News:

• May 08, 2024, 12:10:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: MAXEY HESTER, Icon model master has passed....what a legacy he has left.  (Read 600 times)

Offline Shultzie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
Waaaaay back in late 50's...I met Maxey for the first time....at a model shop in DesMoines Iowa.
He helped me dig through the model shops supply of 3/32 balsa...and showed me how to select the right wood grain and choices needed for my models. I will neve forget how the store owner kept warning us that if we didn't reshelf that balsa with the code upright and toward the shelf openings....he would BAN us from sorting through those shelves alone.

Maxey just give the owner that famous BIG WIDE GRIN and told him that we have been fore warned many times before and that he always carefully restacks it with perfection.
As chance would have it....only a few months later at a contest in Ames Iowa...I finally got to see just how beautiful Max's models were made. Although that was soooooooooo many years ago...
I was so proud that MAXEY who had entered stunt that day recognized me and asked how my "El Diablo" modeling project was coming along and if I had remembered to use the C grain and straight grain balsa that he helped me pick out so carefully months before?
YES!
MAXEY GAVE SO MUCH TO THIS WORLD OF MODELING..AND SO MUCH MORE! He will be sorely missed.
My deepest condolences to Hazel and the gang at Sig and to his friends and peers all over the world.
Why not...TODAY...lets GOOGLE UP "MAXEY HESTER" and  www.sigmfg.com and lift up our beloved friend  and friends of Maxey.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 06:34:17 PM by Shultzie »
Don Shultz

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
Re: MAXEY HESTER, Icon model master has passed....what a legacy he has left.
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 05:25:44 PM »
I waited too long time to write on this thread. Maxey was a great host, along with hostess Hazel, to the C/L constituency during their annual contests at Sig Field.
Maxey also took my children for rides in the Space Walker II at Sig Field when they were little kids.
The models that I wanted during my childhood often were Maxey's designs. Models way beyond my means, but provided dreams for a lifetime. Like Claude McCullough's Yak-18PM, Maxey's P-63 was my dream ship. A small drawing from some long ago magazine stayed in my mind. So today I build my Sterling P-63 King Cobra designed by our friend Maxey Hester!
Hoping for a first flight in November, my old derelict hand me down King Cobra is shown here with it's engine mounted and almost ready, for some more work!
Thanks Maxey, for all of those dreams. 

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here