News:

• April 30, 2024, 03:51:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: DO335 1/2A Profile Twin  (Read 879 times)

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
DO335 1/2A Profile Twin
« on: November 06, 2008, 09:12:31 PM »
There is nothing like a little prize money to generate excitement. Next years Broken Arrow 21 Stunt and Scale Contest will include a 1/2A Twin Engine Profile Scale Event.  Rules are simple.  Can be any twin that has ever flown. Two .049 engines.  No throttle or working features allowed. Entire control system must be exposed. Maximum weight limit is 20 oz dry. Judging will be laid back - limited to ONLY the appeal of the model. Scale documentation shall be one 8x10 photo or drawing to prove airplane exists. To qualify model must ROG and fly 1 lap with both engines running.  According to the flyer I received first prize is a cool $100. Sponsoring club is Lafayette Esquadrille and point of contact for more info is Tim Pansic at 618 254-8138.

Having said all that I was at this years contest and had a blast. The Lafayette Esquadrille are a great bunch.  So next year I plan to enter both Stand off Scale and 1/2A Twin Profile Scale. My 1/A twin will be a DO335.  I have started designing and building the model. Attached is the wing ready for its top cover. The wing is 1/32 balsa sheet top and bottom with a bass wood spar.
 y1 H^^
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: DO335 1/2A Profile Twin
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2008, 09:14:09 PM »
Attached is the 3 view of my DO335
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2008, 06:17:25 AM »
Your rules look great !

.049 is TRUE 1/2A.  The no throttle rule brings it back to reality.  Sure, bigger engines run better and the easier, but it's simply not cricket.

I'd like to see a bit more to the flying side, but getting two TRUE 1/2A's running at the same time is enough of a challenge for most people.

Question: Do you really think the "profile" rule is worthwhile?  If you dropped that, we could use Walt Musciano "hollow log" construction. 
Paul Smith

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2008, 09:01:12 AM »
Your rules look great !

.049 is TRUE 1/2A.  The no throttle rule brings it back to reality.  Sure, bigger engines run better and the easier, but it's simply not cricket.

I'd like to see a bit more to the flying side, but getting two TRUE 1/2A's running at the same time is enough of a challenge for most people.

Question: Do you really think the "profile" rule is worthwhile?  If you dropped that, we could use Walt Musciano "hollow log" construction. 
You do understand that they are not my rules. But rather the sponsoring club is Lafayette Esquadrille and point of contact for more info is Tim Pansic at 618 254-8138. If anybody wants the complete rules email me and I will scan them and email them.

I think the deal about the profile rule is to keep it simple, cheep and at the lowest skill level.  They want lots of entries. Proxy and team efforts are also allowed.  #^
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline L0U CRANE

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2008, 03:04:54 PM »
John,

Sounds like fun, tho I am partial to the Tucson Concept. I'm sure you're familiar with Mike Keville's Multi-1/2A thing. This year we had two classes, in efffect: throttle and no-throttle.

Not limited to 2 engines, just profiles, no individual engine over 0.061. ROG plus 10 laps (all running) to qualify for placing score. Scale documentation somewhat similar to AMA Scale, but less rigorous.

For the throttled class, add some flight options - declared, then flown. Separate scoreboards and placings.

Personal feeling: It takes a bit of work to get ANY model plane flying. Is that work justified by ROG plus a single full lap (all running)? It isn't a whole lot more work to add throttle... and the flight option possibilities can add quite a bit of interest and challenge...

The newer 1/2As (inch -0.8cc/0.049 cu in - or metric -1.0cc/ 0.06 cu in) have nice power, are easier to get reliable running out of, and the throttled versions have lots time in smallish RC use. Oh, and is a COX 0.051 still a 1/2A?

Whatever works for any given bunch is worth it. Some local-origin events have become immensely popular.
\BEST\LOU

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2008, 07:56:38 AM »
An .051 is a Class A engine, that's the whole reason it was made.

Free Flighters found that some 1/2A models actually beat Class A free flights, so a cheater engine was produced to allow a "true 1/2A" to be flown as an "A".

The oil ring on the piston shows that it's an .051.
Paul Smith

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2009, 10:28:02 PM »
Well I am back on track with the DO335.  I have the new U-Joint installed and have successfully gotten both motors to run in a test fixture.  I think the big crash whipped out some of the pictures so here is a couple.  These pictures have the old brass U-joint that kept failing.  The new joint is steel.  When I get it all together I will post pictures.  I plan to epoxy base coat it and fly it.  If it flies I will paint it.  Summer is comming fast so I must shake a leg.
John Rist
AMA 56277

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here