News:

• April 27, 2024, 09:56:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: flying points  (Read 2240 times)

Offline bob whitney

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
flying points
« on: March 23, 2015, 09:22:39 AM »

OK it has been a little quiet here lately i  fly profile scale with a fully stuntable plane .my concern is that someone can do a high fly which is a couple of laps at about 30 deg and get max points if i do a fig 8 ,or loop i am taking a bigger chance of getting it perfect so why should i do it ,i can do the same old high fly and get my max points

i feel there should be a K factor to get more points for doing something hard ,that way u can fly to the ability of u or your plane and get paid for it
rad racer

Offline eric david conley

• Captain
Re: flying points
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2015, 03:48:15 PM »
Gee, will we all have to start building stuntable scale planes to compete in scale now. And then what, will the guy that makes the best figure 8 get more points than the other guy that does a figure 8 because his was better? I sure hope not.  Eric
Eric

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2015, 04:24:11 PM »
The rules are set up now for CL scale that you must be able to come to a complete stop with the engine at idle. This basically requires that you have throttle control (does not apply to 1/2a scale). You have 6 options that you can pick (some are worth 2 options).  But judges will also look to the Full size aircraft and see if that option makes sense.

You can pick any option you want as long as the full size was capable of doing the option. For example I can't call out inverted flight with my B-29 because the full size was not capable of inverted flight. Pick 6 options that work for your type of model and what you are comfortable doing. Most folks don't do aerobatics because most CL scale models are too heavy.

Throttle control - 1 option
Touch and go - 2 options
Taxi - 1 option
Overshoot - 1 option
Retracts - 2 options
Wing over - 1 option
flaps - 1 option
High flight - 1 option

pick any combination that adds up to 6 options and CL scale does not have anything that puts a K factor on more difficult options

Fred
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale
Model Aviation CL Scale columnist

Offline Jim Fruit

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2015, 06:28:15 PM »

OK it has been a little quiet here lately i  fly profile scale with a fully stuntable plane .my concern is that someone can do a high fly which is a couple of laps at about 30 deg and get max points if i do a fig 8 ,or loop i am taking a bigger chance of getting it perfect so why should i do it ,i can do the same old high fly and get my max points

i feel there should be a K factor to get more points for doing something hard ,that way u can fly to the ability of u or your plane and get paid for it

Bob:

I know, picky,picky, but: The High Flight maneuver should be performed between 30 degrees and 60 degrees, with the optimal being at 45 degrees. 30 degrees will be considered too low and 60 degrees will be considered too high, with each possibly scoring very low. Also, the High Flight maneuver is for three full laps, not just a couple. When one calls for the start of High Flight, one should be at full High Flight elevation, not starting at the level flight elevation. When one calls the maneuver as complete, he should also still be at full height, only coming down to level flight after completing the maneuver. If one were to assume 60' flying lines, times the sine of a 45 degree angle (approx. 0.7) plus the height of a pilot, the model should be flying at about 47' height throughout the maneuver (5 stories). My biggest problem with the High Flight maneuver is that, the older I get, the more dizzy I get while the plane is elevated. I fully expect to be on my butt at some contest in the future.

Jim Fruit

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2015, 03:36:08 PM »
Keep in mind also that all of these options are kept in mind while scoring the "realism of flight" score.  You go out there with a stunt ship and do a figure eight, chances are it won't get you a good realism score because of the lack of seeing full scale ships do the eights, even though some are capable.  I know, that seems crazy, but how many eights have you actually seen done like a stunt ship does them?  I have attended (and also hosted) several airshows and have never seen an eight like the stunters do.  That includes the likes of Soucy, Hilliard and such.  (Probably misspelled their names, but they are still the real deal.)
The realism of flight score is very important in the final score total.
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2015, 12:23:16 PM »
I used to do them for fun after a practice sequence in my S-1 Pitts. Even the Four Leaf. Easy, fun to do, and all the old C/L guys would laugh and say, "Hey, I used to do that." Outsides make my head hurt.
Chris...

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2015, 12:41:34 PM »
The rules are set up now for CL scale that you must be able to come to a complete stop with the engine at idle. This basically requires that you have throttle control (does not apply to 1/2a scale). You have 6 options that you can pick (some are worth 2 options).  But judges will also look to the Full size aircraft and see if that option makes sense.

You can pick any option you want as long as the full size was capable of doing the option. For example I can't call out inverted flight with my B-29 because the full size was not capable of inverted flight. Pick 6 options that work for your type of model and what you are comfortable doing. Most folks don't do aerobatics because most CL scale models are too heavy.

Throttle control - 1 option
Touch and go - 2 options
Taxi - 1 option
Overshoot - 1 option
Retracts - 2 options
Wing over - 1 option
flaps - 1 option
High flight - 1 option

pick any combination that adds up to 6 options and CL scale does not have anything that puts a K factor on more difficult options

Fred

With fixed gear and no flaps, the only stunt you'd need to do to get to 6 flight options would be a wing over.  So, I don't see the need for stunts.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2015, 07:15:43 PM »
And another easy one is Multi-engine, that is worth 1 option, but all of the engines (or motors) have to run the full flight to get full points.

Flaps are an easy 1 option and also add to the realism

Fred
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale
Model Aviation CL Scale columnist

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here