to hear of your misfortune.   But, we live and learn.   I know your next project will be a winner.   If you read the latest Control Line World magazine, you will see why John is a winner and great competitor.   H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2012, 05:50:14 PM »
Hi Jim,

I am really sorry to hear of the mishap with that awesome model.  I am not "into" scale (yet) but I believe you have it right about larger, lighter wing loading models being better.  My first foray into SCALE will be a Sterling kit Great Lakes Biplane.  I can build it fairly light and the real one doesn't have a lot of "working functions".  I am using a J.Roberts 3 line on this one and using only throttle.  I hope to go to Clancy's electronic system fairly soon.  Or maybe the 2.4gh if/when they are approved.

Good luck with the next one!
Bill
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 07:28:43 PM by Bill Little »
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Jim Fruit

• Commander
« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2012, 04:29:14 PM »
John & Bill:

Thanks for the kind words. I have decided my next subject will be the first Rearwin Speedster (Ole number one). I am going to do it at a 2" to the foot scale which will yield a 64" wingspan.

Bill, there is nothing wrong with the J Roberts system. My guess would be that a good 70% of the guys flying at the Nats still are using that method. I have that kit of the Great Lakes by Sterling stuffed away somewhere also. If I remember correctly, it is fairly small. I also know what you mean by not having a lot of "working functions". What would one use for working functions if you built a Piper Cub (or my Rearwin)? There just are none, not even flaps. One just has to get innovative about his flying options instead. It all has to do with the selection of right airplane for a subject. And, I need to get to where I can fly a complete routine again.

JHF

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2012, 05:25:31 PM »
 Somehow I'd lost track of this one, it came out GREAT Jim! That orange/white NAVY scheme looks great on almost any model.

I don't recognize it, what station does the lettering below the NAVY on the fuse represent?

Wayne Willey

Offline Jim Fruit

• Commander
« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2012, 06:12:31 PM »
Somehow I'd lost track of this one, it came out GREAT Jim! That orange/white NAVY scheme looks great on almost any model.

I don't recognize it, what station does the lettering below the NAVY on the fuse represent?

Wayne:

All of the lettering represents Pensacola NAS. When I decided to do this airplane, I took a trip down to Pensacola to get detailed photographs of a C45J that I found that they had there. Much to my chagrin, when I got there they had hung the airplane 20 feet in the air in one of their museums, so all I got were pictures of the bottom of the airplane. Then, I found pictures of another C45J on the internet that an individual had just restored. He had painted it in the same Pensacola scheme, so I used those pictures for my detailed static book. White is probably my least favorite color. But in this configuration, the model did look great.

JHF

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2012, 06:43:44 PM »
 Ahh, this one...

Wayne Willey

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2012, 09:25:00 AM »
Jim,

Sorry for your loss.

You know I followed your thread and gave you encouragement.

I hope you'll take a bit of time away from thinking of that fine model and eventually find the spirit and enthusiasm to repair it.

You do have a great gift with building abilities. I'm sure it would still be a fine model even when repaired.

Charles

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #43 on: July 17, 2012, 10:06:26 AM »
Bill, there is nothing wrong with the J Roberts system.

Without saying anything against the J Roberts system, I did see a crash recently that would have been avoided with an electronics system.  The plane caught the lines in the weeds while taxiing, circled in, then went to half throttle and crashed.  With electronic control my friend would have been able to cut the throttle.

But even after watching that, I still think I'll go three-line if I'm doing a scale plane that's just elevator-throttle.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2012, 10:07:07 AM »
And Jim -- I'm sorry to hear about the plane.  It's hell to put so much work into one and have it die an early death.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #45 on: July 17, 2012, 10:08:35 AM »
My first foray into stunt will be a Sterling kit Great Lakes Biplane.

Scale?

I notice that Brodaks has three-line bellcranks.  I'm told that they don't harmonize well with J. Roberts handles -- you either want to go all Brodaks or all J Roberts.
AMA 64232

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #46 on: July 17, 2012, 10:44:01 AM »
Yes there is a geometry set up difference between the two.  As I have J-Roberts handles and can only get Brodak bellcranks I add a transfer crank between the brodak bellcrank and the throttle arm.  I may or may not be getting full throw on the bellcrank, but I can compensate with the transfer crank.  It takes practice and time to set them up.   Also keep the one set of lines for the plane and use the handle for different planes. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Jim Fruit

• Commander
« Reply #47 on: July 17, 2012, 12:15:33 PM »
And Jim -- I'm sorry to hear about the plane.  It's hell to put so much work into one and have it die an early death.

