News:

• April 30, 2024, 11:44:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Extra 300S  (Read 2593 times)

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Extra 300S
« on: July 01, 2008, 07:40:21 PM »
I am building an Extra 300S for Standoff scale.  I hope to make the 08 NATS.  It all depends if I can get to fly.  It will have a 60" wingspan and be powered by a ST 90. The reason I chose the Extra 300S is that I am hoping that it will be really good in the air.

The deal is that I just realized that the stabilizer on the real bird has an airfoil cross section.  The scale documentation I have makes this quite clear.  The GP kit I am using has a slab stabilizer.  Even at 15' it will be evident that that the cross section of the stabilizer is not scale. Is this a big deal in Standoff scale judging?

John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline chuck snyder

• Commander
Re: Extra 300S
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2008, 11:08:37 AM »
Maybe I should keep my mouth shut since I volunteered to help with the static judging >:D However, since I've never been any good at keeping my mouth shut.... If it is already built and assembled I would not change it. Potentially you could lose some score, but I would not expect it to be a big deal.

Offline Allen Goff

• Charter Member
  • Admiral
    • Fellowship of Christan modelers
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008, 12:10:28 PM »
John, I agree with Chuck. Not about his mouth, but about "its not being a big deal". The experience of competing at the Nats will help down the road. I don't think there has been that perfect scale built yet, so improvements can be made for the next contest you compete in. Have fun with it. See ya at the Nats.

Blessings
Allen

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2008, 09:20:31 PM »
John, I agree with Chuck. Not about his mouth, but about "its not being a big deal". The experience of competing at the Nats will help down the road. I don't think there has been that perfect scale built yet, so improvements can be made for the next contest you compete in. Have fun with it. See ya at the Nats.

Blessings
Allen

Truth be known you are probably right.  As I look at this project there is no end to the details that will be wrong or missing. However so far it is looking good.  As I said before this is a converted RC kit.  The big challenge is to get it framed up and see if it flies.  If it is a great flayer I will go to work on the details.  Right now the NATS are iffy but I will try and make it.  When I get it ready to cover I will post a picture.
John Rist
AMA 56277

Online Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2008, 06:45:56 PM »
I have a Global Raven R/C ship that I intend to fly C/L Scale with, and it has similar problems. For Sport Scale I decided to fully sheet the wing where the kit had open bays in contention with the real ship, and do some minor shape corrections, put a super nice paint job on it matching the documentation I have, and lettin' 'er rip.
One can get wound up in the details when it is a losing proposition. Save the super detailing for a few model's down the road, I would think.

Offline chuck snyder

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2008, 07:23:29 PM »
Remember that the judging is about "accuracy of outline." If the canopy is in the wrong place, rudder size wrong, ailerons too big, etc., etc., it won't do you much good to have dead on the money brake hoses.

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2008, 03:40:29 PM »
Well I won't make the 08 NATS but there is always 09.  My Extra 300S is almost ready to cover.  I have finished the electronics instillation. Even though this is a big model it took some doing to get it all in. You can see in the picture the 4 servos across. the first two are for the elevator. The next is the rudder. The forth is for the throttle. The one on top of the bellcrank is the smoke. The tank you can see is the smoke oil.  The bellcrank is connected to the electronics that drives the 4 servos that controlls the flaps and the elevator.  And of course a battery to power the mess.  Sitting on top is the controll head that goes on the handle. I will soon post a picture of the whole airplane before I cover it.
John Rist
AMA 56277

Online Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2008, 07:01:15 PM »
Cool John,
Tell us about the bellcrank to servo set-up, potentiometer to drive the servos?
Gotta see more pics, John. More pics!
Chris...

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2008, 07:45:15 PM »
Cool John,
Tell us about the bellcrank to servo setup, potentiometer to drive the servos?
Gotta see more pics, John. More pics!
Chris...

