News:

• May 07, 2024, 09:13:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Building a profile Beech Bonanza  (Read 6036 times)

Offline eric david conley

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Building a profile Beech Bonanza
« on: January 16, 2013, 01:13:51 PM »
     I've been slowly drawing up some plans for a 46" profile Beech Bonanza and am getting to the point of starting to build. I will be covering the entire plane with Ultacote and want a all aluminum finish with the dark red trim just like the 1947s first came out with. I've used some silver Ultracote several time before on my carrier planes and it definitely looks like a painted silver finish and not at all like a natural aluminum finish. I was wondering about using Ultracote Chrome?? Has anyone tried using the chrome? I know some builders will use a very thin sheet of aluminum to cover planes or parts of planes but I don't think I'm quit up to that.
     Another thing is documentation which is as important as color or finish and I want this to be a early 1947 plane which I believe were all natural aluminum with very little red trim. Does anyone know my best chance at getting documentation? I forget now who sent me my current 3 views but they are excellent and wish I could remember who it was.
     I grew up in Orange County CA and lived next to a couple of brothers (the Post brothers) and they had a Stinson Station Wagon that they sold and then bought a new Bonanza. They kept this plane in a Quonset hut that held the Bonanza and usually a PT-13 and was located on there property.I would watch them open the hanger door and push the bonanza out a little ways, start the engine, taxi and turn the plane away from the hanger, go through the engine checks and then take off on a dirt strip next to there alfalfa field. By the time they reached the end of the strip they were a couple hundred feet high. Norm the oldest brother would continue his climb until he was at around 800 feet and turn around and head towards the coast. Hap the younger brother would be completely turned around and heading towards the coast before he ever got to the end of the strip, it was quite exciting to watch. Both of these guys died of old age so I'm guessing they new what they were doing (or just very lucky).
     They kept this Bonanza for quite some time and kept replacing the engine for a bigger one when ever they come available. In 1954 Norm flew my father and I down to Imperial Valley for the opening of a new Holly Sugar processing plant. What I remember most about this trip was after we landed we got out of a 70 degree cabin and stepped into 110 degree air, it was a real blast so to speak.  Eric
Eric

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Building a profile Beech Bonanza
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 01:49:54 PM »
Yup.  You had me wondering.  "Beech Bonanza?  Carrier???  Where all have those things landed?"

Edit:

I'm looking forward to this build, by the way.  I like Bonanzas.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 02:45:44 PM by Tim Wescott »
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 04:19:55 PM »
  Does anyone know my best chance at getting documentation? I forget now who sent me my current 3 views but they are excellent and wish I could remember who it was.

You might contact Bob Banka at Bob's Aircraft documentation:

http://www.bobsairdoc.com

He has a lot of pictures of a lot of Bonanzas.

Keith
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 12:44:38 PM by Trostle »

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 04:21:21 PM »
The Beech Bonanza is a great plane, just remember to follow the 3-view exactly, don't change any outlines when building for Scale. And when you get the documentation together, build and show the same 3-view for the documentation you show the judges. A common mistake is to build to one 3-view or set of plans and then show a different 3-view in the documentation. I always start with the documentation first and then build the model.

That model will fly great with stable platform. Have Fun!

Fred Cronenwett
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale
Model Aviation CL Scale columnist

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 07:19:31 PM »
The original Model 35 Bonanza has always been a favorite here.

As a 10-year-old kid, then working with StromBecker solids, I wrote them to ask if they'd consider offering a model of the '47 Bonanza.  To my utter surprise they did!  I built several, and sure do wish I had one of those kits today.

Please keep us posted on your efforts.
FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2013, 08:39:47 AM »
I am lucky enough to have some flying time a Vee tail Bonanza, and came close to buying one. Back seat passengers can feel a little dutch roll, but it is a great airplane.
AMA 7544

Offline Bob Heywood

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2013, 12:53:58 PM »
Eric,

You might try the following:

The Beechcraft Heritage Museum - http://www.beechcraftheritagemuseum.org/

They have a Model 35 in natural aluminum and red.

There is also a book, Those Incomparable Bonanzas by Larry Ball. Check Amazon.com

Slick airplane.
"Clockwise Forever..."

Offline Mike Lauerman

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2013, 12:44:44 PM »
My eye surgeon is on his second Bonanza. The airplane is a favorite with folks in the medical profession, it seems.
There is a running 'tally' on doctors (especially, and by other doctors) that have made gear-up landings, sometimes repeatedly.

Could that maneuver could be added in scale, maybe some staff & snake logos for authenticity?

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2013, 02:53:26 PM »
My eye surgeon is on his second Bonanza. The airplane is a favorite with folks in the medical profession, it seems.
There is a running 'tally' on doctors (especially, and by other doctors) that have made gear-up landings, sometimes repeatedly.

Could that maneuver could be added in scale, maybe some staff & snake logos for authenticity?

It might work as an optional maneuver.  Several years ago, Jack Sheeks was flying his F6F Wildcat in the Nats scale event.  The flight started out OK and he retracted the gear.  The engine went sour, the plane slowed down, then the engine quit, the airplane's descent had a glide angle about like a rock with no time to extend the LG.  Jack quickly called out "Crash Landing" before the rather abrupt end to the flight.  I do not know if he got any points for that unlisted flight option. 