Tim:

Thanks for the condolences. It is just a model however, no one was on board. We did receive quite a scare at the Nats. One of the guys that was flying one of the two huge B-17's that were there was injured in the crash of his plane. I was helping Rich Schaeffer with his plane in the other circle at the time, so I did not see it happen. I just heard it. I looked up to see the plane in about 2" pieces and he was laying on the pavement (and not moving). He did stay on the pavement until the EMT's showed up. Don't know exactly what happened, but it could have been serious.

As far as my flight went, I just believe lack of flying experience overcame me. I knew that the plane had a tendency to hunt, which would tell me that it was still tail heavy. I did not want to add any more nose weight because it was a tail dragger and I was afraid of nose over. I was so rattled at the time of the first flight that I now remember that I had not even extended the flaps. This lack of lift probably also contributed to the plane not wanting to stay up at a slower speed. That is the end of that. Until I can get my flying abilities back, I am going much more simple (with more practice).

JHF

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #48 on: July 17, 2012, 12:57:08 PM »
Jim,
I was so excited to get to see your ship!  I really wanted to static it, but they plopped me down at another class.  Drat.  I hate that you crashed it, didn't get in on that one either as I was judging on the other circle!  Well, it saved me the pain of seeing the crash first hand.  BOY, DID I EVER HAVE A BRAIN FADE WHEN I WROTE THIS!!!  Jim WAS on the circle I was judging on when he lost the ship!  Seeeesh, must be the heat.

On the injured flyer, the '17 was pulling really hard and he slipped, fell and hit his head very hard, the safety thong cut his wrist, and he told me he thought he might have a broken rib or two!  He hit REALLY hard, according to those who saw it first hand.  I was scared speechless, because when we heard the crash  (I was on the other circle again) and looked over, I realized he wasn't moving and my first thought was heart attack or something.
He went to the hospital the next day to be checked out, I haven't heard anything since.  (I'm home now, had some issues with a family member's health that threatened to keep me from even going.  All seems well, now.)  I hope to never be involved in another incident like that one.  On a positive note, the gentleman won in one class, and, no, I don't remember which one!
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 04:17:19 PM by Will Hinton »

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #49 on: July 17, 2012, 07:34:38 PM »
Scale?

I notice that Brodaks has three-line bellcranks.  I'm told that they don't harmonize well with J. Roberts handles -- you either want to go all Brodaks or all J Roberts.

Thanks, Tim, I missed that even after going back an re reading the post.  I have both J.Roberts B/Cs and handles plus Brodak B/Cs and handle.  I have been told that the two systems do not work together very well so I will keep them separate.

I am stuck right now on what engine to use in the Great Lakes.  I was thinking an OS .40LA but it doesn't fit too well.  Might have to go to a smaller engine of some type.  All the parts are now built and waiting for assembly.  Gotta make a decision on the engine before I can go forward.

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #50 on: July 18, 2012, 02:38:54 PM »
Tim:

Thanks for the condolences. It is just a model however, no one was on board.

As far as my flight went, I just believe lack of flying experience overcame me. I knew that the plane had a tendency to hunt, which would tell me that it was still tail heavy. I did not want to add any more nose weight because it was a tail dragger and I was afraid of nose over. I was so rattled at the time of the first flight that I now remember that I had not even extended the flaps. This lack of lift probably also contributed to the plane not wanting to stay up at a slower speed. That is the end of that. Until I can get my flying abilities back, I am going much more simple (with more practice).

JHF

Hi Jim,
Sorry to see that you had a crash with the Twin Beech. I was rooting for you and love that model.

I agree with your assessment that a lot of flight time and recency of experience is a prerequisite for success in Scale.
Over the years experience has shown that cg is an absolute, nothing is worse than being out of balance regardless of total weight or landing gear configuration.
Experience in operating the Scale model entry itself is very important, most successful Scale models are flown extensively to trim them out and gain experience in operation.

