News:

• May 02, 2024, 10:15:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Dumb 3-line Question  (Read 1383 times)

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Dumb 3-line Question
« on: October 30, 2011, 04:21:21 PM »
Do you rig your 3-line handle so that full throttle is when the trigger is pulled all the way back and idle is forward, or visa-versa?
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline afml

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
Re: Dumb 3-line Question
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2011, 04:47:03 PM »
"full throttle is when the trigger is pulled all the way back and idle is forward"

But others may do it differently... HB~> LL~

"Tight Lines!" H^^

Wes
Wes Eakin

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2011, 06:00:52 PM »
If you are going with electric motor electronic throttle is best.  Three line on gas has the advantage of not needing a battery or servo on board.  However I still perfer electronic control. The one advantage of electronic is that if the lines go slack you still have motor controll. But yes pulling the trigger gives full throttle.  I think that is opposite of a real airplane but by using "pulling on trigger for full throttle" -  slack lines or dropping the handle gives engine slow or off.  Also all RC cars and boats use pull trigger for go fast.

n~
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Jim Fruit

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2011, 06:34:18 PM »
Tim:

As the guys point out, it can be set up both ways. It can be affected by upright or inverted bellcranks and also by certain four-cycle linkages. However, I think it best if the operation is intuitive. Without even thinking about it I want my squeezing of the hand to be the reaction if I need more throttle. At least I found that more comfortable. As John points out, it is opposite of the logic of operating a throttle quadrant. When setting up my electronic controls, I use throttle quadrant forward to increase speed and throttle quadrant back to reduce RPM.

Jim Fruit

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2011, 07:11:41 PM »
Interesting,

I'm actually looking into that 3 line setup for my Gee Bee Z. Model was for RC, but I got bit by the CL bug. Again.

I did purchase a "period" 3 line bellcrank, only to find out that they are redally available.

I'm looking into the electric throttle devices. U-Tronics offers something along those lines. I'm actually digging for information as I write this.

There's much to learn about that. For those interested, here's my Gee Bee Z. Yes, still much left to do.

Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Online Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2011, 09:22:59 PM »
This is not really a dumb question. The way you move the trigger is only a preference is you want.  Some may say that it is best to push the trigger forward as if you were pushing the throttle open on a real airplane. Others may suggest the other way is preferred.

I have flown models of my own, back to back, where the throttle was opposite on each.  You get the feel real quick when you pick up the handle and exercise the throttle for high/low speed operation before you launch.  (This happens when I fly a carrier ship with the throttle hooked up one way and one of my scale models where throttle control is the opposite.)

The only time this might be a problem is if you have only flown the throttle linkage a certain way over a long period of time and it becomes ingrained in your reflexes.  It is times like this like when you pick up the handle and all of a sudden down is up and up is down and you cannot react/think fast enough to correct for the error.  (I have seen stunt fliers without too much experience who can fly inverted successfully, pick up the handle backwards - or hook up the lines backwards - and finish the flight without crashing.  Pilots with more experience can have more problems with this and will likely crash.)

Keith

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2011, 04:42:10 AM »
Another good point in favor of electronic throttle.  By reversing the wires on the pot one can reverse the throttle direction.

:!
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2011, 04:50:49 AM »
This is a web site a good friend has, he is based in the Denver area, but this web site contains information on CL scale. He has also posted my book on CL scale electronics and CL scale in general. Some of the information is dated. Clancy Arnolds U-tronics is similar to the Bill Young handle and other single channel electronic controls. The book talks about 3-line briefly, but mainly covers electronics controls. I use the JR radio with DSC control or single channel systems on my CL scale models. I converted my last 3-line model to electronic controls back in 1990.

Look for the link to the book on the right side, you will have scroll down a little bit

http://www.eicnetwork.com/eic/Scale.html

Fred Cronenwett
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale
Model Aviation CL Scale columnist

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2011, 08:18:06 AM »
Fred,

You guys are doing some good things!

I noticed there's a "Link" page. How can I get CFC Graphics on that link page? Can you get it done? I could send you URL's to my work.

Charles
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2011, 10:01:59 AM »
I have flown both ways. What I tell people is to pick up the handle, and without even thinking about it, give full throttle. Whatever direction you automatically default to, do that. There are always to change direction on the plane or engine, so you don't have to settle for however it turns out. Figure how you like it, then make it work the way you want. Not a dumb question at all!

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2011, 10:25:20 AM »
The interesting thing is that when I think about it, if I use my forefinger then I pull for full throttle, like a slot car racer.  If I use my left hand to reach over and work the lever, I push it forward.

Maybe Trostle's "just get used to each plane" suggestion is the way to go.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2011, 11:38:20 AM »
Tim,
I'm the same way, but I didn't realize it was a slot car thing until you mentioned it! Of course, slot car controller, what I'm used to for models. Real airplane or R/C, forward for full throttle. Interesting.
Did you know that before WWII the French used back for full throttle on real airplanes, as well Canadian built T-6's, Harvards mixture control is full back for full rich?
Chris...

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2011, 11:59:07 AM »
Tim,
I'm the same way, but I didn't realize it was a slot car thing until you mentioned it! Of course, slot car controller, what I'm used to for models. Real airplane or R/C, forward for full throttle. Interesting.
Did you know that before WWII the French used back for full throttle on real airplanes, as well Canadian built T-6's, Harvards mixture control is full back for full rich?
Chris...

And rudder pedals are pretty much universally counter-intuitive for students, since you move the rudder bar in the opposite direction from where you want the plane to travel.  Clyde Cessna used to modify all his personal planes to be "backwards" from the standard -- I'm sure that must have been fun any time he switched planes!
AMA 64232

Offline Thomas Wilk

• Commander
    • Tom Wilk's old mag plans on CD
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2011, 03:36:30 PM »
the Japanese also had their problems with push or pull for full power.  i'm not sure who used which but one pushed the throttle in for full power and the other pulled the throttle out for full power

Offline L0U CRANE

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2011, 12:58:21 PM »
...and, you can do it whichever way is more comfortable or intuitive to you.

It makes sense to have the fullest grip possible at max power - all fingers gripping, thus pull for hi to get the index finger into the picture.

If your setup doesn't naturally fall in with your preference, it it simple to add a reversing link somewhere in the system.

Sure, the fewer parts the better, but something as simple as a sorta bellcrank - puhrod from the 3-line unit pushes/pulls one side of a small link, and on the other side of the link's pivot - same distance for the same travel - the link to the throttle.

Sometimes this can help the linkage to clear the fuel tank or other front end obstructions, too.

Reversing leads to a servo sounds too simple!  ;D
\BEST\LOU

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2011, 06:32:28 PM »
And rudder pedals are pretty much universally counter-intuitive for students, since you move the rudder bar in the opposite direction from where you want the plane to travel.  Clyde Cessna used to modify all his personal planes to be "backwards" from the standard -- I'm sure that must have been fun any time he switched planes!

Tim,

Every airplane I ever flown, push left pedal, and the nose goes left, push right pedal, and the nose goes right.

Cb

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2011, 06:36:14 PM »
Tim,

Every airplane I ever flown, push left pedal, and the nose goes left, push right pedal, and the nose goes right.

Every bicycle I've ever rode, you push the left handlebar and the bike goes right.  Push the right handlebar and the bike goes left.  If that's counterintuitive, how come turning the handlebars the way you want to go is so danged easy?
AMA 64232

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here