News:

• April 26, 2024, 05:45:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Brewster Bufflo profile. pic.  (Read 4460 times)

Offline Allen Goff

• Charter Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • Fellowship of Christan modelers
Brewster Bufflo profile. pic.
« on: October 28, 2011, 10:38:45 AM »
  D>K  I have started the construction on my new scratch build scale project. The Brewster Buffalo profile is 1/6.6 scale and if you look at the plans you see a ST 60 in the nose, that should give you an idea of how big this airplane will be when finished. I am building a profile first to see how it fly's, if all goes well I will build the full body, retracts and all later. I plan to put a Saito 82 four stroke in the profile. The fuse is made out of c-grain balsa and the rest will be contest balsa, hopefully I can get this in around 4 to 5 pounds finished. I will use a three line bellcrank and maybe a fourth controline for operating the flaps. Back to the construction bench.

Blessings
Allen

Offline Jim Fruit

• Commander
Re: Brewster Bufflo profile. pic.
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2011, 01:49:09 PM »
Allen:

4 to 5 pounds / .82 four stroke!  Are you sure you need that much engine? I have put .90 four strokes in scale ships before, but they were in the 13 pound range. Once off the ground, they flew at about 1/3 throttle (or less). I am just wondering if that size engine won't become the largest part of the weight of the model. In the last couple of decades it seems like we have transitioned (both in R/C and CL) to HUGE motors. I guess what I am trying to say is if you are trying to keep the model weight down, won't that large an engine defeat that purpose? Now, when you build the full-bodied copy, with that large round cowl and considerable more weight, I'll bet that .82 would be a perfect application.

Jim Fruit

Offline Allen Goff

• Charter Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2011, 02:59:48 PM »
Jim, #1. I need the weight up front, besides the Saito is not as heavy as you might think. #2. I noticed at the world's held in Muncie back in the 90's that two things are constant in both R/C & C/L scale, to heavy and under powered. On a windy day and you are getting read to do high flight you'll be glad you have the power to see it through. But thanks for your suggestions. y1

Blessings
Allen

Offline PerttiMe

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2011, 03:17:57 PM »
You could also put on scale retracts y1

VD~
I built a Blue Pants as a kid. Wish I still had it. Might even learn to fly it.

Offline Allen Goff

• Charter Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2011, 06:56:03 AM »
Scale retracts. I talked with a company at the Toledo Expo and he said they could make them for me, $1,500. They are not a standard gear, but I have the drawings for the retracts and will make them myself. But not to worry about that now, that is a year down the road.

Blessings
Allen

Offline PerttiMe

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2011, 07:20:46 AM »
My comment about retracts was a bit tongue in cheek as I've seen some R/C guys scratching their heads on the subject of Buffalo retracts.

Last I saw commercial ones mentioned, it was $800 but that was a while ago.

I have found a couple of rough drawings on how they work: the real one and someone's simplified solution.

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2011, 08:14:03 AM »
It appears to me that the true beauty of the above retracts will be the speed with which they actually run!  A great way to get the slower speed we need for the reality factor.
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline PerttiMe

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2011, 10:54:57 AM »
Set up a bit differently, "the Brewster" did quite well against what Russians had.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brewster_F2A_Buffalo#Finland

This one was shot down in 1942, though, but not before shooting down a Hawker Hurricane or two. It was lifted from a lake in Russia in 1998, and after traveling the world a bit it is now in a museum not far from me, displayed as a "stabilized wreck".

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2011, 11:02:47 AM »
Allen - I have some documentation for the Buffalo if you need some. I researched the aircraft for a potential profile carrier model but never built the model. Are you doing the early -1 version or the later version with the longer nose? They extended the nose section at one point. The retracts would definately be a challenge due to it's configuration.

These are the books that I have collected on the Buffalo

U.S. Navy carrier fighters of WW II - Aerodata International
Brewster F2A buffalo - Monograph, Kagero No. 2

Fred C.
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale
Model Aviation CL Scale columnist

Offline Allen Goff

• Charter Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2011, 06:30:06 AM »
Fred, I have some information on the Buffalo but I would appreciate looking over what you have, thanks.

