News:

• May 09, 2024, 01:25:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fuselage Plug!!  (Read 789 times)

Offline Neville Legg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Fuselage Plug!!
« on: June 22, 2010, 12:32:22 PM »
Now, for many years I've had a desire to build a Hawker Fury 1. That is the classic 1930's biplane always with the highly polished cowling panels. My intention would be to make the whole front fuselage from glass fibre! Now, as this model would be about 1/5 scale, this would be rather a large plug? To make it from balsa would need a mortgage ;D I thought about high density foam, then glass fibre on top, but we're getting expensive again. Has anyone made a large fuselage plug, I'm not worried about putting detail on it, this can be done with litho plate panels later. Jelutong is the pattern makers wood of choice, but hard to to obtain here. Any Ideas? ???

Cheers     Neville
"I think, therefore I have problems"

(not) Descartes

Offline chuck snyder

• Commander
Re: Fuselage Plug!!
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 01:58:50 PM »
Neville,
I built my Hs-129 fuselage by laying up glass over a male foam plug, then removed the foam from the inside. Probably less work than a plug and a mold, but heavier. I have made several smaller plugs from cheap stuff like pine or foam and then finished with a relatively thick layer of Bondo polyester putty. You can get a great finish with the
Bondo and primer.

Over on www.rcscalebuilder.com there is a Fury build that includes a mold for the front end. Check the "scratch built" set of threads. Being done by Gwyn Avenell of New Zealand who I met at the World Scale Championships in Sweden 2006. He built an SBD marked as one flown by his neighbor in WWII. Turns out his neighbor probably flew some of the same strikes as my Father who was a Marine SBD gunner on the same island at the same time. Dad had lots of respect for the Kiwi's. Small world, huh.

Chuck Snyder

Offline Neville Legg

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 02:20:35 PM »
Chuck, thanks for your reply. I though about using pine, but it has a lot of knots in it. I can't find the Fury thread on RCscalebuilder though!

Cheers    Neville

(not) Descartes

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2010, 02:23:57 PM »
Now, for many years I've had a desire to build a Hawker Fury 1. That is the classic 1930's biplane always with the highly polished cowling panels. My intention would be to make the whole front fuselage from glass fibre! Now, as this model would be about 1/5 scale, this would be rather a large plug? To make it from balsa would need a mortgage ;D I thought about high density foam, then glass fibre on top, but we're getting expensive again. Has anyone made a large fuselage plug, I'm not worried about putting detail on it, this can be done with litho plate panels later. Jelutong is the pattern makers wood of choice, but hard to to obtain here. Any Ideas? ???
The plug can be any old thing that'll hold up to pulling the part (or female mold) from it.  Weight doesn't matter, so balsa is a poor choice.  Use foam if you like how it carves -- polyurethane may be good, as it's easier to sand than styrofoam.

I'm surprised at your statement about 'glass being expensive on the male plug -- but then, I haven't priced it lately!  You _don't_ need to use the same glass for the plug that you'd need for the fuse!  I'd go to my brother's fiberglass shop and beg some from him; if not I'd go to Tap Plastics and see what the absolute cheapest stuff they had cost.

Alternately, consider making the plug out of whatever wood you can scrounge (i.e. old pallets, studs from you ex-wife's house, etc.), cut to rough shape & glued together, then slathered with polyester body filler (Bondo in the US) and sanded to final shape.  Get some polyester catalyzed primer to squirt as a final coat (or find a paint shop that has it) -- that stuff sands easy, and is strong enough that you can wax it and pull a part off of it.  You may well damage the plug, but you'll get a good part.

If you want to make more than one, make a really, really nice plug then pull a female mold, then start making parts.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline chuck snyder

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2010, 07:39:46 AM »

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2010, 11:31:35 AM »
I just finished a Tri-Pacer cowling that is 9" deep and around 18" around at the back.  I used blue foam, sanded it smooth after shaping and then applied two coats of Z-Poxy, sanding between coats.  Then I filled any little imperfections and applied two more coats of epoxy.  It made a really nice smooth buck/plug.  I used a plaster mold for the female mold, but screwed up on the release agent and had to destroy the mold to save the cowl.  But the male plug is great, ready for my second plane when this one is done.
Will
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2010, 08:14:52 AM »
M.D.F. or high desity cardboard as its known in the trade ! that ground up chips board.

Unidirectional ,or NO grain. Also LINES can be drawn in marker pen , if its all dowelled , for contours.

Now , some highly detailed drawings of the high speed (tapered wing ? ! ) version from one of the OLD

American magazines  are secreted away somewhere in the 'Bi-Planes' file if youve not seen em .

Offline Neville Legg

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2010, 10:34:04 AM »
I think MDF would be far to heavy to move about at 1/5 scale!, even for a plug! I think an egg crate of cheap ply filled with foam will have to be the answer!

Cheers  Neville

(not) Descartes

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2010, 01:26:14 PM »
If I remember right,  Al Rabe had a series of posts on how he did the forms for his Bearcats.  I think he used wood formers with foam in between.  Then a casting compound that was easy to file/sand.  It is over in the archives of SSW.  H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here