News:

• April 27, 2024, 01:19:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Luftwaffe Camo  (Read 10420 times)

Rick_Huff

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Luftwaffe Camo
« Reply #50 on: March 28, 2016, 01:46:32 PM »
It's most of the way painted, just need to finish the iron cross and letters on the fuselage, add my AMA number and apply the clear.  It's going to be too cold to paint for a few days, so I thought I show the progress so far. 
Question:  Is it better to remove all the masking off the canopy prior to clear coat?  Seems like it would leave less tape edges, but I'm not sure if the auto clear coat would do bad things to the canopy.
Rick

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #51 on: March 28, 2016, 05:02:30 PM »
Beautiful, Rick. I would remove the canopy masking and clear the whole of the model. I do it all of the time and up until recently used dope and lacquer in which would be much more harmful to a plastic canopy. The auto clear will not affect it negatively. You're right about the masking edges being softened.
Can't wait to see more.
Chris...

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #52 on: March 28, 2016, 07:00:58 PM »
Rick,

Outstanding!  H^^

What a nice looking model, and more to go.

OK, so what did you finally do to acheive those great camo color separations?

Nice photo too, expands nicely!

Charles

Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Rick_Huff

« Reply #53 on: March 29, 2016, 02:01:44 PM »
Thanks, Charles.
For the fuselage, I used the airbrush freehand.  For the wing, stab and elevator panels I was going to use the "clay snake" method you described, but wondered about any residue left by the clay.  I decided to put some vinyl tape down first, then remembered that I had a roll of thick double stick picture hanging tape, so I used that.  I sprayed at an angle to the (over) the tape and it left a nice slightly soft edge.  Just what I was looking for. 
Rick

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #54 on: March 29, 2016, 09:06:41 PM »
Rick,

Yes, you did an excelent job!  H^^ H^^

The "Snake" thing is for curves. You have straight lines on the wing, so a tape roll back would have been another choice.

I'm really looking forward to seeing this model finished.

Warbird Stunt!

Charles
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #55 on: April 15, 2016, 04:15:27 PM »
Rick,

It's been a few weeks.

How's that model comming along?

Did you get clear on it?

Charles

Rick_Huff

« Reply #56 on: April 16, 2016, 02:43:16 PM »
It's been cleared and I'm polishing it out now.  I'll post a photo when I'm finished polishing. 
Rick

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #57 on: April 16, 2016, 02:49:44 PM »
It's been cleared and I'm polishing it out now.  I'll post a photo when I'm finished polishing. 
Rick

Rick,

With a "Huff and a puff."

You're polishing?

You cleared the model with what clear?

Sanded all the orange peel?

Polishing by hand?

Wow!  H^^ H^^

Charles

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here