Blessings
Allen

Offline Douglas Ames

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2011, 09:31:02 PM »
I always liked this plane, so basic in design. What plans are you using? I'm curious how you'd do retracts with a profile?
AMA 656546

If you do a little bit every day it will get done, or you can do it tomorrow.

Offline Allen Goff

• Charter Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2011, 10:05:07 AM »
Douglas, I wont be doing retracts on the profile. I am building the profile to see how it flies before going to a 1,500 man hour project. The plans are Jerry Bates 1/6.6 scale, and he sent me the scale drawings for the retracts also. I am laying out the wing today, the profile fuse is ready for carbon fiber and the fin and rudder is finished and covered with coverite fabric. This is going to be one-big-profile, I'm excited about this project. Maybe a picture tonight.

Blessings
Allen

Offline Douglas Ames

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2011, 10:57:18 AM »
OK, thanks!
Are you going to compensate for lack of fuse width in regards to the wing span of your profile? There's got to be considerable difference (add. wing area) with your profile vs. the scale beer barrel fuselage.
Keep the pics coming.
AMA 656546

If you do a little bit every day it will get done, or you can do it tomorrow.

Offline Allen Goff

• Charter Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2011, 03:32:10 PM »
Stab, elevator, fin, and rudder. Worked 7 hours on it today, going to the lazy chair now for a little NCIS and supper. n~

Blessings
Allen

Offline Allen Goff

• Charter Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2011, 04:31:34 PM »
Rain and wind, stayed in today and worked on the F2A. Started laying out the wing and these pictures are 10 hours of work. Cutting the ribs took a lot of time and it was worth it, they all fit.  #^. More later.

Blessings
Allen

Ty, I can imagine a profile Hellcat would be rather large too.

Offline Jim Fruit

• Commander
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2011, 06:40:38 PM »
Allen:

I would like to retract one of my previous statements. After seeing the mass of the airplane, the airfoil depth, etc., I believe you have chosen the right engine for the model.

I have to admire your build times also. Seven hours here, ten hours there. Shoot, I have to budget all day for just a single work item. I apparently build wa-a-ay to slow. The project is looking great, Allen. Whose plans are those?

Jim fruit

Offline Allen Goff

• Charter Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2011, 09:46:17 PM »
Jim, They are  Jerry Bates plans. So far they are spot on. I think you can get plans for any airplane from him.

Blessings
Allen

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2011, 06:15:12 AM »
Allen,

Nice build, I'm learning from you, changing my building ways also. A good thing.

Exactly what Coverite do you use? It is iron on, so does your "doping" chemical penetrate the material so you don't have to rely on the adhesive to make it stick?

Never wrinkles?

CB

Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Jim Fruit

• Commander
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2011, 07:50:10 AM »
CB:

Hate to step on Allen's post, but it was I who told you I use coverite. It is "Super Coverite" that I use. It is iron on. No, you don't have to rely on anything other than its own adhesive to make it stick. In fact, I use mostly house paints now.

I haven't had any wrinkles since I started using it.

Jim Fruit

Offline Allen Goff

• Charter Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2011, 02:21:57 PM »
Jim is correct it has it's own adhesive. I built a Balsa USA 1/3 scale Stearman for a friend and covered it with Coverite. 11 years later no wrinkles. If you want the weave to show go light on the paint, and if you want it smooth as a baby's butt, go the full rout on the paint. I've finished both ways.

Blessings
Allen

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2011, 04:33:30 PM »

Hate to step on Allen's post, but it was I who told you I use coverite. It is "Super Coverite" that I use. It is iron on. No, you don't have to rely on anything other than its own adhesive to make it stick. In fact, I use mostly house paints now. I haven't had any wrinkles since I started using it.

Jim,

Sorry for not remembering that. I apologize.

I'm forgetful and sometimes, in fact a lot of times, I ask repeated questions.  n~

Those that know me, actually help me with this, by simply replying with another answer. Sometimes they lie or get ridiculous just for the kick at my expense! Yea, tell me. 

