News:

• May 02, 2024, 03:44:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Adjustable control handles for CL Scale.  (Read 596 times)

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • I am 5 Ft. 8 In., the Taube is 7 Ft. 4 In.
Adjustable control handles for CL Scale.
« on: May 10, 2011, 03:04:10 PM »
On the Ringmaster Forum there is a discussion of adjustable handles.

I Have been making only Adjustable Hard Point Handles for my CL Scale planes lately.

Since the sensitivity of the controls of a new designed Scale model is unknown an adjustable handle is helpful.  I make the first flight with the lines connected to the center holes.

What you cannot see in the picture is that there are three holes in each arm.  This gives me a range of line spacing from 2 3/4 to 5 inches and Bias adjustment of +/- 1/4 on each line for a total Bias adjustment range of 1 Inch.
Here is a picture of the one for my CL Scale Taube.
Clancy Arnold
Indianapolis, IN   AMA 12560 LM-S
U/Tronics Control
U/Control with electronics added.

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Adjustable control handles for CL Scale.
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 11:00:09 PM »
For those of you that want to buy a ready made handle similar to Clancy's CLC has a Tom More handle very similar.

http://www.clcentral.com/proddetail.asp?prod=HNDL-6

I have modified another style Tom More handle for my scale ships.  However I had to modify it to make sure it was insulated.  The HNDL-6 is already insulated.
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline roger

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 11:49:43 AM »
still dont get it, all that stuff looks like the phone box in front of my house by the street. maybe clancy should work at nasa... y1

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 02:50:24 PM »
Give it a few more months and the Fancy handles will all go away.  According to the June 2011 issue of Model Aviation (page 131 Bill Boss' Control Line Scale column) the rule change allowing 2.4 GHZ transmitters to be used for control line will soon pass.  Supposedly you can buy a 2 channel Tx Rx for around $80 from tower. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXAURP&P=7
It is a car pistol grip style Tx.  It would be quite easy to rig it as an control line handle.  For and electric scale you would have to mount the Rx (recever) in the airplane and it would be powered by the BEC of the speed controller.  On a gasser you will need to mount the recever, recever battery, and a throttle servo.  I have to admit it will be a lot easier to set up than any of the existing systems.  Am I in favor of the change - NO.  But that could be because I build my own fancy handle.  O well - If it is good for the sport so be it.

:'(
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
  • I am 5 Ft. 8 In., the Taube is 7 Ft. 4 In.
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 06:52:01 PM »
How am I going to control three functions with two channels? My new 1914 Jeannin Stahltaube requires three proportional channels Throttle, Wing Warp and Rudders plus the mechanical control of the Elevator.

I have competed with CL models that used 7 channels plus the elevator!

I would not call this a done deal by a long shot.  There are only so many 2.4 GHz channels and if CL starts using channels soon RC will start having problems.
Clancy
Clancy Arnold
Indianapolis, IN   AMA 12560 LM-S
U/Tronics Control
U/Control with electronics added.

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2011, 10:22:10 PM »
How am I going to control three functions with two channels? My new 1914 Jeannin Stahltaube requires three proportional channels Throttle, Wing Warp and Rudders plus the mechanical control of the Elevator.

I have competed with CL models that used 7 channels plus the elevator!

I would not call this a done deal by a long shot.  There are only so many 2.4 GHz channels and if CL starts using channels soon RC will start having problems.
Clancy

That's the point. Spread spectrum 2.4 GHz radios don't have channels. If by magic you can run a bunch side by side and they don't interfere with each other.  I don't know how many you can run at once.  At our local RC flying sight they don't seem to care how many get turned on at once.

Futaba has a 14 channel rig for a mear $2300.00.  http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXTNB3&P=7
I am not sure how you would deal with all the knobs and switches and a control line handel.  As I said before I don't like the idea but I bet it is coming and soon.
 S?P  R%%%%
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 12:53:46 AM by John Rist »
John Rist
AMA 56277

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here