For many years I built and sold on eBay a servo tester called the Pit Stop Radio. To date a probably built and sold 1000 to 1500 of them over the past 20 years. It is based on a 556 timer.  My bellcrank to servo driver is simply the guts (slightly modified) out of one of the servo testers.  I gave up selling them because the offshore people cut the price to the bone.

See:

Sky RC EK2-0907 Servo Tester for Radio Controlled Toy Item number: 230277714439

I suspect that you could convert one of these to work.  I prefer to build my own because the airplane life depends on it working. I use a really good pot for reliability. Picture attached of servo tester
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2008, 07:21:26 PM »
Well I will have no excuses not to be at the 09 Nats.  The Extra 300S is ready to cover/paint. Photos attached.
 y1
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2008, 07:59:21 AM »
Looking great to this point in construction.  Just take your time and get it to match your documentation.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2008, 10:34:28 AM »
Well I finally got around to weighing my Extra 300S.  It's finished weight should be around 8.5 lbs. Sounds like a lot but the model has a 64" wing span giving 744 sq inch of wing. It will be powered with a ST G90 at 2.5 HP. This comes out to 1.6 lb/sq ft and 3.4 lb/hp.  The full size Extra 300S comes in at 18 lb/sq ft and 6.9 lb/hp. Anyway I am hopping that this model will do a descent loop and wing over.  I do know it will be a hand full.  Pull test requirement will be around 45 lb.  I made sure that the bellcrank is up to the task. It resides on a 3/16 shaft between two 1/2" slabs of plywood. First flight in 2 - 4 weeks.
 n~
John Rist
AMA 56277

Online Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2008, 04:03:22 PM »
I am going to have to build my Raven. John, you have gotten me fired up.
I have, however, the opposite trend in regard to weight, in mind. My idea is to build the lightest scale model I can.
My plan is to use very little ply or lite ply, only for the motor mount and gear mount. Use light balsa as I would in a Stunter, stunt style bellcrank, electronic throttle and smoke and have as few servos as possible, (2) thus a smaller and lighter battery. I figured mine would weigh 85 ounces, (5 1/3 pounds) painted and trimmed.

Like Doc suggested John, spend your time now doing the necessary stuff to match the documentation. A quick look at any Extra picture is that there are no open bays anywhere on one. My Global kit has a bunch of open areas on the wing, which of course was solid carbon fibre sheeting. I will sheet the entire wing (not with hard 3/32nd though!). The tail on the Raven is flat and fabric covered steel tubes, so I have to redesign it so as to make it look like the prototype. Etc...
That is a really cool looking model. My original thought was to build a Byron Extra in the Gene Soucy scheme, but then met Wayne Handley at the Reno Air Races and decided that was for me, plus the Global kit was so much lighter and CHEAPER!

Have fun, send more pics.
Chris...

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2008, 10:13:12 AM »
My original thought was to build a Byron Extra in the Gene Soucy scheme, but then met Wayne Handley at the Reno Air Races and decided that was for me, plus the Global kit was so much lighter and CHEAPER!

Have fun, send more pics.
Chris...

I didn't think Byron Originals still built models. They still sell racing fuel for RC cars and boats I think?  Tell me more about Global kits. Do they have an Extra kit? Where can I get more information on Global?
John Rist
AMA 56277

Online Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2008, 09:37:56 PM »
I was doing this stuff in the mid-nineties. The Global kit as well as the Byron stuff is OOP. However, someone bought the rights and molds to Byron stuff and are remaking certain models. The majority are the Giant Scale stuff, as byrons used to have a couple of different sizes. They had a nice 60 size Extra in several schemes and I liked this one, the Gene Soucy version. Iron Bay is the new name and here is a link;

http://www.ironbaymodelcompany.com/index_files/ModelAirplaneKits.htm

Chris...
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 03:22:46 PM by Chris McMillin »

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2008, 03:43:44 PM »
Should get her ready for test flight this weekend.  I will lack a lot of decals etc but I want to see if it will fly. Attached is picture of real airplane that I am trying to copy.
John Rist
AMA 56277

Online Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2008, 05:11:03 PM »
Old Red Bull picture. Is that Steve Jones airplane?
Chris...

