News:

• May 03, 2024, 12:03:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Mr Mulligan 1st Scale Entry Northwest Regionals  (Read 2785 times)

Walter Hicks

• Trade Count: (0)
Mr Mulligan 1st Scale Entry Northwest Regionals
« on: June 05, 2015, 07:30:26 PM »
"Mr Mulligan " 1st Scale contest ever for me  3rd place Sport Scale Northwest Regionals. Sterling kit only used wing ribs and fuse formers , the rest
was with good wood replaced the lousy kit wood. FP 15 no throttle. Fleet white basecoat clear coat paint . Callie decals . Lots of fun to make
flies like a rock not fun to land with no throttle!!!

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
Re: Mr Mulligan 1st Scale Entry Northwest Regionals
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2015, 08:36:14 PM »
Walter,

Really nice!

Close to the original, can't understand why you only took a 3rd place?

Here's a photo you may have interest in.

Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2015, 09:33:38 PM »

Close to the original, can't understand why you only took a 3rd place?

well in scale, flight options are important,, things like taxi,,, a proper landing ( helps to have throttle)

I normally judge scale with Pat at the regionals,, I was not able to be there this year but there is a LOT to it

Nice model Walter,, I wish I could have made it
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2015, 10:26:53 PM »
Oh, wow...memories!  Had one of those back in the '50s.  Nice job!
FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Offline Jim Fruit

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2015, 07:40:54 AM »
Congratulations, Walter. I also built that one back in the late 50's. Nice looking airplane. I have a 60" scratch built hanging in the basement with a twin in it.

Jim Fruit

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2015, 07:21:53 AM »
Walter - Great looking airplane! the NW Regionals is a great contest, I wish it was closer so that I could attend

Fred
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale
Model Aviation CL Scale columnist

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2015, 11:08:02 AM »
Hi Walter,

I think you did a great job on the first contest effort!  Now that you got your feet wet you can move on down to the deep end of the pool!  Next time I know you will have throttle and more documentation now that you have experienced it.

Good Job!
Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Walter Hicks

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2015, 01:47:08 PM »
Thanks for all the comments. This was a "Beginner" basic effort for scale. I knew going in that it would hurt point wise to not have a throttle.
I chose the "Mr Mulligan " as it made sense as a first effort. All white with some decals. I did score well in the static part. I did not want to mess with a three line bellcrank ,etc in that plane. My competition was against a Nats winner John Wright and other experienced scale pilots.
Mission accomplished , plane was built ,experience in basic scale documentation, and scale contest experience. I am in the process of building
a 60" Rearwin Speedster which will have throttle 2.4 system and will again be entered in sport Scale. This was a very fun experience and will
be repeated many times. I have always liked scale ! Most of my C/L stunt planes were somewhat semi scale anyway. ( I am not a very good
stunt pilot) I have flown in C/L stunt  ,Laser 200,Chipmunk, and latest is profile Sea Fury. After competing since `1984 in stunt it is time to
do what really is fun for me. My father was a B-24 pilot and was a flight instructor in the Navy, he taught his students to fly in Stearman
bipe and then AT6 . My namesake Walter E Less was a Early Aviation Pioneer , he was a test pilot for Curtis Wright , and at one time
held the world endurance record of 84 hours continuous flight early 1930s  in a Packard Bellanca , with a Diesel engine!! This held until 1986 when
Burt Rutan  broke it with the Voyager. So all that being said it is only fitting that I fly scale.

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2015, 04:27:14 PM »

The Mulligan looks great! y1
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2015, 12:18:44 PM »
At this point you could retrofit it to 2.4 throttle control a lot easier than three line.

With a throttle you can get about 95 flight points.  Without a throttle you'll be lucky to get 50.   For takeoff, landing, and realism of flight alone you're looking at scoring about 9 out of a possible 30 points.
Paul Smith

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2015, 01:18:16 PM »
Don't let his modesty fool you-Walter is a darn good C/L Aerobatic pilot-stunt's loss is scale's gain. Mr. Mulligan looks great. Paul's right-install an R/C throttle in that plane, make points, save grief.  8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here