News:

• May 03, 2024, 03:50:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Multi function control of a scale CL model  (Read 659 times)

Offline EF

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
Multi function control of a scale CL model
« on: July 17, 2007, 02:40:17 PM »
Hello everyone, new guy here, my first post on this site.
Used to fly stunt (basic level) some 30 years ago, then went into RC, later sport-scale RC, and now planning on getting back into CL and trying CL scale for the first time.

I studied the issue of multi function control for a CL model and amongst the various options available, learnt you can do it with direct servo control from an RC Tx, which leads me to a couple of questions:

I checked my old, not used anymore but fully operational, Airtronics Championship Series Tx and saw at the back of it a DSC (direct servo control) port.
So, next I checked the manual, and it said the port should be connected with a cable to the Rx switch harness charge plug.
Also, it says to switch the Rx on but not the Tx.
So I guess the ground and signal go through the lines? since the charge plug is only 2-pins.
Would it work with 60 ft lines or would their resistance be too great? am thinking of Brodak insulated lines for example.

One more question for all you experts who may be using such a system - how do you get around the Human Engineering issue?
I mean - having a switch or two added to a standard handle is one thing, but how do you operate a CL handle, and an RC Tx? do you hang it on a belt? and how do you operate it? it's tempting to have 6 channels this way, I just don't see how exactly to operate it...

I'm planning to start a model in a few months (need to finish off some other models first, but have started doing some homework on this subject), probably a Sig RYAN STA that I saw the kit shows can be built for CL, and thought throttle and flaps could be nice to operate.
Erez

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
  • I am 5 Ft. 8 In., the Taube is 7 Ft. 4 In.
Re: Multi function control of a scale CL model
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2007, 03:11:50 PM »
EF
For openers I build and sell the U/Tronics Control units listed under Vendors Corner of Stunt Hangar Forum.  I have been flying CL Scale for 25 years.  My first was a modified RC Transmitter and receiver with the pulse string going up the insulated flying lines as you suggest so it will work.

The way most of us do it today is with dedicated electronics that are designed for CL.  As to where or how to hold the controls varies with each flier.  Some hang a box on their belt, some have the controls mounted in a box that they mount under, over or beside their handle.  Some even build the electronics into a custom built handle.

Welcome to Stunt Hangar and enjoy CL Scale. 

If you need additional information I am an Email away.

Clancy
Clancy Arnold
Indianapolis, IN   AMA 12560 LM-S
U/Tronics Control
U/Control with electronics added.

Offline chuck snyder

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007, 11:14:48 AM »
EF,
I've been responding to your posts over on RCU--I'm R8893 over there. I also fly R/C, actually more than the C/L I fly. I'm a proponent of the DSC method. To answer your first question: I remember the resistance of the lines being about 50 ohms for each 60 foot line. So the circuit will have around 100 ohms. This does not seem to be a problem.

Regarding the human engineering: I have my systems set up so that my left hand controls all the auxilliary functions, ie., everything except elevator. I have two-stick transmitters with the throttle on the left stick. I also set up my bomb drops to work with what would be full right rudder on the R/C model. Retracts switch is in the normal place. My 7 channel JR transmitter has a flap knob on the left side. I do have to take my thumb off the throttle to work the flaps. With the JR transmitter I use a neck strap and a very small transmitter tray. This is enough to stabilize the transmitter. There are times that I have forgotten the transmitter tray but I was still able to fly the model. It was not very comfortable however. I also have a really old Kraft transmitter with the flaps on channel 6 which is a slide switch on the front panel. It is actually easier to use than the JR knob. I hang the Kraft transmitter on my belt on the left side of my body. It is rotated 90 degrees anti-clockwise which seems more natural to me than hanging it in the vertical position. All of this is very natural when you are used to flying R/C.

Chuck

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2007, 03:01:32 PM »
I designed and built my own.  But then I am a engineer and enjoy doing my own thing.  See Electronic control of U-contral Scale by John Rist near the end of this BB.  I designed mine to controll the throttle with the thumb of the right hand.  The other functions are accessed with the left hand.  Works well but so far it is one of a kind.  I am working toward showing up at some scale contests next summer.  #^ ~>
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline EF

• New Pilot
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2007, 12:38:19 AM »
I bought a U/Tronics single channel system from Clancy Arnold, and now "only" have to complete a model to practice flying with throttle control  :)

I'm a bit slow going recently (other models to complete, and other issues) but will get there.
Will post pics and info on the way.
Erez

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here