News:

• May 05, 2024, 05:36:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: BOEING PLANES worth modeling? Found in my old Boeing retirement box  (Read 551 times)

Offline Shultzie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
I have been going through batch's of my old Boeing retirement box's....Found these two nice 8X10s. (Pre-80A???) I didn't label either of these two B&W shots of the "X-234" with the OPEN "MAN-UP" COCKPIT! (80-B?)
Ever since seeing this beautiful full scale  similar A-80at the Museum of Flight...I have always wondered if anyone has used either one of these  early designs..for a control line scale project?

The color shot is from one of my old modelmakin' bud's...The late Petester' Petee' Bowers...This color illustration is the cover painting by Uie Feist.
However my all time favorite 80 A artist was the amazing Jack Bird. I have seen that beautiful Red original painting that was hanging in the old Archives bldg. now long gone.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 03:56:16 PM by Shultzie »
Don Shultz

Offline John Witt

• Captain
Re: BOEING PLANES worth modeling? Found in my old Boeing retirement box
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010, 03:16:49 PM »
Now that's cool. It would be worth doing just to do the exhaust pipes. The plane looks like something Flash Gordon would fly. I've never seen this one, do you know what it is and how many were built?

John W
John Witt
AMA 19892
Edmonds, WA
"Houston, Tranquillity Base here. The Eagle has landed."

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010, 03:29:37 PM »
Now that's cool. It would be worth doing just to do the exhaust pipes. The plane looks like something Flash Gordon would fly. I've never seen this one, do you know what it is and how many were built?

John W

All these years...(I too) just thought this was a pre 80-A with an open cockpit...but after "looking in Pete's book...."DAAAAAA!" This is the open cockpit 80-B version and only one was built.
 Here is another shot from Bowers book.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 04:04:39 PM by Shultzie »
Don Shultz

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
  • I am 5 Ft. 8 In., the Taube is 7 Ft. 4 In.
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 06:43:57 PM »
I like it!!!

As a Scale Static Judge, I would be looking very hard at the props on the model.  
A two blade prop on the center engine and three blade props on the outboard engines.  Can you say different?

Can you document the color of the 80-B?

If the color can be documented and a good three view drawing obtained then it is a viable candidate.  A well documented "one of a kind" would be a show stopper!
Clancy
Clancy Arnold
Indianapolis, IN   AMA 12560 LM-S
U/Tronics Control
U/Control with electronics added.

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2010, 09:47:15 AM »
My long time Boeing Bud' Micheal Lombari, who is director for the archives can double check the paint scheme for us. I have his E mail and phone...
Also I remember seeing some beautiful old vintage Boeing drawings made for the special projects modelmakers of the 80-A in the drawers of the archives. I would bet the color scheme of that old 80-B is also available on request.

The late Pete Bowers knew more than just about anyone...when it came to the 80-A & B..when he was doing R&D for his book.
(Flybaby Pete Bowers) was an amazingly gifted Boeing Modelmaker as well...and saying that is was addicted to airplanes...is truly an under statement. H^^
Don Shultz

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010, 02:42:00 PM »
Talk about short term memory loss about this beautiful old Vintage 1933 Boeing Model 80-A...GADS!
This morning I was digging through my old plans box of junk...and ran across a huge sized blue print that was given to me as a new employee when during a lunch break....my workplace was in the same bldg. as the Boeing Archives...in the mid 70's when I just happened to see an old model building friend of mine "Hal" Brackin in the hallway. Talk about a lucky day, Hal gave me my first tour of the Boeing Archives that day at lunch.

LIKE A SKUNK WHEN THE WIND CHANGED...WOW! here is the link to my original post. I actually thought I had given this plan away to one of my recent wind tunnel retirement co-workers who loves that old Boeing 80-A and actually worked on the restoration program for its debue at the Museum of Flight just down the road from our Windtunnel.

www.stunthanger.com/smf/index.php?topic=8242.0
Don Shultz

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here