Keith

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2013, 03:03:32 PM »
Hey Mike isn't it the truth about Doctors, they think they can do anything because after all they were smart enough to get a doctorate in medicine so flying a plane should be a push over. No matter how smart you are it is hard not to make a mistake every once in a while. Doctors of medicine probably have a lot on there minds besides fly an airplane. Hopefully they will have the money for the repairs. Now that you mention it I probably will have a few in my future if I can finish this plane.  Eric
Eric

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2013, 05:37:16 PM »

Mike,

The reason the Bonanza is so popular is because it's considered the Cadilac of the single engine aircraft.

Well, it was, maybe not now.   n~

Charles
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Bob Heywood

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2013, 05:46:08 PM »
The American Bonanza Society, operating under the auspices of the Beechcraft Heritage Museum, offers the Beechcraft Pilot Proficiency Program for Bonanza pilots. The Bonanza is a high performance airplane and needs to be respected as such.

On another note, Bevo Howard flew a stock Model A35 through an aerobatic routine, including inverted flight and inside loops, at the 1948 Cleveland National Air Races. There is movie footage of the flight. Later, at the Bonanza factory, he did an outside loop from inverted with the same airplane. So...you have some optional maneuvers to consider.
"Clockwise Forever..."

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2013, 05:52:18 PM »
On another note, Bevo Howard flew a stock Model A35 through an aerobatic routine, including inverted flight and inside loops, at the 1948 Cleveland National Air Races. There is movie footage of the flight. Later, at the Bonanza factory, he did an outside loop from inverted with the same airplane. So...you have some optional maneuvers to consider.

I'm not sure how the scale rules read, but if that plane was modified for negative Gs then in order to use those maneuvers you may well have to make a model of that plane, or some other Bonanza that was so modified.

I think most airplane fuel and oil systems stop working correctly when you pull negative Gs, or at least if you do for any length of time.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2013, 09:35:30 PM »
None of those maneuvers listed require an inverted system except the outside loop from inverted. I have performed all of the other listed maneuvers in a Beech Bonanza and Staggerwing and both had upright systems only.
Chris...

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2013, 09:38:54 PM »
None of those maneuvers listed require an inverted system except the outside loop from inverted. I have performed all of the other listed maneuvers in a Beech Bonanza and Staggerwing and both had upright systems only.
Chris...

Even sustained inverted flight?
AMA 64232

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2013, 10:27:07 PM »
I guess not. We did inverted glides.
Chris...

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2013, 10:41:56 PM »
I guess not. We did inverted glides.
Chris...

You know, I'm not sure if you really mean that, if you're pulling my leg, or if I've ticked you off and you're being sarcastic.

Do you really mean power-off gliding while upside-down?  Or idling while inverted?  I'm not trying to be a smart-ass here, you're just mentioning things outside of my ken (I'm not much of a full-scale guy).
AMA 64232

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2013, 02:51:09 PM »
I'm being serious.
I used to fly for Staggerwing Airshows based in St. Louis in the 90's We had a Bonanza, Staggerwing, Bushmaster 2000 and an N3N. We flew acro in all of them gave rides, drop jumpers, etc. The Bonanza was really for teaching recovery from unusual attitudes to corporate flight department pilots that had no acro training.
I'm a 20,000 hour airline Captain and have instructed acro, flown acro competition in two Pitts Specials I owned, and raced at the Reno Air Races in those Pitts Specials in the Biplane Class.
The Staggerwing , N3N and Bonanza routines had an inverted pass in which the engine would flood out in the case of the carburated engines and quit from starvation from the fuel line pickup location on the Bonanza, so the pass was a gliding inverted pass. From 300 to 400 feet a slight descent so as to lose half of that altitude would get a half mile of inverted flight for the crowd. Immediately after rolling upright the engine would relight and off you'd go.

Here is a video of some of the maneuvers, this was an attempt at a sales video which was about 10x's too long!

Chris...

« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 04:00:31 PM by Chris McMillin »

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2013, 03:02:39 PM »
Immediately after rolling upright the engine would relight and off you'd go.

I thought that if you were serious that's what it might be.  Cool.  That takes a lot of trust in your equipment.
AMA 64232

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2013, 04:25:52 PM »
I can't keep from commenting on the doctors and Bonanza posts above.
My family doctor and his wife came to me for their bi-annual checks in the mid 70's.  She was a good pilot, but during our flight she made the statement that there wasn't any need for me to talk to her about landings in a plowed filed with the gear up.  "If I make an emergency landing, you can bet my gear is going to be DOWN."
Dontcha know, two years later that very thing happened to her.  She got the fuel selector stuck between tanks and took it into a plowed field, GEAR DOWN.  Wiped the poor thing out completely, and when I say the poor thing, I'm  talking about the airplane!  Bent the spar, (severely,) ripped the gears clear out, and caused me a very sore tongue from biting it to keep from calling her!
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

