News:

• May 03, 2024, 06:02:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: KYO B-29  (Read 1611 times)

Offline tom brightbill

• 2018 Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
KYO B-29
« on: August 27, 2014, 05:27:56 PM »
I just acquired this kit.  I'm curious to know if it is worth building, and if so, any recommendations if per plans is OK, or are mods needed? Thanks.
AMA 34849

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
Re: KYO B-29
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 08:03:16 PM »
Last time I checked the wing was pushed too far aft, you might check with a good 3-view. Ed Mason has flown one of these before, make sure the weight is under 12 lbs. I fly a 96" span Profile B-29 that weighs 13 lbs and flies like a glider.

Fred
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale
Model Aviation CL Scale columnist

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 08:07:07 PM »
Somewhere I have an article on building scale models for competition.  It starts out by saying "get the 3-view you intend to compete with, and build to that".  Maybe it's more than one article and they all say the same thing -- I dunno.

But if you're going to distract yourself from stunt to fly scale, do it right!
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 08:33:46 PM »
This is an article I wrote about what research you need to do before you build a scale model. Remember if you want to compete in CL scale, the documentation is key and can make a huge difference in your static score, with good documentation with a great model you can do well. Even a great model with poor documentation will suffer because of the documentation.

Fred
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale

Offline Richard Davis

• AV8TR1
  • New Pilot
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2014, 01:24:39 PM »
I have 2 of these KYO  B-29 kits and 1 Eureka B-29
These kits are good if properly built.
Over the years I have found Ambroid glue to be the best to use on these kits.
I think build as light as you can balance properly and I bet this would fly with 4 good 15 sized engines.
These kits all suffer from the Starved Pony Syndrome and need extra bulkheads in the Fuselage to stop the planking from dishing in after time goes on.
The best thing to do would be to use the kit for patterns and use modern light ply and aircraft grade plywood  and keep the kit intact.

Offline tom brightbill

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2014, 11:54:43 AM »
Thanks Fred and Richard. Tim makes a good point, I think that I will just put it on the shelf for now until the quality of my finishing abilities vastly improves.
AMA 34849

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2014, 12:03:56 PM »
Thanks Fred and Richard. Tim makes a good point, I think that I will just put it on the shelf for now until the quality of my finishing abilities vastly improves.

Oh god, I should have kept my mouth shut.  Tom, you can't do it well until you do it crappy!  If you can't bear to build the kit, then scratch-build a set of surfaces off of the plan, whack out a profile fuselage and nacelles from 1/2" balsa (correcting any side-view errors in the process), and put together a profile plane.  Then bring it to whatever scale contests we have out here and watch Mark Scarborough and Pat Johnson trying to be diplomatic when they give you your score.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2014, 08:22:47 PM »
Build what you got and I have learned something from every contest I have been to. I look back at my first attempts building scale moels, but if I hadn't built those first models I wouldn't have learned what I know today. Tim is right, do the best you can and every time you build a new model it gets better every time.  I always learn something new from every contest I go to even today. My first attempt had lots of flaws and even today I still don't get everything right.

Don't give up! Build the B-29 to the best of your talents and have some fun. Push the wing forward to match the 3-view and it will be fine. Ed Mason has flown one of the these model with success. I will be flying my B-29 in two weeks at our local contest here in St Louis and really enjoy seeing all four motors turning. When she lifts off it's a sight I enjoy. I built the model first for me to have fun, and then contests were secondary.

Enjoy!
Fred
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here