News:

• May 02, 2024, 08:21:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: ABS plastic  (Read 2994 times)

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
ABS plastic
« on: February 04, 2015, 06:35:26 AM »
Just playing around with ABS plastic. Rods in this application.
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: ABS plastic
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2015, 06:33:30 PM »
More tinkering.

Paper cockpit straps with, "easy to bend" paper clip ends.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2015, 07:49:24 AM »
ABS & balsa

Online Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2015, 09:43:13 AM »
Nice detailed stuff, Charles.  Where do you get the round ABS stock?
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2015, 06:42:31 AM »
Will,

Hey! Hey! Thanks for taking a look.

My LHS has a display ficture that rotates, kinda like what holds eyeglasses in a drug store.

All kinds of stuff, angle, channel, flat, round, square, and in all kinds of sizes from really small, smaller than what you see, to large. Sold in lengths, 3-4 to a package. 4.00.

Not many glues that I have work well with it. I use "thick" CA and hit it with the speed activator. But there is a special ABS glue, I never tried to hunt it down for anything I've done with CL. I had some of it years ago, melts the ABS, like welding.

That cage is the only place I used the tubing. The detailing for this model is simple and light, in fact, it's mostly paper and soft balsa,  really light. I did use a tad of thin flat ABS stock.

The flat stock can be made into just about anything. You can bend and form any ABS material with heat. You neet heat to bend rods also.

I heat the rod then lay it in a jig that has the shape. Cools off it stays the shape. Without the jig you cannot control the radius or the bend.

Ask me how I know?  n~

I started this cockpit 15 years ago and will probably never finish the model? Mostly all flat stock.

Photos have been Posted before. More work than I'd like to admit.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2015, 04:11:41 AM »
Here's a sheet of ABS plastic formed over the same plug used for the clear canopy.

Removing what you don't want leaves a nice canopy frame. Great for scale military models or just to add weight.  n~

Or you can just mask the canopy and paint the frame.

Works either way.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here