• Captain
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2013, 11:53:02 AM »
     Well this Bonanza thing (scale) is a little bit more for me than a decent carrier plane project. Thank goodness carrier planes aren't this much trouble or I would probably be fishing or something. In most new projects of mine it seems to be hurry up and wait and I have been in the wait place for a while now. I ordered a landing gear sequencer from HobbyKing (only took me 10 min or so) and I've been informed that it will take 14 to 39 (?) days to get the sequencer to here (or somewhere ?) and that's using "the Chines air mail plan". I asked them why it would take so long to send it air mail as I only lived about 500 miles from their warehouse in Washington State? Well it seems that I didn't order it from Washington although I had to type in what country I was ordering from and would have it delivered to. I have several excuses why its not all my fault but it seems that it will not speed up the delivery one bit. SO, I ordered one from Tower and have received it three day after I placed my order, course its not the one I wanted (its bigger in size) but at least I can get along with the Bonanza build.
     The Tower sequencer worked right off the bat so now I can open the inner gear doors raise the gear and then the inner doors close, then when they are lowered the gear doors reopen and the gear comes down and then the gear door close again. Pretty cool and so simple, its one of those "how-ed they do that" happenings. With the sequencer doing two things it allows me to use a 3 channel 2.4 radio instead of a 4 channel radio which would cost almost 3 times as much. So now its time to hurry along and get some things assembled to see if infact I can get all this stuff inside a profile and have it all still work.  Eric
Eric

• Captain
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2013, 11:11:50 AM »
     I'm beginning to think I should have started my Scale building with a profile Aircoupe instead of the Bonanza. I've posted the first picture after finally making a tentative decision on how the layout will look. Everything will fit easily in the inch wide fuselage with the exception of right at the nose which can be 1.5" wide. I would like to be able to make the nose 1.5"wide back to the leading edge of the wing but don't know if that would be allowed. Until I find out, the plan is to go no farther back than the aluminum motor mount at the rear of the motor. It will go over the top of the motor, around the motor, and then taper to about 1" wide at the bottom of the fuselage. I plan on using a couple layers of 1/64 ply laminated together which should leave me with 3/32" of clearance around the motor. When finished the cowling will be removeable exposing the entire motor and the main body of the nose retract system.
     Just behind the motor will be the ESC which can be removed straight out the front of the fuselage when the motor is removed. Behind the ESC is the receiver (Spektrom SR3500 Micro Rec.) and the EMS landing gear retract sequencer. The rec and sequencer will be behind the door (which can be opened for access) for access or maintenance. At the rear of the picture is the relay to operate the flaps. I'll try a micro but may have to move up to a mini to lower the flaps. On the early Bonanza's the flaps would only go down 26 degrees at a fairly low air speed so I might get away with the micro.
     There will be one more micro servo in the wing to operate the main gear inside doors that open and shut every time the main gear moves. This is all done with a Spektrom DX3C transmitter (3 channels) with the help of the sequencer for the gear and doors. Oh is that Aircoupe looking better and better. Eric
Eric

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2013, 12:44:03 PM »
I would like to be able to make the nose 1.5"wide back to the leading edge of the wing but don't know if that would be allowed. Until I find out, the plan is to go no farther back than the aluminum motor mount at the rear of the motor. It will go over the top of the motor, around the motor, and then taper to about 1" wide at the bottom of the fuselage. I plan on using a couple layers of 1/64 ply laminated together which should leave me with 3/32" of clearance around the motor. When finished the cowling will be removeable exposing the entire motor and the main body of the nose retract system.

Eric

Eric,

Interesting project and nice looking work. Regarding the CL Scale rules for a profile.  Indeed, the rules for Profile Scale read:

"The profile fuselage and/or engine nacelles are not to exceed one (1) inch in width except for a simulated cowl(s) which may be up to 1-1/2 inches in total width."

What the rules do not say is what a cowl is and what a cowl is not, nor do the rules specify how far the "cowl" can be extended past the engine.

In the CL General rules, some guidelines are provided for the width of profile fuselages for the racing and carrier events and the nose "fuselage reinforcements" that are allowed for those events:

"Such additional fuselage reinforcements may extend from the prop drive washer to a point 25 percent of the wing root chord back of the wing leading edge at the root and may be faired in."

With the ambiguity in the profile scale rules that do not define what a cowl is (or a "fuselage reinforcement", or a "fairing"), I cannot see how any Event Director could rule against a "cowl",  "fuselage reinforcement", or a "fairing", or whatever that extends to just past the wing leading edge ("normally configured single engine aircraft) that does not exceed the 1.5" maximum width for the nose "cowl" of a profile scale model.

Just my own private opinion.  That is the approach I have taken on "several" of my profile scale models , including one that placed 3rd at the 2000 Nats.

I will be interested on how you are dealing with the V-tail elevators, particularly on that profile fuselage rear end.  I have some experience with this if you are interested (a scale See Pea with a 100o angle between the two tail planes. Used "Lucky Boxes", a single horn, no split pushrod, and have virtually no slop between the elevators..

Keith

Offline Mike Lauerman

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2013, 01:31:51 PM »
Incredibly compact, Eric. Inspiring, all the electrics laid out in such a pre-planned plot!

That sequential landing gear/door arrangement mentioned is a real teaser, with its relative operation.
Anxious to see it laid out.

I had some Goldberg mechanical retracts fitted into a Sterling F51 profile, had to do a new wing to accomodate the 1" tall brackets with latch mechanisms, thought I was on the 'leading edge'! (that was some time ago, ahem.)

