News:

• April 30, 2024, 03:17:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: A few scale planes at Pocatello, Idaho 1972  (Read 854 times)

Offline Ty Marcucci

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
A few scale planes at Pocatello, Idaho 1972
« on: January 28, 2009, 09:14:46 PM »
A Polish Fighter, Don Gieslers DC-6, Bob Parkers ME 110 & P47.
Ty Marcucci

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
Re: A few scale planes at Pocatello, Idaho 1972
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 02:04:03 AM »
Thanks Ty,
Neat looking models.
Chris...

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2009, 09:57:19 AM »
Nice memory shots...Ty
Is this the same Douglas DC-7 of Don's?
This scan was from an old photo taken at SanPoint. I foggingly remember that a similar airliner was also on the cover of a model magazine in those early daze-days?
Don Shultz

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2009, 10:23:10 AM »
Hi Don. Nope, two different models. What is the difference between the DC 6B and a DC7?  I always thought the DC 7 was the first Douglas jet?

Take note just how DANGEROUS starting all those engines with the 4 bladed props can be.
Note the 10 slices that DC-7's 4 bladers did to our stunt judges right paw after taking part in starting those snarling flesh eating props.
Also note the following season's NW warm weather gardb especially designed for Tacoma hobby shop owner and stunt judge icon-----(opps! STEVE and NW grunts..I am having a 70 seniors  long term memory lapse moment? GADS!)
How could I ever forget just how much of my meager paycheck $$$ were dropped into that often daily visit to his shop that was just BLOCKS from Ben and Marg's bed and breakfast, where I would go for a free-bee cup of coffee.
 GADS! If anyone remembers just how BEAUTIFUL Ben basement hanger shop was in those days...SAY!!!!AMEN! AMEN!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAMEN! (n' young ladies too)
Don Shultz

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2009, 10:37:55 AM »
Hi Don. Nope, two different models. What is the difference between the DC 6B and a DC7?  I always thought the DC 7 was the first Douglas jet?
Can't remember...HOWEVER! I WILL NEVER FORGET THAT RIDE FROM THE PITS OF HELL on n' old Streeeeetched DC-8, in the middle of a thunderstom on the way back from the 69 Philly nats. Talk about HANG ON!....while sitting in the back seats, while looking forward, you could hear hear the "oil-canning, forward and backward sounds of the rippling alumn. fuselage skins INSIDE THE PASSENGER AREAS...and worse yet...
the memory of  just looking down that looooong center isle and seeing the torque and twisting of the entire front bulkhead was mind boggling.
 Because of that loooong long center isle...you could see and feel the body actually twisting, bouncing up, down, side ways in opposite directions.
Stories of those DC stretch airliners are infamous.
Lew McFarland also had some stories about that 1968 flight  from the World Cup. Not only did they hear constant oil canning noises...
WORSE YET...HE HAD TO CUT THE OUT BOARD SECTIONS OFF HIS BEAUTIFUL 1/4 OVERSIZE SHARK 45 WING before leaving...because of those COMPARTMENTISED CARGO CARRRIER HOLDS  proved just a bit too small for that larger sized new Shark wing of his.

After arriving back...he had to carefully  re-attach and rebuilt that other wing tip panel onto that beautiful model, just days before the trip to Olatha.

I am still amazed to see that soooo many of those old Stretched DC-8 survived for so many years?
Don Shultz

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2009, 12:58:41 PM »
Neat shots, guys.

What's amazing is that the level of workmanship is so high on these C/L models. The DC-6 is very nicey shaped, cowlings and nacelles look pretty well shaped, and the finish also is well done.
The color slide of the DC-7 is revealing. The nacelles and cowlings are very close to the -7, and the overall shapes and finish is really quite beautiful. The aluminum covering is super. It also looks as if the -6 is aluminum covered too.

Ty,
DC-6 is the same as the C-118, R-2800's and three bladed props. Some late ones had spinners.
DC-7 is longer fuselaged, winged, and has R-3350's with four bladers. No military versions. Huge nacelle shape changes and BIG carb and oil cooler inlet fairings (better fineness ratio shapes for streamlining).
DC-8, like Don says is the jet. There are a bunch of models and it soldiers on as a freighter to this day in varying forms of modification.

I'd like to see more of these ships on the flight line at our contests, they are so neat!

Chris...

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here