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2008, 06:47:13 PM »
Old Red Bull picture. Is that Steve Jones airplane?
Chris...

I have not a clue????  As best as I can tell the airplane has had 3 tail numbers - D-ETXU, N21EX, AND N8JX.  I will be using the N21EX because that is the tail number on the set of photos I got from Bob's Aircraft Documentation.  I talked to Bob and asked him what he had in a Extra 300S for dummies.  He recommended the N21EX and so far he has been spot on!  The monster is starting to look like the photos. If only It will FLY????  #^
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2008, 12:19:28 PM »
Well it FLIES! I am not sure if it will loop but once I get it diled in it should. #^
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2008, 12:30:55 PM »
It's on FIRE!!  No I just turned on the smoke.  y1
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2008, 01:18:10 PM »
Hey great job on the maiden flights.
Looks like your project is coming together well. Just an observation, looking at the first in flight picture, it looks liek its flying outboard tip high, probably from the high placement of the leadout guide. This could cause you some fright when you go to loop as it will lighten the line tension considerably. You may look at ways to lower the leadouts so they are inline with the  vertical CG before you try to many tricks with it.
other than that, hey admirable project,, keep it up!
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Online Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2008, 03:49:43 PM »
I second lowering the leadout guide height. Trimming these things make the flying better. Looks great in flight, love the smoke!
Chris...

Offline chuck snyder

• Commander
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2008, 10:38:32 AM »
Atta boy, John! #^

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2008, 06:45:24 PM »
Pictures of the plane look great.  Especially the one with the smoke.  I would not worry about doing aerobatics as you are limited on number of flight options.  Let us know when you enter it in your first contest and don't forget the documentation.  Have fun,  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2008, 12:27:26 PM »
Pictures of the plane look great.  Especially the one with the smoke.  I would not worry about doing aerobatics as you are limited on number of flight options.  Let us know when you enter it in your first contest and don't forget the documentation.  Have fun,  DOC Holliday
Doc,

First contest will be Broken Arrow 21 Stunt and Scale Contest Vally Park Missouri.  I am in the clean-up mode of the airplane and am getting my scale documentation put togather.  The scale in on Saturday September 27, 2008.

Broken Arrow?  That may be a bad omen for my first contest flight LOL  n~
John Rist
AMA 56277

Online Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2008, 07:57:50 PM »
It's a good omen, John.
It's means peace to indians. It was used to mend a rift between the Lafayette Escadrille club and another about a contest date long ago. The name stuck.
Good luck with the Extra, and say HI to all of my C/L buddies in St. Louis.
I lived there for 8 years and used to ferry this Rebel 300 for a fellow TWA pilot Don Johnson, much like the Raven of Wayne Handley. My dad shot this at Lakeland, FL in 1994 when I picked it up after the Sun and Fun Airshow. The "bomb" is a 35 gallon ferry fuel tank.
Chris...

Offline chuck snyder

• Commander
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2008, 08:11:50 PM »
John, good luck in St. Louis. I was able to attend that contest four years ago and it was very well run. They had neat trophies too.
Chuck

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2008, 12:20:38 PM »
John, good luck in St. Louis. I was able to attend that contest four years ago and it was very well run. They had neat trophies too.
Chuck

Trophy???  LL~ As I told my kids (and grand kids) if you just play the game you are a winner!  This is my very first contest ever - I just hope I don't embarrass myself.  But short of a train reck I will enjoy the weekend.  I will post pictures Monday.
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2008, 08:48:57 AM »
John,  you will have a blast in St Louis.  The guys are some of the greatest.  Frank Beatty should be there and anybody that doesn't know who he is does not follow scale.  The Baeur clan should be there also.  Maybe next year I will get my ME-109 ready to go and attend just for the fun of it.  Again, remember to have fun,  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here