• Captain
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2013, 04:57:59 PM »
     Keith,

Thanks for your nice commits, and yes I could use some help with the flaps and elevators. The Bonanza wing has quite a bit of dihedral in it also so will have to control each flap as well as each elevator. I can only draw plans for so long and then I just start building because I need the whole 3D visual thing to go on with the building and that is pretty much where I am at now.
     I was thinking of putting a Y in the elevator push rod that would go to each elevator. As it is a profile I could have a 3/4" wide inside area where the stabilizer is located and if I made one of the Y rods a little longer than the other I would end up with enough room back there. The control horns wouldn't be right in line with each other and that way each Y would be in a slightly different place allowing room to work back in forth with out running into each other. THEN AGAIN, it would be nice to taper the fuselage from the rear of the cabin back to the stabilizer and have it end up 3/4" outside width or less for better looks.
     I had much the same thoughts about the flaps. I just reread my information on the early Bonanza flaps and they were limited to 20 degrees so that the plane could be flared for landing by the trim tabs.
     The landing gears that I am using are by E-flite and don't require a servo. They use a motor with a threaded shaft that raises and lowers the gear and a over load switch that turns them off when they run into something (reach there end points). Pretty cool. I really like the 2.4 RC thing that we can use now. I started out back in the late 40s with CL and in the 70s tried RC but couldn't stand the loss of feel so went back to CL right away. There are so many new things we can use now and still have our feel for the flight.  Eric
Eric

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2013, 09:57:30 PM »
Eric,

Since I last commented on your Bonanza, I have thought about it a bit more and have a few comments/ideas.

First, I think you might want to reconsider making the rear portion of the fuselage any thinner.  Even if you reduce the width of the rear fuselage to the 3/4" you mentioned, it will still look like a profile and few, if any will notice.  With the experience we have had with the 1/2A multi-engine profile scale contests here in Tucson for the last several years, I do not think there would be any noticeable improvement in appearance in the models if the rear portion of the fuselages were made more narrow.  Yes, these are smaller, generally, than your Bonanza will be, but they still look like profiles.  Besides, if you leave the fuselage there to be full 1" wide, there will be a more substantial base to attach your tail section which will be good regardless of how you decide to move your elevators.

You mentioned your thoughts on the elevators and pushrods.  I do not understand your comment about making one pushrod longer than the other so that the elevators (or horns?) would not interfere with each other.  First, your horns should be in the same location relative to each other on either side of the fuselage.  You do not want to introduce anything that would result in some sort of differential elevator movement for up and down control.  The elevators will have to be separated by something like 1" anyway when they are in the neutral position so they do not interfere with each other at full up.  Then, when the horns are at the bottom of the elevators connected to the "Y" pushrod, there will have to be clearance for those pushrod ends and the horns on the sides of the fuselage.  Something to think about.

I mentioned the possibility of using a single pushrod with a single control horn using "Lucky Boxes".  It could get a little tricky, but I think it can be done.  But for it to work, the pushrod connection to the control horn will have to be on the center line of the model which means that it will have to be inside that rear portion of your fuselage and you will need all of that 1" width allowed for a profile.  To do this lucky box thing, special attention needs to be given where the hinge line of the control horn is positioned relative to the hinge lines of the elevators with that dihedral they have.  That horn must have be bushed so that it can be fixed to the fuselage.  Also, the horn wire in either side of the elevator lucky boxes has to be properly shaped.  I have used lucky boxes on two of my 1/2 scale models where the horizontal tail/elevators have a lot of sweep.  The horn and pushrod on each of these models is completely enclosed in their 1" wide fuselages using a ball link to connect the pushrod to the horn.  It will be a lot easier to explain this if I make a drawing on how the horn and hinge lines and lucky boxes all fit together.  If you want to pursue this, I will make up some drawings to help.  It would help me if you could send me a drawing to show what those elevators look like and how the whole tail section matches up on the fuselage that you will have back there.  As I mentioned, I have lucky boxes and a single control horn on my Swee' Pea which has 100o between the two tail panels which means that there is about 40o dihedral under each tail panel.  And there is about a 1" spacing between the elevators when they are at neutral and even though it has a scale built-up fuselage, there is not much more space at the rear end of that thing than what would be in a 1" profile fuselage.  Something else to think about.

The wing flaps:  One simple way is just have a horn on each flap just on each side of the fuselage with a servo driving a single pushrod with a "Y" in it to connect to the horns.  There will be a bit of flexing between the two flaps, but not any amount that should be a problem with your scale airplane.  There are two other options to get operational flaps.  In each of these options, a single horn can be used and you will need to make a decision if you want the flap horn and pushrod enclosed inside that 1" wide fuselage, or will you want the pushrod and its linkage to the horn exposed on one side of that fuselage.  It would be good to know how much dihedral and flap sweep there is in that Bonanza of yours.  Each of these options have the advantage that there will be significantly less flexing than the pushrod with the "Y".  That pushrod "Y" just allows for a lot of flex between the flaps.  This amount of flexing is unacceptable for a stunt ship but for a scale model the size of yours, I would think the flexing would be "acceptable" or at least not creating any trim problems that would otherwise be experienced when trimming a stunt ship to fly the pattern.  

