News:

• May 08, 2024, 12:43:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: BOM bonus in Fun Scale.  (Read 628 times)

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
BOM bonus in Fun Scale.
« on: March 02, 2010, 05:41:09 AM »
Under the current rules, in Fun Scale, you can buy an ARF, have an expert craftsman make a plane for you, borrow a model, or just fly somebody else's model, and get the same treatment as a real modeler who both builds AND flys his own model.

I have proposed a middle ground between enforcing the full BOM and completely ignoring it.

Under my proposal, a BOM-legal model would be awarded a token bonus of 4 points.  While this would not fully compensate for the impact of an ALL-STAR team composed of a maser builder and a expert pilot, it would give actual modeler a fighting chance.

As always, it's in the powerful hands of the Contest Board.
Paul Smith

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: BOM bonus in Fun Scale.
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2010, 07:29:23 AM »
Under the current rules, in Fun Scale, you can buy an ARF, have an expert craftsman make a plane for you, borrow a model, or just fly somebody else's model, and get the same treatment as a real modeler who both builds AND flys his own model.

I have proposed a middle ground between enforcing the full BOM and completely ignoring it.

Under my proposal, a BOM-legal model would be awarded a token bonus of 4 points.  While this would not fully compensate for the impact of an ALL-STAR team composed of a maser builder and a expert pilot, it would give actual modeler a fighting chance.

As always, it's in the powerful hands of the Contest Board.
I don't think that this is a good plan.  All this would do is incurage master builders to dig out a old model, that he built, and fly it in Fun scale.  As I understand it, Fun Scale is designed to give less talented modelers a chance to compete.  This proposal would give the edge back to the highly tailanted builders.  I can't see how this change would increase the number scale modelers witch I thought was the plan for Fun Scale.

D>K
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline John Witt

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2010, 08:39:27 AM »
What is the typical point spread for winners in Fun Scale? I'm curious, since I've not flown in a scale contest since my misspent youth, and the system was different back in the late 50s.

The average point spread would be a guide to determine if a 4 point bonus makes no difference at all, or was a killer, or about right -- out of a max of 110 points, it looks like a killer.

Since the rules state, and the points awarded indicate, flying is the emphasis, not scale fidelity. Seems to me if you build your own, you'd fly in Sport Scale or Designer Scale anyway. If you bought the model and wanted a trophy, you'd be ruled out of Designer or Sport by the BOM rule, so Fun Scale is where you'd end up.

Since my first recent scale competition is in the future, I would be interested to know how things like this actually shake out. Has Fun Scale really added to the ranks of those who compete, or has it just subdivided the same pool of people who compete regularly?

John W
John Witt
AMA 19892
Edmonds, WA
"Houston, Tranquillity Base here. The Eagle has landed."

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2010, 12:27:22 PM »
The current "Fun" rules allow UNLIMITED violation of the BOM. 

The construction of the model predetermines BOTH the static and the flying scores.  The expected progression of the current status leads to total domination by professionally-built airplanes and actual modelers being squeezed out.

By my observation the point spread varies according to the jury. 
Sometimes the top models could be from 102-to-108 points. 
With another set of scorers the same planes and flights might range from 78-to-95.
That's why they call 'em 'judges".  It's a personal judgement call. 

The current deal is nothing more than a blind carryover from RC, where actually building model airplanes went by the wayside decades ago.  There is no reason for CL to follow in lockstep with them.
Paul Smith

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2010, 01:26:35 PM »
The expected progression of the current status leads to total domination by professionally-built airplanes and actual modelers being squeezed out.

