News:

• May 01, 2024, 01:52:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: EXTRA 300S Flyes again.  (Read 817 times)

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
EXTRA 300S Flyes again.
« on: May 12, 2009, 10:41:54 PM »
Well I fixed all of the disasters from last summers try at flying a scale contest.  My 300S had stuck wheel and wouldn't taxi and the engine didn't want to run. New wheel with brass bushings fix the taxi problem and cleaning the carb along with a fuel filter fixed the engine.  I have found a paved parking lot to partice my flying.  It was a little windy today but I did manage to get in a good flight.  My biggest problem is landings. I get 3 to 5 for the price of one.  I suspect that I have to much elevator.  I plan to cut down on the throw.  She is a big model. 64" wing span and heavy at 8 lb 14 oz.  However has plenty of power from a RC ST G-60. I have an electronic throttle that gives me good engine controll.  I suspect I just need to practice , practice and more practice till I learn how to stick a landing.
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
Re: EXTRA 300S Flyes again.
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 08:56:14 AM »
John,
not that you can do anything about it, but I suspect landings will always be a challange based on where it looks like the landing gear is. It appears to be a bit forward at least as far as convention in "stunt" models go. forward landing gear can lead to bouncy bouncy landings.

glad your persevering, this is a fine looking model
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Richard Grogan

• AMA Member 85745 Stunt Hangar
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009, 12:47:45 AM »
WoW John!What a nice looking bird. Just looking at the pix- whats the deal with the ailerons and rudder? Looks like its set to turn in on you with a left bank. How are the servos set up? I seem to remember this one when you were building it and installing the controller that you scratch built...
Long Live the CL Crowd!

AMA 85745

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2009, 07:55:31 PM »
WoW John!What a nice looking bird. Just looking at the pix- whats the deal with the ailerons and rudder? Looks like its set to turn in on you with a left bank. How are the servos set up? I seem to remember this one when you were building it and installing the controller that you scratch built...

It's all black magic!   VD~  All seriousness aside the ailerons are really rudder coupled flaps.  When you turn the power on they center up nicely.  The rudder is also on a servo that I can controll from the handle.  Makes for exciting ground manovers.  I almost ran over my own lines the other day.  The controller has a preset lock for flight setting that gives me the correct rudder offset.

Pictured is the controller that attaches to the handle along with the boat load of electronics inside.  You can not see the receiver. It is buried under the bell crank.  You can also see the servo for the smoke generator.

By the way I have too much up-down controll.  I plan to turn the rudder coupled flaps back into ailerons.  They will be used for preflight ground control showoff only. For flight they will  be locked to neutral.  I can adjust the controll rods to make trim setting to adjust the wings level.
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2009, 08:22:59 AM »
What a night mare.   LL~ LL~  Maybe your a litle tail heavy.  It looks great tho.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2009, 08:34:57 AM »
What a night mare.   LL~ LL~  Maybe your a litle tail heavy.  It looks great tho.  DOC Holliday

Doc,
Good point on the tail heavy.  I will check next time I get it all togather.  Tail heavy airplanes don't land all that good.  I suppect the CG needs to forward of CG marked on the RC plans.
John Rist
AMA 56277

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here