1.  It sounds like you may need no more than 20o down deflection of the flaps.  With this amount of deflection (meaning fairly small) you should be able to use a single horn connecting both flaps.  That horn will have to have bushings and mounted to the fuselage to give a solid structure to hold the flap horn and to let it move smoothly.  Then attach that horn to the flaps like on a conventional stunt ship flaps or elevator.  There is a lot of experience with stunt ships with swept forward flap hinge lines and with semiscale stunt ships with quite noticeably swept forward flap hinge lines and dihedral that have the flaps connected this way and there is no binding in the deflection of those flaps through 35o to 40o deflection up and down.  I know that this does not sound like it would work, but it does.  I believe there is enough flex in the hinges, in the manner the horn is mounted to the flaps and in the flaps themselves to allow this movement up and down without any restrictive binding.

2.  If you are concerned that the combined dihedral/flap sweep angle is great enough so that binding would occur at that 20o flap deflection angle, then you could think about using lucky boxes on each flap and the single horn, sort of like described above for the elevators.  There is a bit of a problem here though if you want the hinge line of the flaps to be at the bottom of the airfoil like your drawing shows.  An alternative would be to put the hinge line up inside the airfoil with the LE of the flaps being rounded and the TE of the wing contoured to match the flap LE (as in a scale hinge line location).  This would look better anyway and would probably improve the effectiveness of the deflected flaps.

More things to ponder.

I hope this makes sense.  

Keith
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 05:23:28 PM by Trostle »

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2013, 10:19:58 PM »
    When finished the cowling will be removeable exposing the entire motor and the main body of the nose retract system.

Eric

Eric,

From your photo that shows how your equipment goes into the nose of your Bonanza and with the retract unit positioned to place the pivot and the gear leg in the position to have the extended wheel in the location shown on the drawing, it appears that the unit must swing the gear more than the 90o provided by those E-Flite units.  In fact that rotation looks like it is more like 100o or even 110o.

I am interested in how you are going to get that nose gear to give that much rotation.  Is there a way to change the configuration/stops on those units to do that?  I am really interested because I have the same problem with the nose gear on a project that I am planning for this 1/2A multi-engine profile scale contest here in Tucson.  Also, is it possible to restrict the main gear in the wing to something less than the full 90o rotation of those  E-Flight systems?  If so, how?

Keith
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 05:25:20 PM by Trostle »

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2013, 11:27:11 PM »
I mentioned the possibility of using a single pushrod with a single control horn using "Lucky Boxes".  It could get a little tricky, but I think it can be done.  But for it to work, the pushrod connection to the control horn will have to be on the center line of the model which means that it will have to be inside that rear portion of your fuselage and you will need all of that 1" width allowed for a profile.  To do this lucky box thing, special attention needs to be given where the hinge line of the control horn is positioned relative to the hinge lines of the elevators with that dihedral they have.  That horn must have be bushed so that it can be fixed to the fuselage.  Also, the horn wire in either side of the elevator lucky boxes has to be properly shaped.

Um.  I hate to contradict, but the one time that I used a lucky box was in the one V-tailed stunter I've built, which worked quite well having the horn off to the side.

Unfortunately, the picture shows no detail at all -- it just proves that there's a V-tail, and you have to take my word for it that there's just one control horn.

The key to making it work was to really firmly attach the elevator horn bushing to the stabilizer in just the right spot, and bend the horn correctly.  If the working of the elevator pushrod makes the horn wiggle, then things are gonna bind.  In my case the horn needed to be splayed out at the ends, and it needed to be mounted higher on the stabilizer than I thought was correct at first.  Basically, I fettled until everything worked smoothly with full movement, then I sewed the bushing in place with copper wire and glued it tight with epoxy.  The plane died an early death, but I had no troubles whatsoever with the control system.
AMA 64232

Online bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2013, 10:25:42 AM »
Eric, why not just use a micro servo in each wing for the flaps? Small weight penalty, tremendous simplicity reward!

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2013, 10:35:20 AM »
Eric, why not just use a micro servo in each wing for the flaps? Small weight penalty, tremendous simplicity reward!

Seriously, a great idea.  (Now, disregard most every thing I said about actuating your flaps.  However, I would still recommend placing the flap hinge line to a more scale location rather than on the very bottom of the airfoil.)

Keith

• Captain
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2013, 11:09:58 AM »
     Keith,

I wish I liked Aircoupes better than I do. Having said that let me answer your questions about the e-flite landing gear units. By your question about traveling more than 90 degrees I see that I may have fooled you just a little bit and will confess to my deception. Look again at the picture I attached and notice the angle of the e-flite unit (I'm thinking somewhere around 8 degree slant) and notice the landing gear leg as it comes out of the unit. It comes straight out parallel to the unit or in this case at a 8 degrees angel compared to the level plane. Now notice the angle of the landing gear leg (drawn on the plans) where it is in the extended position at about 8 degrees slanting forward. The e-flite unit only provides 90 degrees of leg movement. SO, I cheated a little and mounted the unit 8 degrees off of where it should have been and made up for it by bending the gear leg back near where the wheel is located.
      My hopes were that the line of the gear leg when down would be the same as the real plane and the judges would be comfortable with that and hopefully over look that the wheel is not directly at the end of the straight portion of the gear leg. That's why I bent the gear leg back right at the wheel so it would not be so noticeable. All of this was done so the wheel would be all the way up in the fuselage when retracted. There my cats out of the bag and the points are fading. Oh, and by the way having the gear bent back that way makes it a trailing wheel so that when I'm doing the taxi portion of the event I can steer the plane somewhat by pulling gently on the lines to turn the plane in and relaxing tension to let it go straight (I think). The e-flite nose gear is steerable and also spring loaded to track straight ahead. I just plan on using the tracking feature not the steerable feature. By forwarned that I have not used any of these features in the field yet so things may not turn out quite the way I want them to. I got my units from Horizon Hobby and I see that e-flite has a website (e-fliterc.com) that you may be able to get more information from.
     About the travel, these gear units will stop anywhere they run into a blockage. I don't know how many ounces it takes to stop them but it must be 5oz to 10oz so if they come up a little crook-ed and rubs against something they will continue to go up until stopped. These units have a electronic (internal non adjustable) sensor that stops them any time they contact an unmovable object.
     Hope this helps you out a little (see declaimer above). I'm a little bit dyslexic when it comes to reading instructions so will go over the information you provided me several times more and will be talking to you more I'm sure, thanks so much.  Eric
Eric

