News:

• May 03, 2024, 07:12:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Control Line Rules Change Proposals.  (Read 876 times)

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Control Line Rules Change Proposals.
« on: May 12, 2010, 06:12:16 PM »
The results of the initial vote by the Scale Contest Board have been posted on the AMA website.  I have not gone through all of them, but there is one significant proposal that did pass which is CLS 11-22 which proposes to establishes a Control Line Precision Scale event.

Clancy Arnold is to be commended for taking the initiative in the last days of submitting proposals to get this proposal before the Board.  Without this proposal, there would be no type of control line precision scale event in the rulebook.  Good for Clancy.

Keith

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
  • I am 5 Ft. 8 In., the Taube is 7 Ft. 4 In.
Re: Control Line Rules Change Proposals.
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 07:35:10 PM »
Thanks Keith.

I just tried to help.
Clancy

Clancy Arnold
Indianapolis, IN   AMA 12560 LM-S
U/Tronics Control
U/Control with electronics added.

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 08:47:34 AM »
Review of Initial Vote of the CL Scale Board

Good news – 
CLS 11-19  Requirements for the “Pilot Figure” are clarified.
CLS 11-21  Add new event 527 CL Team Scale
CLS 11-22  Add new event (###) New CL Precision Scale

Bad news –
All attempts to Relax the requirements for a  new contestant in CL Fun Scale to "fly what they brought" were all rejected.  CLS 11-1 Allow profile models in CL Fun Scale, CLS 11-12 Remove requirements for Dummy Pilot, Retract gear and Mandatory throttle,
CLS 11-14 Change CL Fun Scale into two skill levels as is the current rule for CL Profile Scale (BUT that event is not run as two skill levels)

Other proposals that failed the Initial Vote.
CLS 11-11  Change wording on when to score a flight option.
CLS 11-18  Four (4) point bonus for BOM in CL Fun Scale.
CLS 11-20  Drop Event 510 / F4B from the AMA list of events.  The Board may be planning to use this event number for the New CL Precision Scale. (See Good News above)  I do not have an opinion, if this is their plan.

Work that still needs to be done.
Now is the time to submit Cross Proposals to any of the Rules Change Proposals that passed the Initial Vote.  Here is the opportunity to change the “18 Foot Rule in F4B.”  The current F4B rule specifies 6 meters (19 ft 8.22 in) height for Normal Flight level.  Three (3) meters (10 ft) seems to be the concensus of what it should be.

Clancy
Clancy Arnold
U/Tronics Control

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2010, 07:21:03 AM »
REMINDER - REMINDER - REMINDER

Cross Proposals are to be submitted between May 31 and July 30.

Use the same form as for original Rules Change Proposals but mark them Cross Proposal and include the number of the original Proposal.

Clancy
Clancy Arnold
U/Tronics Control

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2010, 11:02:26 AM »
So throttle is mandatory in C/L Scale?
Chris...

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2010, 11:32:52 AM »
Chris
Maybe a wrong choice of words. But, I do not know of any other way to make a CL Scale model set still without being held with the engine running before takeoff.
Clancy
Clancy Arnold
U/Tronics Control

Offline BillLee

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2010, 03:32:48 PM »
Now is the time to submit Cross Proposals to any of the Rules Change Proposals that passed the Initial Vote.  Here is the opportunity to change the “18 Foot Rule in F4B.”  The current F4B rule specifies 6 meters (19 ft 8.22 in) height for Normal Flight level.  Three (3) meters (10 ft) seems to be the concensus of what it should be.

Clancy

Just understand that the AMA does not make changes to the F4B rules: only the FAI can make those changes. If you want to make F4B changes, you need to get them into the AMA well before November 15, 2011 (right: 2011) so they can be submitted to the CIAM for consideration at the 2012 FAI CIAM Plenary meeting. That is the next chance for making changes to the FAI F4B rules.

Regards,

Bill Lee
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 06:37:54 PM by BillLee »
Bill Lee
AMA 20018

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2010, 06:09:12 PM »
So throttle is mandatory in C/L Scale?
Chris...

It's not mandatory to have a throttle to enter and fly.
In general, unless it's a very sparsely-entered contest, you need a throttle to win.
Paul Smith

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2010, 07:25:15 PM »
Paul
You are correct.  I should have said to be competitive --.

BillLee
The decision to drop CL Scale F4B from the FAI rules has allready been made.  See Proposal CLS 11-20 submitted by Charlie Bauer.

The rules Change Proposal CLS 11-22 establishes a new event to replace the old  AMA precision Scale and the loss of F4B.  It is to be called New Control Line Precision Scale and to use the existing 2010 F4B rules until a complete set of new rules can be written and approved.

Clancy
Clancy Arnold
U/Tronics Control

Offline BillLee

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2010, 05:09:16 AM »

BillLee
The decision to drop CL Scale F4B from the FAI rules has allready been made.  See Proposal CLS 11-20 submitted by Charlie Bauer.

The rules Change Proposal CLS 11-22 establishes a new event to replace the old  AMA precision Scale and the loss of F4B.  It is to be called New Control Line Precision Scale and to use the existing 2010 F4B rules until a complete set of new rules can be written and approved.

Clancy

HB~>

AMA has no authority to "drop CL Scale F4B from the FAI rules". F4B is alive and well as far as being in and part of the FAI rule-set. F4B has NOT been lost, but the vote on it as a rule-set is made with the modelers' feet: they walk away from it. Evidence: Lack of participation around the world in F4B and consequently the elimination of World Championships for F4B. (2010 will be the last one held.)

Not to mention that CLS 11-20, Charlie Bauer's proposal, didn't pass the initial ballot.  ::)

Regards,

Bill Lee

Bill Lee
AMA 20018

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2010, 08:18:14 AM »
Only if some country doesn't step up and promote having a World Scale Championship for Control Line.  According to some forums there are countries still havig meets and get togethers for F4B Scale. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline BillLee

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2010, 12:49:44 PM »
Only if some country doesn't step up and promote having a World Scale Championship for Control Line.  According to some forums there are countries still havig meets and get togethers for F4B Scale. H^^

Doc, I am sure that there are F4B contests in some places around the world. But that has no bearing.

It isn't a question of " ... some country doesn't step up and promote having a World Scale Championship for Control Line ...". Rather, the event has to be identified as a World Championships event by the CIAM.

For a World Championships to be held, there must be at least four countries represented. If that doesn't happen, the CIAM downgrades the status of the event to "non-championship" category and no more World Champs. That is what happened to F4B. The 2010 event was already in the mill when that decision was made, and will be the last for F4B.

F4B is still an FAI event. F4B is (probably) flown here and there around the world. F4B no longer is a "championship" event. F4B will not have a World Championships after 2010.

Bill
Bill Lee
AMA 20018

Offline John Witt

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2010, 03:07:15 PM »
Who will build a model for precision scale/F4B/whatever without some continuity in the rules that will allow such a model to compete for a few years. It takes about a year or much more and good bit of money to build a model for any of those scale classes.

It probably won't affect me much either way. There are virtually no scale contests around here (Washington/Oregon) -- there is one on the schedule this spring. I build to satisfy myself, but if I go to a contest, I like to know what I'm getting into. Contests are fun when they bring like-minded people together and a trophy in a class of one doesn't offer much satisfaction no matter what the personal justification is. I'm not likely to go to the Nats because of the cost and time it takes, but that would be my only chance to compete against a high level of building/flying skill.

It's quite a contrast with the local PA scene, which doesn't get much better for building or flying skill.

John Witt
John Witt
AMA 19892
Edmonds, WA
"Houston, Tranquillity Base here. The Eagle has landed."

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here