News:

• April 27, 2024, 05:24:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Any info on forward swept wing mustang?  (Read 854 times)

Offline Robert McHam

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Any info on forward swept wing mustang?
« on: June 25, 2007, 10:34:47 AM »
There is a mention:
" Thoughts were given to a very radical P-51 with both a prop and a jet engine. This design concept had wings that were 'swept' forward. It was found that 'aft sweep' gave wingtip stall problems, so forward sweep was studied first. But the swept-wing P-51 never went beyond the drawing board as the wing suffered from a twisting divergence under load."
of this oddity on this site in the fifth paragraph:
http://sabre-pilots.org/classics/v41develop.htm

Though the plane may not have made it past the drawing board, (lots of planes never did) at least the wing may have for testing purposes.

I have seen a plan for this plane once so there must be some drawings out there somewhere. I can hardly imagine this development late in time to have anything but the bubble canopy yet the model plan I saw most certain;y had the early style canopy and turtle deck. At least that is how I remember it. Could there have been another FSW version considered before the canopy change took place?

Any help or knowledge of this?

Robert

Crop circles are simply open invitations to fly C/L!

Offline Don Hutchinson AMA5402

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
Re: Any info on forward swept wing mustang?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2007, 11:46:26 AM »
I'll try again

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2007, 11:48:55 AM »
Gee, it's bigger than that in my document file! If you want a hard copy mailed to you let me know where to send it.

Don

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2007, 02:08:13 PM »
That, my friend is way cool! Don'tcha think so too?

Looks very much like a Reno racer and could be the turtledeck I was referring to was only what is seen here. It's a shame they lost the radiator underneath the fuse/wing as that really helped define the P-51 profile. However it would not be needed so why have it?

I cannot make out any writing on the .jpg but does it give this plane a designation?
I see one balloon note under the wing, is that the CG? 3-views don't usually give CGs so I am guessing it is something else.

Wow! The wing roots are quite rearward aren't they? I suppose this was to try to keep the CG about the same in relation to the fuselage so that the handling would be similar at prop speeds.  There sure is a lot of dihedral! You can also notice the downthrust in the prop motor.

Thanks so much for the quick reply and the pic. I hope someone else has info they could share as well.

Robert
Crop circles are simply open invitations to fly C/L!

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2007, 09:07:44 AM »
Unfortunately, my source for the drawing doesn't contain any further info. It came out of the Squadron/Signal book "F-86 Sabre in Action". Was contained in a brief section on developments leading up to the Sabre.

Don

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here