• Captain
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2013, 12:18:26 PM »
     Ok Bill, it is a great idea and man am I approaching information overload. Keith, the reason I was using the hing at the bottom of the wing/flap location was that the first Bonanza's had a "flap gap door" that covered the gap between the wing and flap (more speed in cruise). They discontinued the door on the 1500th plane because they became a maintenance problem and didnt really add that much speed. I went out to the Carson City airport and found an early Bonanza and took some pictures and lo and behold it had the hinges still on it. I've included some pictures. According to the book I have about Bonanzas they should have all been replaced by 1971 but here is one that is still working fine and it looks pretty simple but not all that necessary.  Eric
Eric

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2013, 12:20:58 PM »
Chris,

I think I understand what you explain above regarding your plan to bend the landing gear leg and slanting the unit  in the nose so that it has nearly the angle needed for the forward position of the nose gear when it is extended.  I think, however, (and for me to try thinking does not always work very well) that there is a problem.  Your picture shows the pivot for that nose gear directly in line with the scale strut angle.  That makes sense until we look at where that strut on the retract unit is mounted to the block that rotates on that pivot point.  The strut/wheel assembly will end up well forward of the scale strut position when the gear is extended given where you show the pivot point will be.  So, if you move the whole unit rearward so that the extended nose gear will be in the scale location, even with your "slanted" or bent strut and the angled mounting of the unit, it still rotates only 90o and your strut/wheel assembly will not be fully retracted.

I am holding the nose unit from the E-Flight retract set.  The difference in what I think and what you have written is that the strut on that unit is not in line with the pivot point.  To me, the strut, when it is in the extended (gear down) position will be almost 1/2" (really more like 7/16") in front of the pivot.  I may be wrong on this since I have not actuated this thing to see if the offset really is there.

The solution to this may be that indeed if the mechanism just stops the gear down rotation when that rotating block hits the stop, then carve some of the material away from the frame of that unit that lets that block rotate an additional amount.  If, however, the internal servo mechanism (or whatever it is) is set up to only allow a certain rotation, then this is not a solution.

I hope I explained this so that you can understand what I am trying to say.

Keith

Online bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2013, 12:59:33 PM »
BTW, E-flite makes a 105 degree nose retract, EFLG211105. It is the 15-25 size unit. I don't know if that is a size you can use.

Offline chuck snyder

• Commander
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2013, 03:13:52 PM »
Here is a method I have used to finesse the installation of a retract unit that moves through less than the scale retraction angle. I hopethe drawing will post. Draw the side view of your model and show the scale location of the wheel both extended and retracted. Show the scale strut. Draw a line between the centers of the wheel in the extended and retracted position. At the center pointof this line draw a line perpendicular to it. This line is the locus of all possible centers of retraction. It should pass through the scale center of retraction. Now find the point on this line where the model retract unit must have it's center when the retraction angle is 90 degrees. It can be found several ways. One way is to draw lines that are 45 degrees from the endpoints of the line connecting the wheel up and down centers. Now bend a model strut so that the exposed portion outside the fuselage matches the scale location. I have done this on several twins with retracts mounted in the nacelles.

• Captain
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2013, 10:47:06 AM »
     Documentation?? I really would like to build and compete with this plane as the "POST BROTHERS" Bonanza of the early 1946/47 period. I've gotten in touch with Raymond Post the original owners son and he is excited that I wish to use his fathers plane to model (Ray is married to a girl from my class in HS and I've known him for the past 50 years). The problem so far (this may change as time goes on) is that he doesn't know of very much documentation. He did find a 8 by 10 of his dad "Hap" standing in front of the plane (3/4 front of right side of plane) that shows some of the side of the fuselage with the "POST BROTHERS" logo on it. One important thing is he doesn't remember the NC# but will try to find more information. I'm thinking that there must be a way to find some of this information from the FAA or associated department of Government??
     Would a few of his early pictures along with pictures of detail that I have taken be sufficient as long as I had the right NC# on the plane?
     Say, I actually received the Hobby King sequencer yesterday. I can see why some people have trouble getting it to work. First of all it is a nice looking unit and only cost $12.95 and that is as far as I've gotten with it. I read the instructions oops, I tried to read the instructions but evidently they have been reproduced so many times that some of the writting is illegible, like the part that tells where to plug in the servo leads. ALSO the intructions have not been deciphered from Chinese to English by a English speaking person so you really have to work at it to understand (and so far I'm at a loss). It is smaller than the unit from Tower and the plug ins are at one end of it instead of off to the side so will keep trying to prevail. I get a kick out of some of these RC units that say they are only .55" wide and they are right, that is until you plug in your servo leads and then there 5/8" wide (not what a profile builder wants to run into).  Eric
Eric

