News:

• May 01, 2024, 02:39:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Is it time to put aside F4B and use The AMA Rule Book?  (Read 732 times)

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Is it time to put aside F4B and use The AMA Rule Book?
« on: April 10, 2009, 05:36:27 PM »
Over the past few years, quite a few local contests in both the USA and Canada used F4B rules for Sport Scale in lieu of the AMA or MAAC Rules Books.  The idea was to give the flyers interested in the national teams a chance to practice and prepare for the Team Trials and World Championships. 

While I had no intention of entering a TT, I was willing to put with the more complex rules if that was what the organizers wanted.  But now, the FAI has dropped the event due to lack of attendance at the WC, so there's no TT, no WC, and no need to practice.

So I suggest that local organizers take the FAI's lead and declare the horse dead, and go back to using the national rule books. 

While F4B rules are not exactly "unliveable", they are are outside the reach of our Contest Board system, and will effectively be abandoned by an international committee whose only surviving event is RC.  The F4B Rules are several times as long as the AMA Rules. 

This planet (Earth), could not come up with five flyers from five different nations who wanted to fly the event.   That says it all.  So let's not try to restart it by pushing it uphill.  Better to use AMA Rules or develope a new local event with more participation.

Paul Smith

Online Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Is it time to put aside F4B and use The AMA Rule Book?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2009, 06:41:02 PM »
I will copy a recent post on this same subject:

Is there something written somewhere that states that the FAI CL Scale is really gone?  Or is it that it has just been canceled from the schedule this cycle?

This is not the first time that CL Scale has been canceled from the World Championship schedule for lack of entries to qualify for a World Championship competition.  It happened when the Scale Championships were held in Canada in whichever year it was, like in 1980 or 1981.

Keith

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2009, 10:00:27 AM »
I guess, in theory, whoever hosts the 2012 WC could put F4B on the schedule, and it five nations sign up, it would be resurrected.  But considering the lack of participation when it was a "solid" event, it seems like the odds of that are slim.  Then again, maybe the 2012 WC will be at a venue where five nations are in easy range of surface travel and lightning will strike.

In the interium:

FAI scale rules are 82 pages long, of which 42 pages relate to CL.
AMA scale rules are 29 pages long, of which 14 pages relate to CL.
Furthermore, AMA rules are written in Yankee English by a committee of our peers. 
FAI rules were assembled by a multinational committee and translated into a convoluted version of The King's English that's not so easy to comprehend.

So I suggest that, at least until F4B gets back on the menu, we make life easy and use our own rules.

Paul Smith

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 08:11:42 AM »
I guess, in theory, whoever hosts the 2012 WC could put F4B on the schedule, and it five nations sign up, it would be resurrected.  But considering the lack of participation when it was a "solid" event, it seems like the odds of that are slim.  Then again, maybe the 2012 WC will be at a venue where five nations are in easy range of surface travel and lightning will strike.

In the interium:

FAI scale rules are 82 pages long, of which 42 pages relate to CL.
AMA scale rules are 29 pages long, of which 14 pages relate to CL.
Furthermore, AMA rules are written in Yankee English by a committee of our peers. 
FAI rules were assembled by a multinational committee and translated into a convoluted version of The King's English that's not so easy to comprehend.

So I suggest that, at least until F4B gets back on the menu, we make life easy and use our own rules.

ADD my yes to the above!  H^^

However, I am new to scale so what do I know.  But to me anything that would promote more US contests with more turn out is the answer I would chose.  Besides I have read and am building to the AMA rules. It's not likely that I would ever show up at an FIA contest.

S?P  S?P  S?P   S?P      S?P                  S?P
John Rist
AMA 56277

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here