News:

• May 01, 2024, 09:03:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Chief into rehab....  (Read 486 times)

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Chief into rehab....
« on: December 18, 2009, 04:58:20 PM »
I built this Chief in early 2005.  It was a hurry up job for the Brodak.  I've always been very satisfied with how well it flys.  I did it in all Monokote with yellow on the wings and chrome on the fuselage.  The idea was to look like the PT-22 (or something like it) in Air Force Museum.

Anyway, it served me well for five seasons, but in the long run, a the Monokoted fuselage lost some it's initial good looks.  

The movable rudder, covered and trimmed with Monokote, in some places three layer thick was heavy and a bit weak.

The open cockpit, again with Monokote trim became a maintenance issue.

The wing and tailplane, with over 1400 square inches of Mono, counting top & bottom is to remain.
Paul Smith

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Chief into rehab....
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2009, 05:07:57 PM »
The stripping of the chrome, with a heat gun, razor blades, acetone, and sanding blocks only took a few hours.

The rudder offset was made stationary, thereby making the rudder a structural plus rather than a liability.

The clear windscreen was replaced with a balsa one, to be painted later.

Next it was clear doped and covered with gray silk.  Things get ugly in rehab, before the turn upward.
Paul Smith

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Chief into rehab....
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2009, 07:10:57 PM »
Whoops - too much dope fumes.  I should have put this in OTS or maybe Paint & Finish.

Maybe management will move it...

Rather than prepetuate this misplacement, I'll continue this thread where it belongs, Old Time Stunt (or maybe paint & finish).
« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 12:14:58 PM by Paul Smith »
Paul Smith

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here