Online bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2013, 03:06:32 PM »
With whatever pictures you can get your hands on, do some online research to try to figure what variant it is. First production was 1947, props had wooden blades at first, triangular rear side window added in 1951, etc. Once you identify the variant, get a three view of the exact variant. The variant may be helpful in tracking down the N number through the FAA. Conversely, if you can find the N number, you should be able to use that info to get the variant. I would suggest any detail pictures be the proper variant if not the exact airplane.

• Captain
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2013, 11:16:54 AM »
     The heck with the Aircoupe I should have built a Bellanca 260, tri gear, wheels exposed when retracted and oh that pretty and straight stabilizer (and a plane I've always liked). So anyway I've made up a play stabilizer so I can experiment with the push rods to control the Vee elevators. I've posted some pictures and think I will be OK (famous last words) as I don't need much down and that gives me plenty of up elevator. The Bonanza has a very generous stabilizer and just as generouse elevator area. I do worry a little about being able to flare out in a landing and also pitch when the flaps are down but if its balanced correctly I'm thinking I'll be OK.
     One of the pictures show the stab/elevator with a "GreatPlanes" small Pivot Point Hinge laying on top of it. I think I will use this hinge on the stabilizer,although small there will be 4 per side so think things should be fine. Also I've been wondering what I was going to do about those corrugated control surfaces so drew some lines on the elevator to look like the corrugations but they looked pretty vaig. So I drew them exactly like they are drawn in my 3-view and they look much better. When I started this project I was thrilled to read that the first 40 Bonanza's had fabrick covered control surfaces and thought I could use them. Well Beech took all of those planes back and replaced the fabrick covered ones with the later corrugated ones sooo, darn.
Eric

• Captain
« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2013, 12:09:56 PM »
     Darn, and I really did atach those  pictures (or did I).
Eric

• Captain
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2013, 01:52:57 PM »
     Sense I had some so,so, luck with the elevators and the push rod thing I thought I would build a dummy flap to see it it looked like I could use the same basic method with the flaps. The first 2 pictures show the dummy in the neutral position and the third shows the flap down 20 degrees. I put the hinges at the bottom of the airfoils because my little brain says that would be the easiest place to put them. It all seems to work OK although I'm thinking that I'll have to use the scale speed of 100mph to lower them with that small micro relay. I sure wish I could leave the outside sheeting off of the plane until I had everything installed, adjusted, and working just as I would like it to.
     One thing I do want to do is leave the top of the fuselage (windows and after fuselage back to the stabilizer) and the bottom 1/8"sheeting from the TE of the wing to the stabilizer off of the plane until I have flown it several if not many times seeing how things go. I'm really looking forward to flying this plane and having everything work as it should "over and over and over again". If it happens to do as I hope then I will finish the top and bottom, put all of the trim on fly some more and if everthing is still OK I'll go looking for a contest.
     The forth picture is the wing center section of the outside wing and gear retract unit where it will go. The fifth picture is shot from the wing tip back towards the center and shows the tabs on the bottom of the ribs that keep everything lined up right. I've never built a wing this way, I've always used a full jig that supported the front several inches of the wing full span and also the back 2 inches full span. Also notice that the jig can be moved around anytime it needs to be which comes in handy in my work room. The 6th picture show my one and only work table where I can build my planes and is also used to repair the ones I have (carrier planes) and is my drafting board and everything else board. I sure wish I had about 20 feet of work bench but don't we all.  Eric
Eric

Offline chuck snyder

• Commander
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2013, 05:49:08 PM »
Eric
this web site may be helpful to determine whether your mini servos will handle the flap load. I use it to size servos for my R/C models and it appears to give a reasonable result.
http://agert.homelinux.org/~fredrik/flyg/servo.html
Chuck

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2013, 03:29:20 PM »
     Darn, and I really did atach those  pictures (or did I).

Eric:
GREAT project, thanks for sharing.  It looks like a lot of work but itsgoing to be great!

About the V-tail linkages, you pix#4 really shows it off.  Whne building my V-tail stunters of years past I use RC Aileron horns, that swivel and thus are always align with the pushrod.  Your picture shows why a swiveling horn is a greeat idea there.  With some finesse & fortitude I was able to get this to fit inside of a fuselage less than 1" wide and provide +/- 30 degree throws for a stunter.  I used the Dubro horns, retained with a wheel collar and free to ivot & align...
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

• Captain
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2013, 08:28:21 PM »
     Dennis,

I thought about using ball links as there are several to pick from but I have no hobby shops in my area (closest one is in Sacramento 100+miles away) and it would have to be something I could look at and measure. It use to be that you could get a pretty good description (measurements) of products but it seems that that is in the past now. So I tried something that I was very used to and feel that I can get enough travel with the push rods. The width of 1 inch is the outside measurement which means that I have a little over 3/4 of an inch back there. I could cut out a small section of the skin where the horns are and then cover over it with the Ultrcote color of the plane (may end up doing it) but I think I'll be OK. This project is coming along much slower than I had thought it would. I've been a scratch builder all my life but never a "scale plane" and am finding the scale part is much harder to do than I thought it would be even a profile scale.  Eric
Eric