I think these points are important no matter what the Scale subject and offer these points as the same I use for myself, as well as anyone else. I started flying R/C so that I could compete in Scale. I have been flying Pattern the last two years so as to have seen and flown the most different maneuvers and attitudes inflight as I can, before flying a more difficult to fly Scale model in competition.
Then, much like your thoughts on a new simpler ship, I've chosen a model that is a good flyer with simple operations. My choices are Scale aerobatic models, a fixed gear CAP 10 with flaps in "Fun Scale" and a Yak 18PM retractable tricycle-geared model with flaps for the tougher "Expert" event.
All this in hopes that I can be as successful as possible in the event, and enjoy flying the models.

I wish you the best with your next model, and hope you can get lots of flying time in this summer while enjoying it with your friends.

Chris...

Offline Jim Fruit

• Commander
« Reply #51 on: July 18, 2012, 08:13:13 PM »
Chris:

Thanks for the kind words, I have always enjoyed your comments. I really like your choice of the YAK 18PM because of the tricycle retractable gear. That selection virtually eliminates the dreaded nose over and, of course, the retracts offer another flight option. Selection of the subject that naturally lends itself to the current scoring system is often difficult at best. In my opinion, I see the natural selection to be retracts, twin engines, flaps and tricycle gear. For this reason, my next subject was going to be a North American AJ-1 Savage. I had just about completed the plans for the AJ-1, but I am setting them aside for a while to do the simpler approach that I have previously mentioned. I need to get better at the second half of the hobby - flying. Thanks again.

JHF

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #52 on: July 19, 2012, 09:29:59 AM »
Hi Jim,
Your choice of an AJ for your ultimate Scaler is really cool.
I built a 45 inch Tigercat for Old Time Stunt and learned a lot of things I could share with you about making a Scale model light enough to fly well. Mine did not incorporate near enough of these to complete the Pattern but it did wingover and do consecutive loops safely, and I wish there had been time enough for me to incorporate all lightweight techniques before it's completion.

When you are entertaining the build, I'd be delighted to discuss weight savings and philosophy of the Scale model with you!

Chris...

Online chuck snyder

• Commander
« Reply #53 on: July 19, 2012, 12:01:35 PM »
I would like to offer some comments on the philosophy of selecting a subject for a scale model. First I believe that any model, simple or complex, can be competitive and building something that turns you on (provides the motivation for a complex project) is the top priority.

Beyond that I have some preferences. I don't like tricycle gear because of the potential to lose flight points on take off and landing. Many prototypes have a long nose gear (F7F, P-38, Ta-154). Built to scale length this can cause a model to "wheel barrow" on takeoff. In this situation the main gear lifts off before the nose wheel and the model runs along with only the nose wheel on the ground. Really bad deal on a full-size airplane and something I believe a flight judge ought to severly downgrade. Charlie Bauer's Ta-154 does this as did Lynn Greene's P-38 several years ago. On landing the long strut can also cause a problem with the angle of attack required to hold it off. Again full-size airplanes land main gear first. Most of the tricycle gear models I have watched will snap the nose gear to the pavement immediately after the mains touch rather than allowing the pilot to gradually and softly lower the nose wheel. Again I think a score downgrade would  be appropriate. The AJ-1, IIRC, does not sit with the exagerated angle of attack that the F7F and P-38 do, so maybe not an issue. A tail dragger provides the option of a two or three-point landing as fits the conditions. Many of the tricycle gear models I have seen just shorten the nose gear and ought to be downgraded in static.

Twins face an inherent weight penalty vs a single. I have built three for C/L competition, an XF-5-F and dH Hornet for profile and a Henschel 129 for FAI. The Skyrocket was somewhat successful, but mostly a learning experience as my first C/L scale model. Only real negative aspect was the thin scale airfoil. The others were reasonably successful. The Hornet was motivated by "love," the Henschel by practicality. Consider wing area vs total volume of fuselage and nacelles to try to keep the wing loading reasonable (1930's bombers good; post WWII cargo planes bad). The Henschel has simple geometry in the retracting gear. There is only one gear cover door and it does not sequence like the doors on a B-25. It has simple slotted flaps, one per wing. No complex fowler flaps. It carried bombs externally, no need for bomb bay doors.

