News:

• May 09, 2024, 10:23:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Help! Rearwin Speedster three-views  (Read 1564 times)

Offline Jim Fruit

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Help! Rearwin Speedster three-views
« on: November 16, 2011, 11:45:26 AM »
Guys:

I need your help! I am searching for a set of legitimate three-views for a Rearwin Speedster 6000. I have plenty of documentation photos from the Oshkosh Air Venture, but I can't seem to find any three-views. I am still working on my next subject, but I am looking ahead because this sort of thing is what usually takes so long.

I know that the AMA rules allow photographs for proof of outline, but I did that in the past with a clip-winged Monocoupe. Even though the rules allowed the photographs only, the judges inevitably took exception to there being no three-views. So, once warned (or however that goes).

The AMA plans service has many (bunches) plans for all phases of the hobby for a Rearwin Speedster. However, those are all just plans and I don't need that as I will make my own. I did find a three-view on the internet, but it was done with the background in black and the image in red. This was done, no doubt, so that one could not reproduce the image. I did print that image and I don't believe the judges would accept it.

I am posing this to all of you because this is what I believe makes this website so great. It is so far-reaching and I am betting that someone out there will have more success than I.

Jim Fruit

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Help! Rearwin Speedster three-views
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 12:01:53 PM »
Bob Banka 3-views # Sb 2803 and Sb 60123?
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Jim Fruit

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2011, 02:26:30 PM »
Bob Banka 3-views # Sb 2803 and Sb 60123?

Tim:

Ordered! Thank you! Now I feel like a dope, just too simple. Aren't you the one that put me on to Bob's photos for the Beech D-18? I ordered some of those photos from him. They were a little too generic for me. I could understand that in that Bob would do sort of a "walkaround" approach to the photos. When I do a photo shoot I concentrate more on the details. 3-views, however, are 3-views. Hopefully they will do the job. Again, thank you very much.

Jim Fruit

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2011, 02:55:05 PM »
Jim,

There's a 3-view on line but I was unable to turn the thing into a JPEG. Tried four times to upload it with no results.

I also stumbled onto a Rearwin Speedster website. I just Googled it.

CB
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2011, 03:02:35 PM »
Ordered! Thank you! Now I feel like a dope, just too simple.

Think nothing of it.  I do that sort of thing all the time.

Aren't you the one that put me on to Bob's photos for the Beech D-18? I ordered some of those photos from him. They were a little too generic for me. I could understand that in that Bob would do sort of a "walkaround" approach to the photos. When I do a photo shoot I concentrate more on the details. 3-views, however, are 3-views. Hopefully they will do the job. Again, thank you very much.

I may have been.  I spend a lot of time drooling on his catalog, although not much time actually ordering.  I haven't gotten any of his photo packs.

Did you talk to the man himself?  My understanding is that you can call and tell him what you want, and get some guidance (probably to a more-expensive photo-pack, but that's part of the job).  He certainly seems to have a variety of packs for the more popular airplanes, so some shopping is probably in order.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2011, 03:07:14 PM »
I found this in my files....

Fred C.

Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale
Model Aviation CL Scale columnist

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2011, 03:18:38 PM »
Jim,

When I lived in southern california I use to go to airshows with Bob Banka. He can help you figure out what is the best photopack and 3-view for your needs. He has a huge collection. But when you do call be specific on what your goal is, in other words don't ask for help on what AT-6 photopack to get. Be specific in terms of yellow AT-6's with the 6 window or 3 window canopy, SNJ vs AT-6 markings...stuff like that. Also tell if the model is for fun, sport or precision scale.

When I shot pictures for him we targeted some airplanes for sport scale with general walk around and some details and some airplanes got the full treatment. I shot an Aeronca LCW, 5 rolls of fill later he a super detail photopack for a precision scale model.

Good luck and land softly,
Fred Cronenwett
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale

Offline Jim Fruit

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2011, 04:14:31 PM »
I found this in my files....

Fred C.

Fred:

That's it, that's it! Fantastic! The only difference is the preparation of the windshield. The particular airplane that I want to do is one that was restored for Rearwin's great grandson. It was at the Oshkosh Air Venture this year. The restorer did a three flat pane windshield rather that a hot-blown windshield. Very sexy.

I have already ordered some 3-views from Bob Banka, but what you forwarded is just what I needed, thanks. My current project is a somewhat complicated multi-engined project. I thought my next should be something where I step back to simple.

Sort of interesting is the fact that, while not evident in the post that you sent, when I printed your three view, I could read printing from the back of the page in the image. No big deal, the judges will just have to live with it. Thanks again.

Jim Fruit

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2011, 04:26:15 PM »
You can take out print-through like that with Gimp or Photoshop -- if you want to learn to use a new tool, that is.  I've been experimenting with Gimp for decals.  It's not for the faint at heart, but it'll do just about anything.
AMA 64232

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2011, 06:08:04 PM »
I'll get a copy of the 3-view so that the text does not come thru so that when It comes time for the documentation package it will be clean. The scan was made from the original magazine page which has text on the  back side. Reply back to my E-mail with an address and I'll send you a copy in the snail mail that will be cleaner.

I have been collectiing documentation for all sorts of aircraft, sometimes it pays off...

Fred
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale

Offline John Kelly

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2011, 09:37:55 PM »
The one Eric found around 2004 in Washington
AMA 11416

Offline Jim Fruit

• Commander
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2011, 09:20:17 PM »
The one Eric found around 2004 in Washington

John:

I am just a little confused by your post.

You indicate "Eric found around 2004". The picture that you included actually is of the Speedster that I want to do and it also was taken at Oshkosh this summer. Is the Eric that you refer to actually Mr. Laird? The 2004 would make sense. I understand that Mr. Laird is actually not a pilot and he had the Speedster restored professionally. It was beautiful and I took a lot of pictures. Just the kind of one off subjects that I like to do.

Jim Fruit

Offline John Kelly

• Commander
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2011, 03:02:56 PM »
   Hey Jim, The pic I posted was found when I typed in "Rearwin Speedster 6000" in my search and clicked on "Speedster is all in the family". Eric Rearwin,the grandson, is the Eric I meant. The Laird I'm familiar with is E.M. "Mattie" Laird, of Laird Solution and Laird Speedwing fame. Sorry for the confusion, I'll try to be a little more specific in future posts. I've always really liked that bird and look forward to hearing about and hopefully see some pic's of your build.
AMA 11416

Offline Jim Fruit

• Commander
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2011, 06:07:29 PM »
John:

It was not your being specific, it was my old brain sticking. I know who Matty Laird is, I spent the last fifteen years researching his Super Solution and eventually donated the resulting model to the EAA museum this summer. I am the one who is causing the confusion by typing "Laird" when I really meant "Rearwin". Sorry. Do you know Mr. rearwin personally?

Jim Fruit

Offline John Kelly

• Commander
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2011, 10:23:20 PM »
   Hey Jim,  Have to laugh... my brain sticks once in awhile also but at 64 I'm just glad it doesn't get stuck! Eric is one of the many "heroes" I'd like to meet before I go but up till now the opportunity hasn't presented itself. I've been interested in racing, both planes and cars as long as I can remember thanks to my dad. The only racing I've ever done was with an old 356SC Porsche in the mid seventies with the Metro PCA. The Laird Solution has been one of my favorites as well as Ben Howard's planes. I do tend to favor the bipes though. I've enjoyed watching Ukie and R/C scale as far back as the 1960 Mirror Meet but mostly fly sport stunt myself. Hopefully some day I'll get to go to the full scale races and shows.
AMA 11416

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here