• Captain
« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2013, 11:41:59 AM »
Well maybe I should bring this up to date as I have been doing some work on the Bonanza. I'll post some pictures along with the updates. #1 picture is pretty much how far I'm along with the final parts. Still doesn't look like much but there is head way. #2&3 are the right landing gear unit mounted where it will be located. I still have to put one more brace in to keep the for and aft loads in check and the wing skin will take care of the side to side loads. #4, nose gear mounted and in the re tracked position. Notice that I had to carefully make the skin as wide as I could right where the axle is located. The nose gear is spring loaded to roll straight ahead so you can gently pull on the control handle to turn the wheel into the circle while taxing, the problem come up when it doesn't quite go back to neutral before retracting. If the landing gear should strike something on retract it will stop by its self and then you have to recycle the gear to get it clear up (not a good thing to happen in a contest).

#5 is looking at the widest spot 1.25" other than the motor at the front of the fuselage. The plan is to have a cowling that covers the motor 1.5" and then comes down over the landing gear unit 1.4" and reaches the bottom of the nose section at 1" wide. Don't know yet whether I will laminate 1/64 ply or go with a fiberglass for the cowling. My plan right now is to complete the plane less the cowl and top section of the fuselage and fly it to see if all of the units function the way they will have to in contest conditions. I will add some more about the tail section in the next post.  Eric
Eric

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #44 on: March 18, 2013, 01:03:15 PM »
Looks good, Eric.
Chris...

• Captain
« Reply #45 on: March 19, 2013, 03:08:45 PM »
Thanks Chris, now for the other end of the Bonanza. #1 pic gives fairly good idea of the room to install the 2 clevises that will control the elevators. There is 3/4"+ width at the back of the stabilizer for the clevises and that could increased to a full inch if I cut the siding away just where the clevises will be moving back and forth. If I do that then I would recover that area with the UltraCote that will be covering the whole plane. Who knows, might not pick up on it at all from 15'. As I work along this the plane that 15' becomes more and more important. #2 pic shows where the cut out would be on the fuselage side just to the rear of the stabilizer. The cut out would look similar to the cut out for a follow through from elevator to the other of a sport plane. I'm thinking I will only need around 38 degrees of throw, 8 degrees down and 30 degrees up (no outside loops).

#3pic I'm so proud of myself on how the stabilizer/elevator turned out. Now if I could just leave it this way I'd be a happy camper but I guess it would work a little better when the control arm and covering is done and the whole tail assembly is attached to the rear of the plane. I'm finding that the building sequence with this scale plane is very different from the carrier planes that I have built.  Eric
Eric

• Captain
« Reply #46 on: March 26, 2013, 04:12:03 PM »
 This scale is something else. I spent 3 days making the doors for the right landing gear and then a week getting them to fit, the right geometry so they would go up and down with the gear, and then playing with 2 different sequencers to make the doors open and close the way they do on a Bonanza. I started with an EMS sequencer and got everything working OK but the sequencer was slow in the fact it would take a whole lap to get the gear up and another whole lap to get it back down. So then I got out the ASSAN (Chinese) sequencer and started playing with it and found the instructions are terrible. I guess they had a Chinese interpret the instructions to English and a lot got lost so you have to stick with messing with it until you get it to work. Once you learn how to adjust it things work pretty good and the cycle time, speed, travel, and end points seem to be adjustable plus it does the whole sequence in 3+ seconds. I've added some pictures of the gear going from up to down. Its much more fun watching it in real time. Do you suppose it will work just as well at the flying field?
Eric

Offline MarcusCordeiro

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • "Never fly faster than your shoulder angel"
« Reply #47 on: April 08, 2013, 07:31:33 PM »
Very cool stuff!

Marcus
Live to fly, fly to live
Aces High!

"There's no try. Do or Do not." - Master Yoda

"Wealth and fame, he's ignorant
Action is his reward, look out
Here comes Marcus, man..."

• Captain
« Reply #48 on: April 14, 2013, 10:48:30 AM »

Here are some more pictures of the outside wing panel. I've been playing with the Hobby King sequencer and have it doing what I want it to do now so have started closing the wing up with sheeting. Course every time I put a new section of sheeting on I have to pull out all of the RC gear and battery and recheck to see if everything is still working. This RC stuff (lucky for us) has been put to a lot of tests and most of the  things that can go wrong have been fixed or made fool proof by the manufactures by now so to my occasional astonishment everything just keeps working. Once all of the sheeting is on the small servo that opens and closes the inside door to the landing gear will be sealed up and to get back in there I will have to cut the wing open to service it and when I get the other wing panel done I'll have two of them. I guess that will be one ultimate test for just how trouble free these componits are.

Yesterday I started putting the Spektrum DX3C Transmiter onto a 4" square piece of extruded aluminum that I'll use for the control handle. This radio along with the Sequencer does everything that I want to do with this plane. Also this transmiter's shape makes it easy to mount on the aluminum extrusion which is something to keep in mind when building one of the control handles. I'll put some pictures in my next entry with some of the high points.  Eric
Eric

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here