News:

• April 30, 2024, 09:33:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Line Clips  (Read 885 times)

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Line Clips
« on: May 25, 2009, 09:21:58 AM »
Last summer at the St Louis scale contest I was told that sliding line clips (see photo) were not legal at AMA contest. Is this true?  Also my Extra 300 weighs 8 lb +.  With the 10 G pull test rule does this mean I have to pull test 80 lb or is their a max?  I believe the airplane can do it but I am not sure I am man enough to pull 80 lbs.  LL~
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline chuck snyder

• Commander
Re: Line Clips
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 03:12:07 PM »
John, check out the rule book on the AMA web site. If your model is 8.00# the pull test is 6 g, at 8.01# it drops to 5 g. Check the line length requirements too, that's something that I had not noticed during the pull test emergency rules changes a year or so ago.

If the connectors are illegal, I have never been able to find the citation. And I have flown a lot of "illegal" scale flights.

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2009, 04:19:13 PM »
John, check out the rule book on the AMA web site. If your model is 8.00# the pull test is 6 g, at 8.01# it drops to 5 g. Check the line length requirements too, that's something that I had not noticed during the pull test emergency rules changes a year or so ago.

If the connectors are illegal, I have never been able to find the citation. And I have flown a lot of "illegal" scale flights.

Thanks!  My model is over 8 lb  Last time I weighed it it came in at 8 lb 14 Oz.  50 lb pull test ain't no big deal - that why it weighs over 8 lb.   LL~  LL~

I am not a big fan of the slide claps clips but the Brodak snap clips are hard to disconnect.  Some one should invent a tool to remove the buggers. 
John Rist
AMA 56277

Online James Lee

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 07:50:23 AM »
John
The manufacturers stated capacity on the slider type line clips is sometimes less than the required pull test and is sometimes considered not adequate even if it does pass the pull test......   IMHO
Thanks
Jim

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 11:36:18 AM »
The slide clips may be banned in some Speed and Racing events, but they're OK in everything else. 

In the MANY disasterous crashes we have in Combat, those clips DO straighten out in some cases, but only in collisions that doesn't leave anything to fly away.  If we used bulletproof clips, we would just break more lines and leadouts in this type of dustup.
Paul Smith

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2009, 02:02:48 PM »
John,
The scissors type clips aren't hard to remove at all if you pull them to the side instead of pinching them together.  Pinch them togehter to install, pull them apart to remove.  I wouldn't use a slide type clip if they held a gun to my head.
Blessings,
Will
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2009, 08:51:27 PM »
In reallity the only times I ever seen the slide clips fail, is because the person usually forgot to close them to begin with.  Watched a brad new stunter go in on it's first flight because of that.  The other clip was about to straighten out when the plane went in.   I use the scissor clips because I think they are safer.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2009, 09:30:38 PM »
From the Control Line General rules:

5.1. Each load-bearing line connector shall have a test rating equal to at least the total pull test required on the model (i.e., if the model requires a 40-pound pull test, the connectors will have to be test rated at a minimum of 40 pounds each). The burden of proof of the test ratings of line connectors shall be the contestant’s responsibility. Test ratings on factory-packed connectors will be considered as acceptable proof.

So the sliding lock connectors are NOT banned, however they are not adequate for many contest pull tests.  The large size Slide-Lock Connectors used to have a 50 lb. rating printed on the package so any model that required more than a 50 lb. pull test cannot use this type of connector - unless you have a package which states more than 50 lb.

The large size scissors connectors have a 100 lb. rating, IIRC and there is an even larger size scissors connector available (from MBS and others, probably) which I don't know the rating of but which is more than adequate for any possible pull test in the present rule book.
Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2009, 06:36:06 AM »
There won't be many legal entries left if all the competators are required to produce hard documentation for every item in the control system.  Most of the stuff is sold by a few well-trusted suppliers who provide neither paperwork nor packaging.

I venture to say that if one contestant that was disallowed under that "rule", he would be well within his rights to demand that all others produce documentation for their clips and gizmos.

Better to forget that business and let the pull test do it's job.

If we're about to allow 23.9 ounce stunters to fly on .008" line and Fast Combat on fish line, slider clips are the least of our troubles.
Paul Smith

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2009, 10:50:34 AM »
I can remember at the 70 NATS flying Carrier I had to pull 118 pounds.  It was nothing for me at the time.  I do not remember when the pull tests changed.  But, I was using the slide clips at that time as that was all we  had.  I have yet to have a scissor type clip come loose.  I still see people using the slide clips in stunt.  Have not been around the carrier area enough lately to know about them.   DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2009, 04:07:09 PM »
There won't be many legal entries left if all the competators are required to produce hard documentation for every item in the control system.  Most of the stuff is sold by a few well-trusted suppliers who provide neither paperwork nor packaging.

I venture to say that if one contestant that was disallowed under that "rule", he would be well within his rights to demand that all others produce documentation for their clips and gizmos.

Better to forget that business and let the pull test do it's job.

If we're about to allow 23.9 ounce stunters to fly on .008" line and Fast Combat on fish line, slider clips are the least of our troubles.

Why do you put rule in quote marks?  The rule is the rule - has been since at least the early '70's - it is also quite simple to interpret.  The sliding clips are not adequate for some pull tests -- the burden of proof is on the contestant -- if you bring a profile carrier plane to the circle that weighs more than 2.5 lbs, you cannot use the sliding clip type connectors.  If you bring a combat plane to a match, you can.

As for the competitor demanding anything, it is not his call.  If the event staff and judges are familiar with the ratings on the various devices, they are well within THEIR rights to rely on that knowledge.

I've never had to disallow any competitor in Navy Carrier because they all knew the rule.  But if I had seen that type of connector I would have double-checked the required pull test and then done what the rule requires.  Pull test or no pull test, as the ED or CD it's MY liability on the line.

I merely posted because there were several posts that indicated a lack of knowledge about where in the rule book certain paragraphs are located - yours included.  Also, I wanted to emphasize that no connectors  (other than fishing swivels) are specifically banned in any event - only that there are some circumstances where they are inadequate to meet the requirements of the "rule".

Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline clscale7

• Ensign
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2009, 10:51:46 AM »
I witnessed a CL model let loose from the lines at full tension because the slider portion of that clip was not in the correct location. I use a different line clip that is more difficult to get off, but I still have my models, small price to pay.

Bottom line the connector you photographed can be a problem if not clipped correctly. The sliding portion of the clip has to be in the center capturing both sides of the clip. if the slider is off to one side the wire can bend open allowing the model to become loose. In my case the model came within 15 feet of our heads when the model let loose. The only thing the pilot was holding after the model crashed was the handle and two lines.

I won't use those connectors.
Fred Cronenwett
CL scale

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here