News:

• May 04, 2024, 02:49:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Mini scale (working) Desk Display Flutter models  (Read 814 times)

Offline Shultzie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
Mini scale (working) Desk Display Flutter models
« on: December 09, 2007, 11:41:59 AM »
Here are two example of some of the mini recognition awards models that we built for special occations by our flutter model group at the Wind Tunnel Model shop in Seattle.

After molds were cast from actual display models...
next, I would pour light weight 10 lb. foam models...
followed by prep work for painting...

I would fill, prime and finish up to the final prime coat stage..
cut apart...
insert thin sheet stainless steel shim stock to be used as flexible spars in both the wings and fuselage..and then follow up again with the completed paint scheme..etc.

Then our wood shop would cut the model display stand...and then give back to our
flutter group...to install a small electric motor which would supply the "shaker" rod that would vibrate the model when a small switch would activate the piston.

This would start the model to simulate what happens when a full sized flutter model is flown beyond its designed flight envelope speeds.
We had to be very careful to make certain that the motor was adjusted carefully in order to keep the final model from blowing apart from excessive vibration.

Although I cast the models....primed them...cut them apart....attached all the internal steel spars...re-assembled them again...ADDED THE FINISH COATS OF PAINT AND TRIM.

These models would have been virtually an impossible task to complete on any schedule....if attempted by one indiviual, however we were blessed with a host of amazingly skilled craftsman and aero-engineering folks.
 Without their input I can assure you these models would never have been completed.

Check out these two examples of only about 15 or so of these recognition flutter models that I had the pleasure or PAIN to take part in the process.
last photos
wing construction on actual flutter model wings:
actual 757 flutter model ready to be fitted into the wind tunnel chamber
« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 01:04:35 PM by Shultzie »
Don Shultz

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
Re: Mini scale (working) Desk Display Flutter models
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2007, 01:02:00 AM »
That Dash 80 model is awesome.
Chris...

Offline Al Rabe

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2008, 08:17:18 AM »
Don,

those models are amazing!  Fine job.

Al

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 09:59:50 AM »
GADZUKS!!! GUYS! LOOK HOW MUCH $$$ ONE OF MY OLD RECOGNITION DISPLAY MODELS SOLD FOR...on E bay.This was forwarded to me by some of my wind tunnel friends...

This old mini flutter model was for Ted Fulton....that I and a bunch of my co-workers busted our butts finishing for his retirement party. (similar to another one I made a year later.)
 I molded the models...install the steel fuselage & wing spars, primed painted...cut apart the model for all the installation of inner motor assemblys by the model shop and then--back again to me for the final last glamour paint trim and top coats.

After Ted's passing....it appears that the family chose to E Bay off his many treasured items on EBAY?
Here is a photo of my mentor and friend....Ted Fulton at his desk..

Ted was a world known model design engineer who inventions and years of contributions to the Wind Tunnel and model design are legendary. However his friendship and mentorship was pricess to so many of us nerd-de-well newbe model builders at Boeing.

Many many summa'time noon hours were spent up on the Boeing wind tunnel roof, overlooking Boeing fields runway....I would find myself sharing a lunch with Ted and his many gifted genius engineering peers and fellow modelers, gathered around listening to the "School of Ted Fulton and others like him.
Gads what a skinny kid...I was in this photo. Wow! I think that had to be around 1977 or so??
« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 10:52:25 AM by Shultzie »
Don Shultz

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
  • I am 5 Ft. 8 In., the Taube is 7 Ft. 4 In.
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2008, 02:39:31 PM »
Schultzie
From the look on Ted's face in the lower photo, I wonder what the question was that you just asked!!
Clancy
Clancy Arnold
Indianapolis, IN   AMA 12560 LM-S
U/Tronics Control
U/Control with electronics added.

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2008, 08:36:25 PM »
Schultzie
From the look on Ted's face in the lower photo, I wonder what the question was that you just asked!!
Clancy

LL~ LL~ Kinda has that "HEY SHULTZIE...GET YOUR BUTT BACK TO WORK AND STOP BUGGIN ME..LOOK ON HIS FACE...HUH?
Gads...I gotta dig through my old crap....and see if I can find that sketch that I did for him.
That bring up an old thought....  It was TED who pinned the name "Sketch!" on me. Ted was always "nicknamin" us young newbee model makers in those early daze, days!
These old faded polariods really date me...Wow!
attached is the paint job that I did that was designed by TED FULTON and that model is still in the entry way of the tunnel...(as of last Christmas...but the white has really yellowed from setting there in the afternoon sun.
Hummm? I was amazed that old model still lives? Ted is gone...but he lives in all us "youngins. What  a gifted engineer, teacher, model design gurruuuuu..gone all too soon.
Don Shultz

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here