My guess is, you will see this again, and I hope I have your understanding.

CB
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Michael Boucher

• Captain
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2011, 08:12:18 AM »
Hi Allen, Interesting project your doing. What filler are you using on the fuselage joints?  Thanks, Mike  H^^
AMA 59633

Offline Allen Goff

• Charter Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2011, 02:50:16 PM »
Mike; It is called "SuperFil" made by Poly Fiber. It is a two part filler, I pick it up at Wicks (Their link is on this site) It does a fine job.

Blessings
ALLEN

Offline Michael Boucher

• Captain
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2011, 07:30:04 PM »
Thank you Allen.  H^^
AMA 59633

Offline Allen Goff

• Charter Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2011, 10:24:51 AM »
Next step is the landing gear, I have it bent and ready to mount (temporarily) Then the long, hard part, ready it for paint. Enjoy.

Blessings
Allen

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2011, 10:34:27 AM »
 Allen,

Are you going to do the blue/grey scheme like the photo showing on your wall? Just wondering, it would look great and is easy to do.
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Allen Goff

• Charter Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2011, 08:05:40 AM »
Allen - I have some documentation for the Buffalo if you need some. I researched the aircraft for a potential profile carrier model but never built the model. Are you doing the early -1 version or the later version with the longer nose? They extended the nose section at one point. The retracts would definately be a challenge due to it's configuration.

These are the books that I have collected on the Buffalo

U.S. Navy carrier fighters of WW II - Aerodata International
Brewster F2A buffalo - Monograph, Kagero No. 2

Fred C.

Fred, thanks for the documentation it arrived today. You have gone way be on the the call for help on this project. I have looked it over and found some thing I did not see on what I already had. I am in the process of doping and I hope to start spraying the primer on this week end. Thanks again for your help. y1

Blessings
Allen

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2011, 06:10:27 PM »
Hopefully you can compete at the FCM contest, I'll have my new profile scale flying for that contest also. Happy landings.

Fred
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale
Model Aviation CL Scale columnist

Offline Allen Goff

• Charter Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2012, 06:44:41 AM »
  D>K  Update on the F2A Brewster Bufflow. I am going to the paint store today and get the two part automotive clear and the flattening agent. I will do a little pin striping today and hopefully clear it this weekend. Getting close.

Blessings
Allen

p.s. Thanks Charlie for the insignia's, good work. #^

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2012, 08:35:56 AM »
Allen,

Forget the insignias, my interest is in your canopy?

How did you do it!

Paint?

CB

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2012, 11:33:03 AM »
That's looking very good Allen.  I think it was the original "BUFF", before the B-52.  But, it is ugly in a cute kind of way. ;D

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Allen Goff

• Charter Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2012, 12:24:57 PM »
CB, thanks I appreciate that.
As for the canopy, it is paint and the out lines are a trim tape that has a metal look to it. I wanted the metal parts of the canopy to be 3 dimensional. I still have more to do on it like rivets and bracing.

Went to the paint store today and had a long talk with the sales rep. I did get the clear and the flattner and did a test. I inked and sprayed one elevator and it effects are just what I wanted. So I should be ready to shoot this week some time.

Thanks for the kind words Bill.

Blessings
Allen

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2012, 04:13:51 PM »
quote from Big Bear - "But, it is ugly in a cute kind of way. Grin"

I had a girl friend like that once!! LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2012, 08:54:51 PM »
 Looks great Allen, I like the scheme you chose. Will there be any color added on the cowl? Panel lines?

Wayne Willey

Offline Allen Goff

• Charter Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2012, 05:57:32 AM »
Wayne, no more color, this is the paint job out of the factory. I will be inking panel lines today in hopes of shooting the flat clear on tomorrow or Fri.
Then the landing gear, that will take some thinking and work. HB~> I have the rough set made now I need to finish them according to scale.

Blessings
Allen

Offline Allen Goff

• Charter Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2012, 03:16:33 PM »
  D>K  9 hours of inking and my eye's are starting to see double maybe triple. If you have ever hunted nightcrawlers before you know when you close your eye's you still see those little burgers darting back in their holes. Oh well, I got a lot done today.

