News:

• May 07, 2024, 10:18:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Brand new scale builder!  (Read 847 times)

Walter Hicks

• Trade Count: (0)
Brand new scale builder!
« on: June 08, 2013, 10:07:03 PM »
I have always loved scaled airplanes . I am still in the process of building the Al Rabe Sea Fury for C/L Stunt. However I have decided that it was
time to put my money where my mouth is as I have always said I want to fly Scale. I have questions and would like some help. #1 If I use an
electric system and 2.4 how do I program the ESC? I have an idea of what to do for C/L Stunt on ICE Lite 50 but what if I only want throttle control?
for a scale airplane? I finally got some help to set up the nitro system for 2.4 and now have the servo working and will soon attempt to set up the
system on an old PT-19 ARF (Horizon) so I do not waste a plane I built while I learn how to fly with throttle using 2.4 system. I got the smallest servo I could get will that work for the throttle? ( Servo is Hitech HS 55) I am building A Sterling Mr Mulligan. I Have 0 experience with r/c stuff. Thanks for your assistance

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
Re: Brand new scale builder!
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2013, 11:32:03 AM »
Walter, if you are making it electric there is no servo needed for throttle, the ESC plugs directly into the reciever, no timer needed either. When you get your 2.4 radio it will outline which recepticle the ESC plugs into. For this application what batteries are you planning, a 3S or 4S pack? some ESC the circuits wont like the 4S although with no servos, the current on the regulator power output would be minimal so its likely that you would be ok without a seperate BEC device....
as to programming the ESC, typically on an RC ( or your application) the exc will come programmed from the factory in a suitable mode
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Walter Hicks

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2013, 01:46:29 PM »
Thanks Mark, actually there are two planes one will be nitro, Sterling Mr Mulligan and one will be Electric 52" Mr Mulligan Electrifly .So One will have esc and battery one will be nitro set up .

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2013, 02:03:09 PM »
Walter,

Looking forward to seeing your Mr. Mulligan develop. The Golded Era, you gotta love it!

And guess what? I already have the graphics and lettering for the Mr Mulligan. Made them many times, correct scale appearance also!

When will you get going with it?

I don't know if you have these photos or not. I downloaded them years ago. Finally got to make good use of them. Yes! It's CL. Be interesting to know a bit about it.

Charles
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2013, 03:49:19 PM »
Those photos are of a Sterling C series C/L Scale model of Mr. Mulligan. It is roughly 1/12th scale with a 32 inch wingspan.
Chris...

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2013, 09:54:53 PM »
Looks like the one that was on display for several years in the window of B. Paul Distriutors, 6th & Market St., Philadelphia (great hobby shop!) before it was razed to make way for Independence Mall.
FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2013, 06:48:22 PM »
Here's a Mulligan that's a tad larger, only 103" in span.

Graphics and lettering are as close to scale and correct as I could get. Made the Mulligan stuff many times and many sizes.

Just got the photos today.

Thought I'd share.

I think a Mulligan at about 55" would be perfect.

Charles
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2013, 06:41:43 AM »
I am converting over to 2.4 Ghz and I had to reverse the throttle on the Tactic 650 transmitter so the ESC would work properly. Also the newer 2.4 Ghz transmitters have digital trims, throttle cut and throttle hold. The best I can say is read the manual several times to figure out what has to be done.

Throttle hold will turn the system off so regardless of where you have the throttle stick the ESC won't respond, then turn the system ON and the throttle will work.

Throttle cut is different, I am still learning that one.

The B-29 that I flew in Profile scale at the Nats this year used the older JR radios with down the wire electronic controls, that radio has a analog trim that behaves completely differently than the newer computer radios with digital trims. You can't work the two radios with same process. Make sure you understand the digital trims, throttle cut and throttle hold on the radio system that you have.

I flew two electric powered models at the Nats this year, the one glow powered model that I also had there won't be coming back. Electric is the only way to go. More than a few folks had trouble getting the glow engines to run or keep running.

Fred Cronenwett
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale
Model Aviation CL Scale columnist

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here