In general I try to stay away from narrow landing gear--WWI or many bipes. They really tend to cause a C/L model to tip up on the left wing during ground handling maneuvers. That ought to cost flight points deduction.

I like my models big, big really does fly better. My better models are in the 700 to 800 square inch wing area range.

Chuck

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #54 on: July 19, 2012, 01:57:44 PM »
I was test flying a profile Brodak F8F bearcat for a friend in California and on the maiden flight we thought we had the CG just right but it needed to forward. I always take off very slowly, get the model to flying speed (tail up rolling on the mains) and slowly open the throttle and get the model about 3 feet off the ground and determine if the CG is correct. I normally shot for 25% of the average chord, that normally works out just fine. Then I start moving the CG aft if needed to get some faster response.

On the Beatcat test flight it was obvious that the CG was back too far and was too pitch senstive. I then froze my hand in the nuetral position and throttled back and landed with very minor damage. Since I was very close to the ground I was able to get the model back on the ground fast enough to minimize damage.

CG changes can make a huge difference in the model, also the leadout position will lower the line tension, especially on the larger models. On my 12 lb camera plane I can fly the model with one hand, but not at full speed. Adjust the CG first to get the pitch senstivity under control and then move the line guide to lower the line tension within reason.

Sad to hear the Twin Beech suffered a crash I was hoping to see the model at the FCM contest in Late Aug. I hope it can be rebuilt.

Fred Cronenwett
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale
Model Aviation CL Scale columnist

Offline Jim Fruit

• Commander
« Reply #55 on: July 19, 2012, 03:59:23 PM »
Thanks guys for your comments, all interesting.

Chris: The AJ-1 holds a special interest for me. My parents bought me a Berkeley kit of one in the early 50's and it made a nice little scale model. I wanted to do a more legitimate rendition of the subject in their memory. I know what you mean about building light. Three years ago I built a Luscombe Phantom way too light (4 pounds on 660 square inches). In the first test flight, a slight Lake Michigan breeze vaulted the the model four feet into the air before I had any appreciable forward speed. It scared me so much that I set it back down immediately, causing landing gear damage. This one I will repair. I will have to cut back into the airplane to install a more substantial landing gear.

Chuck: I have seen what you are referring to in Charlie's Ta 154 and Lynn's P 38. Sometimes this can be helped by telescoping landing gear struts. It is interesting how you and I differ about tricycle gear as opposed to tail draggers. I believe that I have seen more nose overs with a tail dragger than I have seen issues with nose wheels. I believe that the best demonstration with either approach will because the pilot has practiced enough. This is where I have failed. I lost my flying buddy some time ago and it has been a good fifteen years since I have been able to get in any flying. Fortunately, electrics may change that.

Fred: I have already started with my design of my next,simpler model. It is going to be of the first rendition of the Rearwin Speedster with the Cirrus engine. All subsequent Speedsters used Menasco engines, so this subject will be very unique. The model will be totally adjustable (CG, leadout position and angle of attack), so I hope to get it to fly so that I am not afraid of it. It will be about 600 sq. in., and I am hoping for 5 to 6 pounds. I was planning to make it to FCM this year, but the Beech demise makes that impractical. The Beech could be repaired, but I hate fixing airplanes. Besides, after repairing it I still would have a less than ideal flying airplane. I would rather pursue a better flying model so that I can get some practice in. This is one of the reasons that I set the AJ-1 aside. On paper, it looked very similar to the Beech that did not succeed.

Jim Fruit

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #56 on: July 19, 2012, 07:37:43 PM »
Now, don't forget the pictures. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #57 on: July 20, 2012, 11:21:27 PM »
Luscombe Phanton, Rearwin Speedster, man I'm lovin' that stuff.
Chris...

Offline Jim Fruit

• Commander
« Reply #58 on: July 21, 2012, 11:06:30 AM »
Luscombe Phanton, Rearwin Speedster, man I'm lovin' that stuff.
Chris...

Chris:

Me too. I guess what I am doing is revealing my advanced age. No, what I am actually revealing is that I make an annual trip Oshkosh Wi. for the EAA convention to photograph proposed subjects. I am going up there next Monday for that reason. I usually am drawn to round engines, but I spotted the Rearwin Speedster there last year. Looks like a streamlined Piper Cub. I am hoping it makes a good one.

JHF

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here