Blessings
Allen

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2012, 04:29:09 PM »
Looking Good!!!  What type pf paint?  Also what do you use it ink panel lines?  Again wow!

#^
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Bill Hummel

• 22 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2012, 04:29:23 PM »
Allen, I'm very impressed with the project! Hmmm...with an Impact airfoil, might make a nice stunter!  The inking really makes the
finish jump out at you, super effort!
ama 72090

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2012, 07:03:31 PM »
 The ink looks great and was much needed on this one IMO, it really helps break up the "fattness" of that fuse. A lot of work but worth it when done well, like we see here.

May I suggest this? Add a solid black area on the nose to represent the cowl opening. You would do it above and below the engine beams only on the flat (L/E) part of the nose. Make the flat center of the nose solid black all the way outward from center, to the beginning of the sanded radius transition to the fuse sides. If you do it, you of course want to also round the top and the bottom of that black area. Details details... ;D

Wayne Willey

Offline Allen Goff

• Charter Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2012, 05:51:55 AM »
Wayne, thanks for the suggestion . I shall paint the nose black. I just never considered the scale look on the front of the cow. Again thanks.

Today's project, finish the landing gear.

Blessings
Allen

Offline Allen Goff

• Charter Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2012, 02:38:06 PM »
 D>K The landing gear are 95% done. Shot the flat clear on today (Mon.) and it should be dry enough tomorrow or Wensday to start installing the bellcrank and attach the elevators and the landing gear. I still have the tail wheel landing gear to finish. I hope to have it completely done this week end. Pictures forth coming.

Blessings
Allen

Offline Allen Goff

• Charter Member
  • Admiral
Re: Brewster Buffalo profile. pic.
« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2012, 04:21:51 PM »
 D>K  Here are a couple pictures of the Brewster Buffalo. It is 95% done, I still need to put in the light markers, the spinner, fuel tank, and the throttle linkage. I hope to fire-it-up next week. Then, it's on the wall and on with the next project. I have a new "Petra" stunter built and in primer, and I still want to build a 1/2A scale ship before spring, we'll see.......

Blessings
Allen

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2012, 04:25:15 PM »
I like,, very nicely done sir,,
when do we get a flight report?
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2012, 11:10:28 PM »
 Wow, how do you say it's a very nicely done goofy looking plane? Maybe, it's a very nicely done goofy looking plane? Pretty hard to get around that result with the Buffalo.

Seriously Allen, great job and some serious overkill for what is a "prototype" from what I recall. And the cowl "opening" looks right on.

Very cool model, just watch that crosswind! ;D

Wayne Willey

Offline Mike Lauerman

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2012, 07:28:56 AM »
Allen:

As far as fat profiles go, this eclipses my profile Gee Bee. Magnificent detail, well thought out. Landing gear is an achievement in itself.

Again, as profiles go, this is an extreme example. Kudos.

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #45 on: January 28, 2012, 08:59:17 AM »
Personally, I think he's showing off!  (But then, his work always looks that way.)  Great job, pardner!  Can't wait to see it fly. y1 y1 y1

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #46 on: January 28, 2012, 05:39:18 PM »
Wow, Allen!

That is an awesome "concept" Profile!

What's it weigh?

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #47 on: January 28, 2012, 06:36:34 PM »
Absolutely GREAT Allen!  Is that the right size prop?  If so you are going to have to find another 3-4 inches of prop just to clear the cowl on the full fuselage version.

How about building another with a Cardinal wing and make the most awesome profile stunter ever!
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #48 on: March 30, 2012, 08:51:54 PM »
 So...how does it fly? ;D

Wayne Willey

Offline Allen Goff

• Charter Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #49 on: May 26, 2012, 08:42:18 AM »
First flight report on the Brewster. As with most scales, the CG was a little off, maybe 1/2 oz in the nose. But all in all, I'm pleased, it really fly's great. Don't know when I will compete with it, maybe the FCM contest?
See you at the Brodak contest.

Blessings
Allen

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here