News:

• May 02, 2024, 09:11:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: FLYING CIRCUS SCALE POSTAL CONTEST?  (Read 692 times)

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
FLYING CIRCUS SCALE POSTAL CONTEST?
« on: September 25, 2007, 08:06:08 AM »
          At a board meeting, at Black Hawk Models, where we were talking about sponsoring a Perky Postal contest, and we all agreed that it would be a boost for the speed fliers, an idea was born "Would a scale postal contest be possible and would it help promote Scale modeling?" After tossing this idea about for a bit we came up with some ideas about it. The advantage of this contest is that instead of having the same models that show up at every meet and take all of the trophies, every one will have to compete with the same model. That means you will need to build this winter. We are hoping that this will bring more people into the contest because they will not have to compete with those professionally built models, they will have a fair chance to build a nice looking model and win a nice trophy.

Proposed rules:

Contest ends August 11, 2008
Award: First place Picture of model w/builders name on box label.
          Second and Third place Certificates

Plane: Black Hawk Models "Fokker D-7"
Building and painting is wide open to modification.

Documentation: Any modifications or additions to the kit must be documented, and the paint scheme must have been used on a real Fokker D-7.

Judging: Will be done by a panel of Black Hawk Models employees.
There will be NO flying points awarded for the model, only static appearance points.

To Enter send:
Name
Address
Information you want the judges to know about the model
Several photos to show everything that you want considered by the judges.
Any documentation for modifications and paint scheme.

So, what do you think? Are you interested?
Larry
« Last Edit: November 19, 2007, 10:11:05 AM by LARRY RICE »

Offline Leroy Heikes

• Commander
Re: FLYING CIRCUS SCALE POSTAL CONTEST?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2007, 10:05:41 AM »
Well since I have two of those kits waiting to be given to nephews for Christmas I would be interested. They should be able to get them done by the dead line. <= <= <=

Leroy

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2007, 11:49:01 AM »
The kits are cheap.....this months special at Sam's Stuff and Hobbies .......$58.00
This type of contest will give the old pro's a chance to show what they can do in a limited amount of time and still allow the newbie a chance. As a scale builder I know that planes are campaigned from season to season. If a ME 109 beats you in one contest you will see it again and again at every contest you attend...often for years. Here we are all on equal footing, same plane, same amount of time.....only skill will decide.
Larry

Offline nobler

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2007, 10:24:41 AM »
I will do one of the D-7s. Currell

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2007, 02:10:21 PM »
With only two people there does not seem to be enough interrest.
Larry

Offline L0U CRANE

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2007, 01:39:47 AM »
Larry,

Since we deal with flyable models, mostly, at least here, I'd be more interested if there were a 'qualifying flight' requirement, as Mike Keville had with his multi-engine 1/2A profile scale meet in Tuscon, AZ, last month.

A certificate from two other AMA current members as to witnessing 10 or more laps of flight?

Airplanes are things that fly. Model airplanes are airplanes.

I'm just hoping to stimulate interest...
\BEST\LOU

Offline Leroy Heikes

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2007, 05:06:22 AM »
Larry;
    Go ahead and schedule it! "Scale" back on the prizes just give certificates, and a photo spot on your web page. I think there are more people interested then are posting. After Christams when the kids start we can post a building topic. As for Lou comments about flying lots of people enter their scale models at Toledo, which is just a static competition. I have entered my models in a static only competition before. It is just as much fun as a flying event.

Leroy

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2007, 10:16:31 AM »
OK! YOUR ON!! Note the date and prize have changed. So now it is up to YOU. Lets get some more people interested. The new first prize box label will be on the kits for at least 1 year. Get your kit, a camera, and some glue.
Larry

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here