News:

• April 30, 2024, 04:58:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Mig-3 Rudder rethink? Help!  (Read 2252 times)

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
Mig-3 Rudder rethink? Help!
« on: April 03, 2015, 03:52:02 PM »
This Thread isn't about a model that's true scale, more like semi-scale. Probably even less than that.  n~

Many don't know I've started working on the Mig-3 again. What is the Mig-3?

The Mig-3 Build, for anyone interested, including those members who know nothing of it's existance, is over at
CFC Graphics Vendor's Corner.

I designed this model, way back, and it has undergone some simple and some dramatic changes.

Here's the thing. I'm having issues with the rudder design and I cannot decide what to do. I've really tried.

Bill Little suggested that I remove some material and make the rudder look more like the Mig-3 aircraft.

I gave Bill's recommendation little consideration. At that time the rudder was done and resembled the wingtips, so I was fine.

As I've been doing recent daily tasks, I now find myself giving more considering to Bill's words and suggestion. I just have this feeling about the current rudder design. I'm thinking Bill may have had a good idea.

With that said, I'm asking for your opinion.

These photos will show the model, the model's rudder and the look that Bill suggested.

Thanks in advance.

Charles
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
Re: Mig-3 Rudder rethink? Help!
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2015, 04:07:00 PM »
I have flown several CL models without any rudder at all so the size won't make a difference for a CL model. Make the rudder look like it's the right shape and size for the model and you will be all set.

I put all of my rudders to zero offset, and have flown some models without any rudder at all. The line guide location in relation to the CG location will determine the line tension. The wingtip weight is also a factor. The rudder offset and bellcrank location (to a point) have no factor with the stability of the Cl model.

Fred
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale
Model Aviation CL Scale columnist

Jim Roselle

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2015, 05:05:33 PM »
I say go with Bills suggestion. The current setup looks a little to much the 1950s vision of the year 2000.

Just my opinion of course,

Jim

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2015, 04:17:11 PM »
Well guys, thanks for the feedback, it's appreciated.

As you can see, I took Bill's advice with the help of your input.

Thanks!
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline JIM Nordin

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2015, 10:55:07 PM »
Looks much better

Jim

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2015, 03:08:14 PM »
Looks much better

Jim

Jim,

Thanks.

I should have taken Bill's advice way back with this rudder thing.

Thanks Bill!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here