We are talking about Fun scale right,,
are you really serious ?
who would care enough in FUN SCALE to spend big bucks, and if they did, so what, they got their 2$ reward
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2010, 01:27:24 PM »
It is virtually impossible for everybody to win!!!  If you want feel good it's called a fly-in.  As soon as you start judging the cream of the crop will float to the top.  The only solution would be to have classes and keep records as to who is winning in a class.  Earn a certain number of points and you move up to the next class.  I believe they do this in stunt.  I am told that OTS was intended for the lessor fliers but has evolved into a chance for the experts to fly one more time.  We who love the sport will compete win or lose.  We will marvel at what beat us and try and do better next time.  I have only been to two scale contest, both at St Lewis MO.  I enjoyed just being their.  Great people, tall tails, and some really good flying.  What can I say, competition is not for everyone.  Fun Scale is not about the airplane it is about flying.  The current 10 points is just enough to keep it looking like scale and give the non builder a place to get his feet wet.  If there is any gripe in fun scale it should be that you need a throttle to be competitive.  I am converting an RC ARF for fun scale. It will have a 6 channel controll handle (I will be using 4 of the channels) and 6 servos.  Electronics is my strong suite.  Does this give me an unfair advantage?  My flying sucks so I still may not win.  But trust me I WILL HAVE FUN!!!!

#^   #^   ~>   H^^
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
  • I am 5 Ft. 8 In., the Taube is 7 Ft. 4 In.
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2010, 02:19:28 PM »
I cannot recommend approval of this Rules Change Proposal CLS11-18.  

It would work against the idea of getting more modelers to TRY CL Scale.

My Rules Change Proposal CLS11-12 for event 526 Fun Scale Relaxes the rules by Exempting the model from penalties for Dummy Pilot, Retract landing gear and the requirement for a throttle.  

My Rules Change Proposals CLS11-13 and CLS11-14 switch the two Divisions identified in the Profile Scale Rules with the different classes based on skill or age level identified in the Fun Scale Rules.  Fun Scale would end up having 2 divisions.  Division #1 is for novice contestants only.  Division #2 is open to any contestant with prior CL Scale experience.  Profile Scale would be handled the same as Sport Scale.

My intent for these changes were to give the 'new to Scale' flier a place to "get his feet wet" in a contest environment without having to compete against the All-Stars of CL Scale.  

At the 2009 NATS we had contestants enter their Stand way off scale stunt models, that did not have throttle or retracts and also no dihedral in the wing, in Fun Scale.  Their flight scores were downgraded because of the lack of a throttle and retracts.  I do not know how they finished, but I do know they enjoyed the experience and said they would return.

Clancy
Clancy Arnold
Indianapolis, IN   AMA 12560 LM-S
U/Tronics Control
U/Control with electronics added.

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2010, 02:35:27 PM »
We are talking about Fun scale right,,
are you really serious ?
who would care enough in FUN SCALE to spend big bucks, and if they did, so what, they got their 2$ reward

At The Brodak, a huge RC-ARF B-17 with four big engines (35's or 40's) was entered in Fun Scale.  So you can't convince me that guys don't go ALL OUT to win the event.  An event is an event, no matter what you name it.

ps:
I still use my 30-year old Sig SPAD with an old OS 35, a $30 set of equipment, but I BUILT IT.
Paul Smith

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2010, 05:33:25 PM »
At The Brodak, a huge RC-ARF B-17 with four big engines (35's or 40's) was entered in Fun Scale.  So you can't convince me that guys don't go ALL OUT to win the event.  An event is an event, no matter what you name it.

So what. All they got was 10 points.  Still a cool contest for those that don't have the time or talent to build.

D>K  Z@@ZZZ
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2010, 05:13:35 AM »
No matter what event a person or club comes up with and calls it a contest, someone or several people will go all out to win.  The only way to win in Fun Scale is by flying.  Go to a scale contest sometime and watch the competition.  You can tell real fast who practiced their flying and who didn't.  Leave Fun Scale alone as I think some people are flying that normally wouldn't. R%%%%
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
  • I am 5 Ft. 8 In., the Taube is 7 Ft. 4 In.
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2010, 01:44:29 PM »
Doc
My Rules Change Proposals for Fun Scale are to remove restrictions from the event, not add more. 

As I stated on the Proposal "This rule change would allow a "new to scale" modeler to fly "what he brought."

Paul
The B-17 was built from a kit by Ed Mason and is powered by four OS 25 engines, not 35 or 40's as you stated.  He has, at present, two of those beautiful ships and brought both to Brodak's and the 2009 NATS.  He has an additional kit and is building a third one which Will have my U/Tronics Control system installed.

Clancy
Clancy Arnold
Indianapolis, IN   AMA 12560 LM-S
U/Tronics Control
U/Control with electronics added.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here